How far does a solenoid spool travel?

Pump
Pump

June 14th, 2012, 8:37 am #1

I wondering how something a solenoid like Parker, ASCO or Humphrey spool has to travel since scored a bunch of broken ones and wanna see if I could rig one as a cocker 3way

sniper1rfa
sniper1rfa

June 14th, 2012, 10:50 am #2

things like port size, port configuration, and actuation method (direct, air pilot, whatever) all change how much the spool moves.

Pump
Pump

June 14th, 2012, 1:34 pm #3

Would the spool travel of a Humphrey HEA10, ASCO, or Skinner K4H01 spool travel less than a quickswitch or bomb?

Maker of Toys
Maker of Toys

June 14th, 2012, 6:22 pm #4

but to reiterate:

As a rule, spools move more than poppets. COnversely, the solenoids on piloted valves typically move very little.

Solenoid travel is a function of the construction of the valve, it's purpose, the expected pressures and flows, etc,etc, ad Nausium. If you post an exact model number with date code and revision, someone here might be able to find out for you; but without that information, we can only speak in generalities.

best way is to dissassemble some and measure. . . . or to ask the manufacturer for the data sheet on the various units you have

Pump
Pump

June 14th, 2012, 10:09 pm #5

So as long as the spool in solenoid valves generally travel shorter than a bomb then I'm golden

Oh and I'm confused when you said "spools move more than poppets" what did you mean? That there are solenoids that use poppets to switch the air? Or the gun valve design?

Barry
Barry

June 14th, 2012, 10:21 pm #6

Pull the solenoid coil off the valve, push the spool pin and measure how far it travels. That will be it's max travel.

Maker of Toys
Maker of Toys

June 14th, 2012, 11:10 pm #7

So as long as the spool in solenoid valves generally travel shorter than a bomb then I'm golden

Oh and I'm confused when you said "spools move more than poppets" what did you mean? That there are solenoids that use poppets to switch the air? Or the gun valve design?
nuemagic/technology

ydna
ydna

June 15th, 2012, 5:34 pm #8

I wondering how something a solenoid like Parker, ASCO or Humphrey spool has to travel since scored a bunch of broken ones and wanna see if I could rig one as a cocker 3way
The spools in a pilot-actuated solenoid valve will only need to move around 0.040 inches to shift. The design of the spool is more intricate than that of most mechanical three-way valves, since the solenoid doesn't have an o-ring that has to "cross over" an air port like the three-way valves do (most of them anyway). Instead the spool has thin o-rings which only need to be unseated to expose the air port, then another o-ring seals it off on the other side...the result is shorter travel amongst other things.

That would be the general rule for most solenoids used in paintball that employ a pilot valve (generally most Parker, Humphrey, ASCO, and SMC solenoids that we use fall into this category). The big exception in paintball is Mac valves, most of which don't use a pilot. All the aforementioned companies make solenoids in both pilot and no-pilot versions, but for the paintall application we end up using ones that have a pilot for battery reasons (also for their small size).

If you check the datasheets for the solenoids you have on-hand, oftentimes you can find a cutaway drawing that will give you an idea of how far the spool travels. Airsoldier.com hosts a lot of the datahseets you would want, or datasheets for similar valves.

^^ very similar to the Parker solenoids in terms of layout

Pump
Pump

June 15th, 2012, 8:55 pm #9

0.040 eh? Thank you!
I was on your site few days ago and it's the reason why I thought of trying this

Algaean
Algaean

June 18th, 2012, 8:30 pm #10

...c'mon, somebody had to say it!