1:35 AM - Oct 02, 2018 #11

Not sure thats as deep as I am thinking. 
__
Designer / maker of Jeep gauges and assorted automotive bits and baubles.
TeamADW.com

6:30 PM - Oct 03, 2018 #12

BruceTheLoon wrote: The boys over at Home Brew Talk came up with using salt, a q-tip and electricity to etch numbers into stainless steel boil kettles.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/thre ... le.463493/
Etching using salt water, a q tip and moving electrons is a very old knifemakers trick, you can buy commercial units, but that tends to get pricy. Theres a number of homemade units out there, commonly using a doorbell transformer and some common electronic components, about the only thing that was unusual is the handset, which you can get for around 30 bucks from one of the electro etching suppliers, which vastly speeds up the process due to it being much larger. Your best bet is to google "diy electroetching"..

11:13 PM - Oct 03, 2018 #13

And FWIW, ferric chloride reacts interestingly with aluminumimimn under the right (wrong) circumstances. Oops

12:50 PM - Oct 04, 2018 #14

Do tell...

1:27 PM - Oct 04, 2018 #15

I believe it gives off hydrogen and heat.

We had a guy in school try to etch a printed circuit board in a disposable aluminum pan. That didn't work so well.
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

5:14 PM - Oct 04, 2018 #16

Wonder why elemental aluminum was unknown until the 19th century. 😁

5:59 PM - Oct 05, 2018 #17

Machinist72 wrote:
BruceTheLoon wrote: The boys over at Home Brew Talk came up with using salt, a q-tip and electricity to etch numbers into stainless steel boil kettles.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/thre ... le.463493/
Etching using salt water, a q tip and moving electrons is a very old knifemakers trick, you can buy commercial units, but that tends to get pricy. Theres a number of homemade units out there, commonly using a doorbell transformer and some common electronic components, about the only thing that was unusual is the handset, which you can get for around 30 bucks from one of the electro etching suppliers, which vastly speeds up the process due to it being much larger. Your best bet is to google "diy electroetching"..
That sort of setup was already my plan. I have 2 benchtop power supplies (5a, 2-30v DC) to do the power, and can replicate those pads pretty easy. Masking will be done with my printer. We have flatbed inkjet that lays down liquid plastic and then cures with UV, which can later be removed with denatured alcohol. 
__
Designer / maker of Jeep gauges and assorted automotive bits and baubles.
TeamADW.com