Helped move a new toy yesterday

Helped move a new toy yesterday

S7G
S7G

October 22nd, 2011, 8:28 pm #1

SO I get a call from my Nephew "Doc the one you met with the machine shop"
He bought a new toy that weighed several thousand pounds and need some expertise on how to move it.
So he called in the family Loadmaster ;p
Loading the Lathe was the easy part as he a forklift.
Tiedown not so much as it was over grossing the trailer and screw in eye bolts where never meant to hold a big lathe in place. Luck for him I have lots of heavy duty straps and we used them to tie it to and around a to the bed of the trailer.
The 10 mile ride went off with a hitch ,even wit a stop for a McRib. Did I mention The McRib?
His house is up a step driveway so I had them back as close to his garage as possible and this left the Truck in a precarious position as it was flexing at the hitch and almost lifting the little trucks rear tires of the ground.
He had no Idea how to get it off his trailer. But he soon found out why I had him bring some spare rods from his shop.
We used a floor jack to jack up one end and put the rods under it.The trailer wood almost broke as it was flexed down a good 4 inches.We used a sheet of plywood to shore the trailer gate and pushed of the lathe.
I had used a strap as a safety and a brake to control the speed.
One more time of jacking it up and then we changed the angle of the rods and pushed her right into the corner it was supposed to go into!
So folks when you do not have the proper tools just call out a Loadmaster and all will be good!

P-3

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

October 23rd, 2011, 3:25 am #2

... We have a new rule. All posts bragging about "new toys" must be accompanied by a photo. Even if the new toy isn't yours.

Doc.

IDN
IDN

October 23rd, 2011, 5:03 am #3

SO I get a call from my Nephew "Doc the one you met with the machine shop"
He bought a new toy that weighed several thousand pounds and need some expertise on how to move it.
So he called in the family Loadmaster ;p
Loading the Lathe was the easy part as he a forklift.
Tiedown not so much as it was over grossing the trailer and screw in eye bolts where never meant to hold a big lathe in place. Luck for him I have lots of heavy duty straps and we used them to tie it to and around a to the bed of the trailer.
The 10 mile ride went off with a hitch ,even wit a stop for a McRib. Did I mention The McRib?
His house is up a step driveway so I had them back as close to his garage as possible and this left the Truck in a precarious position as it was flexing at the hitch and almost lifting the little trucks rear tires of the ground.
He had no Idea how to get it off his trailer. But he soon found out why I had him bring some spare rods from his shop.
We used a floor jack to jack up one end and put the rods under it.The trailer wood almost broke as it was flexed down a good 4 inches.We used a sheet of plywood to shore the trailer gate and pushed of the lathe.
I had used a strap as a safety and a brake to control the speed.
One more time of jacking it up and then we changed the angle of the rods and pushed her right into the corner it was supposed to go into!
So folks when you do not have the proper tools just call out a Loadmaster and all will be good!

P-3
Mmmmmm McRib...(Homer Simpson)

Is there really such a thing as a load master???????
I know an old man that was a millwright for 30 years, he might be a load master, except he would just use his big backhoe prolly. Its hard to say how HE might have handled it, he is a very resourceful man, but he is use to having the right equipment I think...

Bunker_o_matic
Bunker_o_matic

October 23rd, 2011, 3:13 pm #4

At least in the Air Force there is. My uncle is a Loadmaster for c-17's.

S7G
S7G

October 24th, 2011, 7:08 pm #5

... We have a new rule. All posts bragging about "new toys" must be accompanied by a photo. Even if the new toy isn't yours.

Doc.
Doc,
I will take pics for you when he has everything up and running.
He still has that free tool for you all wrapped and ready to go if you can figure out how to get it to Alaska.

P-3