haveblue (aka airsoldier) on slashdot!

haveblue (aka airsoldier) on slashdot!

ed
ed

July 26th, 2012, 5:14 pm #1

Congrats to Mike for making news again...

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/12/0 ... rinted-gun

nerobro
nerobro

July 26th, 2012, 5:23 pm #2

darn you.

mouse
mouse

July 26th, 2012, 5:54 pm #3

He is alive!!

Renegade_Azzy
Renegade_Azzy

July 26th, 2012, 8:24 pm #4

But how is he first? Because he got on slashdot first? Plastic lowers have been available for some time, and home printed examples for a few years now.

When they said pistol, I was waiting to see a plastic 1911 clone (with an obviously correct barrel, chamber and whatnot)... damn.

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

July 26th, 2012, 9:03 pm #5

I, too, was pretty sure I'd seen printed receivers before, and of course plastic ones have been commercially available for years.

I suspect, however, that HB's is considered a "first" because it's essentially ready-to-use right out of the printer. Other 3D printed ones were most likely out of weaker resins (a lot of stereolithography-type stuff is meant only to check fit and appearance, as is far too weak to actually use) or too "coarse"- not close enough tolerance- or needed significant finishing (surfaces milled to fit, holes drilled, etc.)

Just guessing, but it looks like HB's might have only needed the grip attachment screw tapped in order to use. (He said the buffer tube threads were modelled, but he didn't mention the grip screw.)

So presumably "first" as in the first one that's basically plug-and-play. Print, assemble, shoot.

Doc.

Evil Monkey
Evil Monkey

July 26th, 2012, 11:55 pm #6

Having actually held the lower in question, I can't say for certain whether or not he had to tap the grip screw... The buffer tube did thread in perfectly. It is sad that there are several web "articles" out there demonizing his work. Some are report that the whole gun was printed...

ed
ed

July 27th, 2012, 2:14 pm #7

It's no coincidence that the story was picked up after the recent shooting in Colorado. The media is becoming a mouthpiece for foment on guns, gun ownership, gun rights, etc.

Also, as far as I can tell, none of the superlatives being applied to Mike's lower are actually from Mike's mouth. I don't think Mike is claiming that his 3D printed lower is the first one ever made. The news articles, however, are applying that title. It may be the first one that the authors have heard about or seen, mostly because of Mike's desire to be fairly open and share about the things he does/discovers.

Most other people are fairly secretive about these types of things for obvious reasons.

Assnolax
Assnolax

July 30th, 2012, 5:19 am #8

adan
adan

July 30th, 2012, 10:41 pm #9

J. Cook
J. Cook

July 31st, 2012, 3:07 am #10