Gloat! (sorta a tool or toy box)

Gloat! (sorta a tool or toy box)

BnS
BnS

October 24th, 2011, 3:13 pm #1

Five years ago (when I bought this house) I purchased a pole barn kit only to find that the township had ridiculous ordinances for outbuildings.
I pretty much gave up on building the kit when the price of the permit/variance/crookedpoliticianpayoff was more than the kit itself.
Mid summer I stopped at the township and found that they've changed some of the ordinances allowing me to build 3/4 of my original kit without a variance.

Ended up a 30x30x12, now I gotta decide what toys are going to stay outside...

MarkT
MarkT

October 24th, 2011, 4:36 pm #2

No cement floor? It looks like a dirt floor, what little bit I can see.

Bruce Bergman
Bruce Bergman

October 24th, 2011, 4:46 pm #3

Five years ago (when I bought this house) I purchased a pole barn kit only to find that the township had ridiculous ordinances for outbuildings.
I pretty much gave up on building the kit when the price of the permit/variance/crookedpoliticianpayoff was more than the kit itself.
Mid summer I stopped at the township and found that they've changed some of the ordinances allowing me to build 3/4 of my original kit without a variance.

If you can't enclose any more space because you've hit their "limit", see if you can put a Parking Carport and slab next to the workshop.

Or if it can't be "permanent" you put down a raised and properly compacted 'road base' gravel pad and a temporary 10X20 awning enclosure or two.

Just getting those "things" under durable cover is often enough - that's why they invented the poly tarp, to finish the job.

I'm busy cleaning the crap out and sorting the good stuff inside so the good stuff outside (under cover) can come inside. And the outside (under cover) space is plenty of shelter for doing Projects without wasting valuable Inside space.

BnS
BnS

October 24th, 2011, 5:21 pm #4

I'm praying the weather holds out long enough to pour.
Need another tri-axle of fill to get to grade.
It's been raining pretty good here and the wife's already upset about the ruts in the yard.

Fubarius
Fubarius

October 24th, 2011, 10:03 pm #5

I recently bought a house that has a nice big pole barn on the property. 40x60 or so, with a nice concrete floor. With the Wisconsin winter fast approaching I suddenly have a lot of old favors being cashed in by my relatives. The "wow you got a big pole barn here, you wouldn't mind letting me store just one thing here for the winter, would you? I did help you out when..." So now I'm babysitting a VW dune buggy, a 65 1/2 Mustang drag car, and a 4000lb open class Truck Puller for the winter, with the potential for at least 2 boats to show up last minute unless I can talk them out of it.

Just remember to use my golden rule for toy storage; Sure you can store it here, but I get to use it from time to time.

BnS
BnS

October 25th, 2011, 12:01 pm #6

Hah, I'm that guy right now.
I have most of my tools in my father pole barn, my 66 mustang in a friend's garage, and my project pickup in a buddy's pole barn.

The big issue is my new barn isn't quite large enough to fit all of that, let alone the stuff that's already in the yard/shed/basement of my house..

As a precaution when constructing the shell I added a header/nailer to each of the gable ends in the likely event I'll add a 10' shed roof out both ends (after inspection)

MephitMark
MephitMark

October 25th, 2011, 9:02 pm #7

I gent I know of in Maine I believe, started a business of sorts, but the ordinances were a little more then he care to take on. So he side stepped it all by the fact that there was no limit to the number of garages a he could have.

Last I read of him, he had four garages.

Hey, they may not be as big, but when all else is said, it legal!!!

Bns
Bns

October 25th, 2011, 9:53 pm #8

That's what I find funny.

I'm 200' from the township line, if I were a resident in that township the building would have been twice the size it is now and built 5 years ago.

In my township they cover most of the bases with the ordinances.
They do not state a limit on the amount of outbuildings, they limit the amount by percentages. Your outbuilding square footage cannot exceed a certain percentage of your main dwelling, you cannot exceed a certain percentage of your lot size with impervious objects (buildings, patios, driveways)
If my lot size was larger than a certain acreage the maximum size of the outbuildings double.

The regulations go on and on.
That's what you get in New Jersey...

All that being said..
I built a cabin in Maine, went to the township and inquired about permits, inspections and regulations. She looked at me with a blank stare and asked if I was running a business, raising livestock, or using and outhouse. I said "no"
She said "Whatever you do is on you, if it falls down, blows up, or washes away its your problem."

It was a refreshing response.

I do have an outhouse thou...