Fun pic from the Oroville dam...

Fun pic from the Oroville dam...

March 12th, 2017, 11:46 am #1

I found this pic on a blog keeping track of the events at California's Oroville dam. The scale of the work is stunning, and it's amazing the work they're getting done.

But this one was just too cool to pass up- I rotated it a bit to level the "horizon", and then cropped it slightly, but I take no credit for the actual photo.

It's like all those photos people take of cars parked on the hillside streets in San Fransisco:

Doc.

March 12th, 2017, 11:49 pm #2

That's seriously really neat! I wonder how it was done- with a tilt shift, or something else?

(The dam damage itself isn't cool, of course, and I'm glad everyone was mostly OK/it didn't overflow/collapse!)

March 13th, 2017, 12:06 am #3

That portion of the spillway is just above the big gap, where it's angled almost 15 degrees down.

The people and the scaffold are upright, it's the concrete spillway that's crooked. The original photo had the "horizon" line of the top of the wall (and blue sky) close to level, which gave the workers and the scaffold the crooked look.

I just took the pic, and rotated it slightly more to exaggerate the look.

Here's a "corrected" version of the pic:

About fifty feet to the left of that photo is the upper edge of the big gap in the spillway- they're currently fighting the clock- since the lake level is rising again thanks to snow melt- to stabilize the broken upper end of the spillway, so that if they're forced to release water, it'll minimize any additional damage.

So that scaffold appears to be the main "stairway" down from the surrounding hillside, for the workers to access the broken area. The only other way being to walk down from the spillway gates, nearly a thousand feet uphill.

Doc.
Last edited by DocsMachine on March 13th, 2017, 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 13th, 2017, 12:53 am #4

That's seriously really neat! I wonder how it was done- with a tilt shift, or something else?

(The dam damage itself isn't cool, of course, and I'm glad everyone was mostly OK/it didn't overflow/collapse!)
be funny if micro batmoblie was in the shot going by.

March 13th, 2017, 3:45 am #5

I found this pic on a blog keeping track of the events at California's Oroville dam. The scale of the work is stunning, and it's amazing the work they're getting done.

But this one was just too cool to pass up- I rotated it a bit to level the "horizon", and then cropped it slightly, but I take no credit for the actual photo.

It's like all those photos people take of cars parked on the hillside streets in San Fransisco:

Doc.

This is actually how the photo was shot, since the camera was sitting flat on the track. Actually, it was kind of hard to get the camera to stay still; it kept trying to slide down each time I pressed the the shutter release. Also, it was kind of tricky to get back in position once the timer was started.

And you really got to act fast too. Those cars get back around the track in about 30 or 40 seconds...

March 14th, 2017, 1:11 am #6

be funny if micro batmoblie was in the shot going by.
Extreme Barbie Jeep Racing is usually done in the woods, on a rough trail.