For Sale: BBK throttle body for Chevy LT-1

For Sale: BBK throttle body for Chevy LT-1

May 11th, 2018, 2:07 am #1

A holy-crap-thirteen-years-ago, I picked up a TIG welder, and one of the projects I wanted to do was make an EFI intake manifold for my Toronado.

The Toro has a very low hood line- or rather, the engine sits a bit higher than usual to make room for the FWD transaxle. Plus EFI kits weren't anywhere near as inexpensive as they are today, so I was going to have to custom-assemble my own setup, likely using the old "MegaSquirt" DIY EFI controller.

I got a good starting effort on a sheetmetal intake, emulating (sort of) the overall layout of the older Chevy LT-1 intakes.

The problem was, the wide throttle body was up front, with the factory Olds oil-filler neck to the left (in the photo, it's been removed) and I'd have to offset the water neck considerably to the right- which would interfere with the throttle linkage, the oil-pressure sender, and other stuff. So I never did finish it.

I came up with a better design, putting the throttle body out the diver's side center of the plenum, more like an older Ford Mustang 5.0L setup. I have parts of that around here somewhere, and eventually plan to finish it, and use a new, more cutting-edge EFI controller, like one of the FAST offerings, or maybe a Holley unit.

But, as we all know, I have more projects than time these days, and of course personal things like that have long since fallen by the wayside.

Now, as I was tearing the shop apart- seriously, it's a wreck- I've been setting stuff aside to sell, give away or donate to the thrift stores. I offered the unfinished intake on an Olds board, where it was snatched up right away- kind of to my surprise. 😁

Anyway, I had a brand-new (er, over a decade go, anyway 😋 ) BBK throttle body for an LT-1 I was going to use on this. The buyer didn't want it (he's going with a different setup with a ProCharger, apparently)  so before I chuck it on eBay, I figured I'd list it here to see if any of you mechanical types might want it. (I'm going with a big single-butterfly unit for the new version.)

I'm asking $200 shipped, might be up for trades if you have something I might be interested in. (Keeping in mind I need to get stuff out of the shop, not bring more in. 😁 )

Hit me up if you're interested, or know somebody who is.

Doc.

May 11th, 2018, 3:16 am #2

I remember this project.  I told you I'd send you a set of injectors for it.  Not sure why, but I never got them actually in the mail.  Sometime in the last month or so I ran across the ziploc back still containing said injectors... :D

May 11th, 2018, 8:14 am #3

I still want to build the "second gen" intake- as I said, I have some parts stashed for it, and just a year or so ago I was looking into FAST's "universal controller", that can apparently run basically any injectors, any throttle-position sensor, wide or narrow-band oxygen sensors (or multiples of each) as well as either batch-fire or sequential injection.

Not cheap, but plug-and-play, and comes very well recommended.

I'd still take those injectors, if you have 'em. I bought a set off eBay partly for test-fitting and partly for the wiring harness that came with them, but as I recall, they're well undersized for what I need. (I can't recall exactly, but it was something like these are 32lb/hr and a 455 needs more like 60lb/hr. The 32s [if that's what they are] will start and run the motor, but would have to spend too long "on", and could run out- IE, have to try and stay on 100% of the time- at higher revs.)

Doc.

May 11th, 2018, 7:16 pm #4

I've got fist fulls of injectors these days.  I'll get some together.  I'd encourage you to look up "decapping" injectors.  Matt Happel and his "Sloppy Mechanics" wiki page are good places to start.  He has channels on YouTube as well.  you can get a LOT of flow out of a decapped stock injector.

Micro Squirt might be a good option for you too.  They've come a long way.  I think there's even a guy doing full automotive control systems that are arduino based these days.

While you're playing around... I have a very well optioned 2 stage EFI nitrous kit and some bottles (2 of them, the big ones - no need to go see Harry) if you're feeling froggy.  :)  I don't have a use for it all at the moment.  I'm going twin turbskies on the Rabbler.

May 11th, 2018, 10:08 pm #5

Am i the only one for whom recently doc's images dont work for (or atleast arent properly pasted into posts?

They all work when i click them but they dont get inserted into posts