Finally, a bit more progress...!

November 17th, 2017, 6:45 am #1

As I noted over a month ago, I'm switching my CNC-converted Logan lathe over from a functional but antiquated Mach 3/WinXP system, over to the brand-new Acorn board recently released by Centroid.

Which has been sitting here for at least three weeks now, waiting for me to have a few moments of free time to do the swap.

Today, I finally managed to put out enough of those metaphorical fires and took those few minutes. I still don't have an enclosure I like, and so don't have an idea how it all needs to be laid out, so I temporarily just screwed everything to a hunk of spare plywood:

THIS IS JUST FOR TESTING!

I know some of you don't actually read the text here, and just look at the fun pictures, and inevitably somebody will or would pipe up and say I'm risking getting chips on the electronics, risking a short, etc.

Yes, I know, I know.

This is just for testing purposes. As soon as I've verified the wiring is correct- never a sure thing with me - and have calibrated the stepper drives and whatnot, I'll find a decent enclosure and mount everything properly.

And keeping in mind the lathe itself isn't entirely done either- I still need to mount limit switches, build a guard over the Z-axis stepper drive, some sort of cover for the encoder and drive, I still need to add some kind of support for the X-axis ballscrew, connect the VFD to the Acorn (and set the parameters) and a dozen other things.

If I have a few more minutes tomorrow (Friday) I hope to actually power the thing up and go through the first few calibration steps. Here's hopin' all this extra time and money was worth it.

Doc.

November 17th, 2017, 2:41 pm #2

November 18th, 2017, 6:36 am #3

Discounting my eternal hatred for the imperial march caused by two colleagues with bad midi versions on their Nokia 3310s constantly going off during the early 2000s. Better than the Nokia anthem I guess, but barely.

Would it be possible to build the initial startup/calibration/location sequence on a controller board to play some tune. And would it sell?

November 18th, 2017, 7:28 am #4

Have an F1 Renault playing the British National Anthem...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWIwxvlWp1A

or an F1 Lotus singing Happy Birthday...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr4zb-HHZs4
Breakfast.com halted. Cereal port not ready.

November 18th, 2017, 7:55 am #5

Discounting my eternal hatred for the imperial march caused by two colleagues with bad midi versions on their Nokia 3310s constantly going off during the early 2000s. Better than the Nokia anthem I guess, but barely.

Would it be possible to build the initial startup/calibration/location sequence on a controller board to play some tune. And would it sell?
The only people that think that kind of thing is cool, are do-it-yourselfers who are just messing around with a CNC machine for fun. And those are the guys that would want to do the programming themselves- if all you did was download the MIDI files, all you really have is an extremely expensive, incredibly low-fidelity MP3 player.

Anyone who wants to do actual work with their machine, would come to hate it as much as we used to hate the old dial-up modem noises, or the three minute long bootup sequences of old versions of Windows.

Anyone who is trying to make an actual business with their machine, would both almost never hear it (as their machines are generally left on 24-7, if not actually running 24-7) and would hate it when they did, as it would be a pointless waste of time, and unnecessary wear-and-tear on an expensive machine.

Doc.

November 18th, 2017, 8:00 am #6

As I was trying to get the system running today (turns out I appear to have a bad stepper driver) I was playing with the Centroid touchscreen interface.

Turns out they preloaded a demo program, that is apparently set to start as soon as you've "homed" the machine. I was not aware of this.

So the machine starts running a program- one I didn't install, I don't know where it came from, and I don't know what it's making.

No real issue, the carriage was far enough away from the chuck it wasn't going to hit anything, and because of the bad driver, only the X axis was moving.

But I was still going "What the F is THIS!?!?" for about twenty seconds.

Turns out the demo program is for a chess piece- a pawn. Gives you something to try out as soon as you have the machine set up and the controller sorted out.

I'm looking forward to trying it for real.

Doc.

November 18th, 2017, 8:20 pm #7

The only people that think that kind of thing is cool, are do-it-yourselfers who are just messing around with a CNC machine for fun. And those are the guys that would want to do the programming themselves- if all you did was download the MIDI files, all you really have is an extremely expensive, incredibly low-fidelity MP3 player.

Anyone who wants to do actual work with their machine, would come to hate it as much as we used to hate the old dial-up modem noises, or the three minute long bootup sequences of old versions of Windows.

Anyone who is trying to make an actual business with their machine, would both almost never hear it (as their machines are generally left on 24-7, if not actually running 24-7) and would hate it when they did, as it would be a pointless waste of time, and unnecessary wear-and-tear on an expensive machine.

Doc.
Hate the modem noises? Sheesh, I could tell which rack I was connecting to just from the differences in handshakes..

(you know you've been in IT too long when...)

November 18th, 2017, 8:39 pm #8

When I'd get a phone call and there was nobody on the other end, I'd whistle and the caller would respond with modem tones. (Usually fax tones.) Nowadays it's just flipping robocallers.
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

November 18th, 2017, 9:14 pm #9

Doc.
If the stepper doesn't produce the tones properly, it indicates a problem.

November 19th, 2017, 3:09 am #10

Hate the modem noises? Sheesh, I could tell which rack I was connecting to just from the differences in handshakes..

(you know you've been in IT too long when...)
And I could tell by the handshake what speed it negotiated and with uncanny accuracy if the comm session was going to be successful.

No association with Multitech modems; but, they beat the daylights out of Hayes (pay for name not performance).