Does anyone actually *read* newspaper comics anymore...?

Does anyone actually *read* newspaper comics anymore...?

October 9th, 2017, 8:41 am #1

I haven't bothered getting a physical newspaper in several years now, except on occasion to have on hand for packing material.

I read the local paper today (Sunday) for the first time in a long while, and I guess I'd entirely forgotten they're still wasting space in the comics section with Prince Valiant.

Who the hell still reads Prince Valiant?!? Even back when I read newspaper comics on a regular basis, I never really bothered trying to keep up on PV- it was like trying to start watching one of the old Soap Operas, like "Days of Our Lives" or something. If you haven't been reading the strip since sometime prior to the Korean War, you have no idea who these people are, how they're related, where they are, what the hell they're doing, and how the hell Valiant managed to get a bowl cut about half a century before they invented bowls.

And the rest of the comics aren't any better. Longtime Guild readers will know I'm something of a comics fan, and I used to enjoy many regular newspaper offerings. But I don't know if it's the disconnect since I haven't read most of them in years, the fact I've gotten used to superior online offerings, of if they have, in fact, simply gotten more lame and banal than they were before.

Sunday strips are just a normal three-panel joke stretched out to nine panels. Bill Watterson could fill those panels with something interesting. Most of today's comics waste it on what might as well be dead air.

Be interesting to see what happens in the future... (It's worth noting that Alaska's one and only major newspaper is currently in bankruptcy proceedings, and the general consensus I get from locals I've spoken to about it is anything from "good riddance" to "they're still bothering to publish that thing?" )

Doc.

October 9th, 2017, 11:30 am #2

But if i was in a position where i'd be exposed to newspapers again (say, taking the train to work everyday like i did for years) i'd pick them back up...

October 9th, 2017, 11:46 am #3

I haven't bothered getting a physical newspaper in several years now, except on occasion to have on hand for packing material.

I read the local paper today (Sunday) for the first time in a long while, and I guess I'd entirely forgotten they're still wasting space in the comics section with Prince Valiant.

Who the hell still reads Prince Valiant?!? Even back when I read newspaper comics on a regular basis, I never really bothered trying to keep up on PV- it was like trying to start watching one of the old Soap Operas, like "Days of Our Lives" or something. If you haven't been reading the strip since sometime prior to the Korean War, you have no idea who these people are, how they're related, where they are, what the hell they're doing, and how the hell Valiant managed to get a bowl cut about half a century before they invented bowls.

And the rest of the comics aren't any better. Longtime Guild readers will know I'm something of a comics fan, and I used to enjoy many regular newspaper offerings. But I don't know if it's the disconnect since I haven't read most of them in years, the fact I've gotten used to superior online offerings, of if they have, in fact, simply gotten more lame and banal than they were before.

Sunday strips are just a normal three-panel joke stretched out to nine panels. Bill Watterson could fill those panels with something interesting. Most of today's comics waste it on what might as well be dead air.

Be interesting to see what happens in the future... (It's worth noting that Alaska's one and only major newspaper is currently in bankruptcy proceedings, and the general consensus I get from locals I've spoken to about it is anything from "good riddance" to "they're still bothering to publish that thing?" )

Doc.
.. A long time ago.

And even then, I only read "judge dredd" in the UK so daily star, because it was a different story to the main 2000ad strips... ... Long gone now ..
Explosion - from the Latin, 'oh my god, my eyebrows'

October 9th, 2017, 1:44 pm #4

Doc.
The trouble is very few have the quality anymore. |Garfield was hilarious at times during the '80's but, like so many others now, it has become 'cut & paste'. No effort in the backgrounds and only a few expressions and SAFE jokes that just plain aren't funny. Same for Hagar. Buckles showed initiative for a time and 'Get Fuzzy' was wonderfully subversive before it just got to the repeated 'Bucky breaks something' plot ad nauseum. One of the few newsprint strips I would have time for these days - if I had it in my local paper and it wasn't on gocomice, is Georgia Dunns' wonderful Breaking Cat News http://www.gocomics.com/breaking-cat-news

October 9th, 2017, 2:12 pm #5

I'll agree with that.
One strip in our local paper is Agnes, which I think is about as funny as SNL these days. (In some ways, the strip's title character and her only friend remind me of Peppermint Patty and Marcy)

Now that I have access to a newspaper in the break room at work, the only strips I regularly look for are Pearls before Swine (mainly because the artist has a real knack for atrocious puns and feghoots) and Luann (just because I remember reading the strip as a kid).

October 9th, 2017, 2:25 pm #6

Doc.
I still subscribe to the local newspaper. I'm a lifer in the publishing gulag, and I started out by making fun of it in the local alternative newspaper. Times being what they are for newspapers, it's one of the healthier dailies in the state, and far less shy of investigative reporting and local controversy than back in its heyday.

They run 42 daily strips. (Competing morning and afternoon papers from the same publisher, plus the sunday paper, were combined into one 7-day/week edition some years ago.) Sadly, the best of them are Dilbert, Frank & Earnest, Frazz, Funky Winkerbean, Luann, Mutts, Sally Forth, and Pearls before Swine. "Best" for certain values of absurdity and bad puns, mainly. The rest are old legacy creakers whose original artists are long dead, hit-or-miss single-panel features, and shameless crap like Garfield and Family Circus. And, of course, Peanuts.

I argue with my dad about Peanuts all the time. He likes it, and is glad to see it in his local paper (which runs about 10 strips). I maintain that although it's certainly one of the best strips of the 20th century, Sparky Schulz is dead, and someone who's alive should get that space. Small-town papers aren't rerunning McCay or Herriman or Watterson, after all.

But the best strips I follow are on the web. No contest. And the forums and message boards attract a more diverse and interesting crowd.

October 9th, 2017, 2:30 pm #7

The trouble is very few have the quality anymore. |Garfield was hilarious at times during the '80's but, like so many others now, it has become 'cut & paste'. No effort in the backgrounds and only a few expressions and SAFE jokes that just plain aren't funny. Same for Hagar. Buckles showed initiative for a time and 'Get Fuzzy' was wonderfully subversive before it just got to the repeated 'Bucky breaks something' plot ad nauseum. One of the few newsprint strips I would have time for these days - if I had it in my local paper and it wasn't on gocomice, is Georgia Dunns' wonderful Breaking Cat News http://www.gocomics.com/breaking-cat-news
If you look closely at the copyright, Get Fuzzy is all reruns, except for an occasional Sunday strip. It's the only strip in my local paper that I do not bother even to read. Lynne Johnson at least redraws all the strips she's used before.

October 9th, 2017, 5:46 pm #8

Doc.
I stopped getting a newspaper years ago.. not sure if I have gotten one in this century to be honest. What I did do was subscribe to bothhttps://comicskingdom.com/ andhttp://www.gocomics.com/ for something like 15 bucks a year each and I get to pick from a pretty nice collection of comics that are both currently being published and those that have ended.

Comicskingdom even has a selection of "vintage" comics from like the 50s you can read as well.

I like having the subscriptions since I can pick the ones I want to read and they are delivered to my inbox everyday. Between those and your site that is what I read during my lunch break everyday at work. True story!

Steampunkhawk

October 9th, 2017, 6:23 pm #9

Doc.
I liked the characters. I'm surprised it hasn't made its way to TV, considering the popularity of Game of Thrones, which is equally convoluted, maybe more so. (Is Jon Snow dead or not?)

The ones my newspaper are running that I particularly like are Rose is Rose, Born Loser, Pickles and Bizzaro. They removed Overboard, which was my favorite. I have to read it online, when I think about it.

The best newspaper strip I've found online is Red and Rover. It has a Calvin and Hobbs vibe, but Rover's a real dog. It's almost more realistic, except Red and Rover can read each other's minds. Brian Basset makes the occasional social commenthttp://www.gocomics.com/redandrover/2017/05/21

And he acknowledges Memorial Day every year
http://www.gocomics.com/redandrover/2017/05/29
Love thou the rose, yet leave it on its stem. -- Edward Bulwer-Lytton

October 9th, 2017, 6:54 pm #10

I stopped getting a newspaper years ago.. not sure if I have gotten one in this century to be honest. What I did do was subscribe to bothhttps://comicskingdom.com/ andhttp://www.gocomics.com/ for something like 15 bucks a year each and I get to pick from a pretty nice collection of comics that are both currently being published and those that have ended.

Comicskingdom even has a selection of "vintage" comics from like the 50s you can read as well.

I like having the subscriptions since I can pick the ones I want to read and they are delivered to my inbox everyday. Between those and your site that is what I read during my lunch break everyday at work. True story!

Steampunkhawk
I tried to "switch over" to reading the newspaper comics online, but it's just not worth it. Regardless of the format, the jokes are banal and lame.

I don't have a single newspaper comic in my current rotation- and haven't in a while.

Doc.