Doc versus the expresso machine...

Doc versus the expresso machine...

April 21st, 2017, 12:24 pm #1

...might not end in another replicated beer flood as long as Rodger isn't called in to assist. Can you visualize an espresso flood flowing through downtown
If Doc alone does work on the machine he might just make do with the tools and supplies on hand. Might end up to where no one else could figure out how it was repaired and double complicated, but at least no major explosion (we hope!)!

April 21st, 2017, 3:11 pm #2

He just has to avoid the urge to "go to the dark side..." and start modifying. If Roger isn't there, that should be easier to avoid.

Espresso machines at their heart are just a simple steam boiler - with a fancy wrapper and a fancy cup for the coffee grounds. The heating element goes open, or the thermostat is on the fritz, quick and easy and probably a standard part from the Plumbing House.

Worst case it's all scaled up inside, and you handle that the same way - Drain, fill with White Vinegar and boil out & loosen up the deposits, then flush. And you may have to dismantle & clean the steam valves going to the coffee cups and the frother output.

April 21st, 2017, 3:18 pm #3

And adjust the filtration system or add in a caffeine kicker device. People will come out of that shop all jazzed up.

April 21st, 2017, 5:40 pm #4

...might not end in another replicated beer flood as long as Rodger isn't called in to assist. Can you visualize an espresso flood flowing through downtown
If Doc alone does work on the machine he might just make do with the tools and supplies on hand. Might end up to where no one else could figure out how it was repaired and double complicated, but at least no major explosion (we hope!)!
That's what I'm thinking of, since he was sober at the time. Then there's his idea of coffee.

April 21st, 2017, 8:01 pm #5

He just has to avoid the urge to "go to the dark side..." and start modifying. If Roger isn't there, that should be easier to avoid.

Espresso machines at their heart are just a simple steam boiler - with a fancy wrapper and a fancy cup for the coffee grounds. The heating element goes open, or the thermostat is on the fritz, quick and easy and probably a standard part from the Plumbing House.

Worst case it's all scaled up inside, and you handle that the same way - Drain, fill with White Vinegar and boil out & loosen up the deposits, then flush. And you may have to dismantle & clean the steam valves going to the coffee cups and the frother output.
DOC: "Steam boiler? Sure, I think I have some parts from a Russian Cold War submarine we could repurpose..."
-- Change is inevitable, except from vending machines

April 21st, 2017, 11:10 pm #6

Every espresso machine needs a superheater.

I'm thinking a three-drum express boiler with super heat.

April 22nd, 2017, 2:10 am #7

That's what I'm thinking of, since he was sober at the time. Then there's his idea of coffee.
Your order delivered to the table by guided missile. n/t

April 22nd, 2017, 4:39 am #8

Doc's coffee is classified as nuclear waste. n/t

April 22nd, 2017, 5:47 am #9

Every espresso machine needs a superheater.

I'm thinking a three-drum express boiler with super heat.
Neosupurlative Tango

April 22nd, 2017, 9:20 am #10

The coffee itself is merely considered toxic waste. It's the production process that's considered radioactive waste.

Doc.