"Doc's Publishing" :)

"Doc's Publishing" :)

March 13th, 2018, 10:31 pm #1

So now Doc has capacity to print his own books, one wonders if he could get into printing other folks' books.... :)
CF

"The right tool for the right job." [Anon.]
"Any tool can be the Right Tool." [Red Green]

March 13th, 2018, 10:55 pm #2

Actually, yes, I've given it some thought already.

There are a couple issues, though- the first one being time. I don't have a great deal of free time (even less these days) to do too much more by way of books, and making them is not a hugely profitable undertaking.

The other comic in question also needs to be able to be fairly easily broken up into "books" of a size I can manage to easily work with, since my whole setup is kind of optimized for this particular style of TWB book.

And, the author in question needs to be confident they can sell enough books to make it worthwhile. (Or can afford a vanity project, regardless of it's profitability.)

Do you have a particular strip in mind?

Doc.

March 14th, 2018, 10:29 pm #3

Not a strip, actually -- an author. But if your schedule's full-up already... well, it was just a thought.
CF

"The right tool for the right job." [Anon.]
"Any tool can be the Right Tool." [Red Green]

March 15th, 2018, 2:48 am #4

csadn wrote: Not a strip, actually -- an author. But if your schedule's full-up already... well, it was just a thought.
-The one thing I am not well set up for is text-only. I can print it well enough, but I'm still extremely weak on the proper layout software to properly set it up AS a book.

I am working on it, though, as I'm working on a specialty (non-paintball) technical book that will be a lot of text illustrated with photos.

But yeah, much as i might like to actually launch a small vanity press, I simply don't have the time or proper equipment. There's lots of small publishers out there who will be happy to help you, though. One I spoke briefly to, and were very helpful- and had a very nice user interface to help estimate per-book costs, was 48hourbooks.com

You might give them a try.

Doc.