Doc's Printing Shop

Doc's Printing Shop

December 30th, 2017, 12:45 am #1

When you get your printer up and running, are you going to stick to books or are you going to branch out into calendars and other stuff?
Love thou the rose, yet leave it on its stem. -- Edward Bulwer-Lytton

December 30th, 2017, 6:24 am #2

Print Guy and I talked about calendars years ago, and the issue was that I'd have to order X number to make them cheap enough to sell, and you can really only sell calendars for about two months of the year, from late November to very early January.

After that, they're dated material, and you basically can't even give them away.

Being able to do it all in-house does change that equation a bit, although I'd have to buy a coil binding machine or something to do it properly.

However, there would be a huge amount of additional work involved, to prepare 12 high-resolution pics for such a calendar, unless I just used a blown-up copy of a regular strip panel or something.

As regular Guilders and followers of my Patreon know, I don't exactly have a great deal of free time to produce a bunch of extra artwork.

As it is, just the current 5-day-a-week schedule takes up a huge chunk of my time- most often I don't mind it, but man, there's sure more than a few days where I wish I could put that time into one of my other projects.

The current plan, for the time being, is to get all the old books (1 through 5) and at least two new books (6 and 7) produced and launched relatively quickly (which in this case means "hopefully before March". )

For next Christmas season, I should have 1-2 more books (we're way behind ) and I hope for 2-5 new Christmas/Holiday cards, that will likely be sold in packs.

I have ideas for comic-book style comics (that is, the classic Marvel/DC newsstand type comic) but there again, that would be a huge amount of artwork to do, and I'm just not sure I can pull it off.

There's also a few other smaller ideas I've been mulling over too, but as above, it'll all depend on time, resources and attention.

Doc.

December 30th, 2017, 11:43 pm #3

Although I think you're wrong about the limited window for selling calendars. We get calendars from all sorts of charity organizations starting in June (sometimes as early as March.) Stores start selling them around June, too. People also buy them later than January, although they're usually marked down by then.
Love thou the rose, yet leave it on its stem. -- Edward Bulwer-Lytton

December 31st, 2017, 6:49 pm #4

Print Guy and I talked about calendars years ago, and the issue was that I'd have to order X number to make them cheap enough to sell, and you can really only sell calendars for about two months of the year, from late November to very early January.

After that, they're dated material, and you basically can't even give them away.

Being able to do it all in-house does change that equation a bit, although I'd have to buy a coil binding machine or something to do it properly.

However, there would be a huge amount of additional work involved, to prepare 12 high-resolution pics for such a calendar, unless I just used a blown-up copy of a regular strip panel or something.

As regular Guilders and followers of my Patreon know, I don't exactly have a great deal of free time to produce a bunch of extra artwork.

As it is, just the current 5-day-a-week schedule takes up a huge chunk of my time- most often I don't mind it, but man, there's sure more than a few days where I wish I could put that time into one of my other projects.

The current plan, for the time being, is to get all the old books (1 through 5) and at least two new books (6 and 7) produced and launched relatively quickly (which in this case means "hopefully before March". )

For next Christmas season, I should have 1-2 more books (we're way behind ) and I hope for 2-5 new Christmas/Holiday cards, that will likely be sold in packs.

I have ideas for comic-book style comics (that is, the classic Marvel/DC newsstand type comic) but there again, that would be a huge amount of artwork to do, and I'm just not sure I can pull it off.

There's also a few other smaller ideas I've been mulling over too, but as above, it'll all depend on time, resources and attention.

Doc.
Oh lordy, seriously? You're going to make the previous books/compilations available again? That would be most excellent, as I've been unable to locate any anywhere!!

:::::sqeeeeeeee::::

December 31st, 2017, 8:25 pm #5

Doc.
If you want to post to international people, calendars need to be available from at least September onward. Mail is slow sometimes in the rest of the world.

On-demand calendars can be done pretty simply, if you can print A3 size, fold in half, staple and trim to size, you've got what BrownTrout does for their wall calendars effectively.

December 31st, 2017, 9:42 pm #6

Oh lordy, seriously? You're going to make the previous books/compilations available again? That would be most excellent, as I've been unable to locate any anywhere!!

:::::sqeeeeeeee::::
A webcomic I follow just finished a kickstarter to fund the second book of the series. The numbers generated are .... interesting.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hi ... nt-book-2/

3,525 backers pledged $250,665 of a $35,000 goal to help bring this project to life.

If memory serves, the kickstarter ran for ~27 days during this month of December.

The $35,000 goal was met within 2 days, and immediately was exceeded. And grew to an eye-popping total.

Ever considered taking this route for your books? I truly don't know how you went about it back then, but .... a quarter of a million bucks ... in under a month ...

Oh my stars and garters!!!!

December 31st, 2017, 10:34 pm #7

Oh yeah, I've been following SSSS for a while and keeping a vague eye on their Kickstarter.Keeping in mind that Girl Genius has had three or four Kickstarters for books, the latest one cleared a cool million. TwoKinds did a KS a couple years ago and got a quarter mil. Schlock Mercenary has done a couple too- I can't recall the totals, but they're right up there.

The thing here is that all those strips, TwoKinds and SSSS particualrly, are top-notch, very detailed and colorful art, done in full-page format. They basically have to print a graphic-novel sized book, in full glossy color.

And those ain't cheap. Howard Tayler does his own formatting and sends the files to a Chinese printer, and has to buy like 10,000 at a time to get the per-book price down to both affordable to the customer and able to still make a profit off of them.

TWB neither has that level of art, nor does it need to be in a big graphic-novel format. And, for the time being, doesn't even need to be in color. I also don't have as big a fan base as most of those comics, so no matter what I'm not going to get numbers that big.

(Keeping in mind that between taxes, the cost of the printing, postage, etc. the author's share of that quarter-mil is of course a lot less than that. Still nothing to sneeze at, I'd bet it'll be $20-$30K or so! But they don't get to keep the whole thing. And the taxes are themselves a significant burden to people that have had a successful KS.)

For the moment, I believe I can supply a book of pretty decent quality, made entirely in house, at a price fair to both of us, without having to resort to a Kickstarter. I may try that in the future, to produce a big glossy compendium or something, but at the moment I already have too much on my plate.

Doc.

January 1st, 2018, 7:56 pm #8

Thanks for clearing that up. It answers very clearly my questions about using a kickstarter campaign to fund any books for TWB.