Doc, I noticed the neat coffee cups....

Doc, I noticed the neat coffee cups....

February 8th, 2018, 11:58 am #1

Sandy, Roger and Doc have some, so how come you don't have them for sale in your shop?
Breakfast.com halted. Cereal port not ready.

February 8th, 2018, 12:29 pm #2

He's just got the books back/ready.

I'm sure if the mugs would sell he'll look into it, but don't overload the poor Doc!

February 8th, 2018, 1:54 pm #3

Sandy, Roger and Doc have some, so how come you don't have them for sale in your shop?
A friend of mine is doing:http://oraclenerd.spreadshirt.com - It's a "shop in shop" within:http://spreadshirt.com .

My friend picks the products available he wants to sell (he's just doing T-shirts and Caps and is finicky, does not sell the cheapest shirts) and uploads his own designs. Then whenever someone buys stuff on the "shop-in-shop", Spreadshirt handles the order, prints the design on the product, ships it - and deposits money to my friend's account. As far as I can tell, it can either be a straight percentage, or he can set a higher price "on the design" so the buyer price will be the sum of what Spreadshirt wants plus the design-price.

Such a "thewhiteboard.spreadshirt.com" shop probably won't bring as much profit as Doc doing it by himself - but it could mean a larger selection of products without Doc needing to spend so much of his already limited time

He can do mugs with TWB designs:https://www.spreadshirt.com/custom/deta ... earance=70
Or how about aprons for barbecuing 'Doc style:https://www.spreadshirt.com/custom/deta ... earance=33
Or iPhone cases with a Pirta bikini beach pic?
Or...

Need to build the shop on:https://partner.spreadshirt.com and upload the designs - but after that no need to spend time expediting orders.

I'm sure there are other similar services, and probably Doc has considered some. But since the mug request came along, I just thought I'd drop my 2 cents in the discussion

February 8th, 2018, 2:30 pm #4

. . . then, in my experience at least, you have the choice of either taking an absurdly low cut of the sale price, or marking things up so much that nobody wants to buy them. It's fine if you want a couple of customized t-shirts or something (it was cheaper and more convenient than a short run of custom screen printing back when I used it), or are more interested in getting your image out than turning a profit, but it's awfully hard to make any real money with it.

That's just me being pessimistic, though, and my experiences were with a different company almost twenty years ago, so things may be different here and now.
"Vox populi, vox humbug!"
- William Tecumseh Sherman

February 8th, 2018, 2:37 pm #5

A friend of mine is doing:http://oraclenerd.spreadshirt.com - It's a "shop in shop" within:http://spreadshirt.com .

My friend picks the products available he wants to sell (he's just doing T-shirts and Caps and is finicky, does not sell the cheapest shirts) and uploads his own designs. Then whenever someone buys stuff on the "shop-in-shop", Spreadshirt handles the order, prints the design on the product, ships it - and deposits money to my friend's account. As far as I can tell, it can either be a straight percentage, or he can set a higher price "on the design" so the buyer price will be the sum of what Spreadshirt wants plus the design-price.

Such a "thewhiteboard.spreadshirt.com" shop probably won't bring as much profit as Doc doing it by himself - but it could mean a larger selection of products without Doc needing to spend so much of his already limited time

He can do mugs with TWB designs:https://www.spreadshirt.com/custom/deta ... earance=70
Or how about aprons for barbecuing 'Doc style:https://www.spreadshirt.com/custom/deta ... earance=33
Or iPhone cases with a Pirta bikini beach pic?
Or...

Need to build the shop on:https://partner.spreadshirt.com and upload the designs - but after that no need to spend time expediting orders.

I'm sure there are other similar services, and probably Doc has considered some. But since the mug request came along, I just thought I'd drop my 2 cents in the discussion
I could go for one of those mugs, and perhaps also a t-shirt, with the picture of all the girls in swimsuits.
REUNITE GONDWANALAND!

February 8th, 2018, 3:08 pm #6

. . . then, in my experience at least, you have the choice of either taking an absurdly low cut of the sale price, or marking things up so much that nobody wants to buy them. It's fine if you want a couple of customized t-shirts or something (it was cheaper and more convenient than a short run of custom screen printing back when I used it), or are more interested in getting your image out than turning a profit, but it's awfully hard to make any real money with it.

That's just me being pessimistic, though, and my experiences were with a different company almost twenty years ago, so things may be different here and now.
But might be worth it mainly for the fan-service of having more products and then at the same time getting at least some money without too much work?

My friend made it primarily to let his friends and acquaintances in the developer community support his family a bit (has to support a multi-handicapped daughter) without it being outright donations - we get something for our money and he gets something as well.

Without delving deep into the fine print, Spreadshirt standard cut is 20%. They write that if you do some marketing for them, then you can get up to 60% cut - I haven't seen what the catch is about that deal

But I guess if going that route, then the price could perhaps be set to something like giving Doc a 50% cut - then the prices would be a bit high compared to market price of mugs, but fans might consider it anyway as an alternative "patronage"?

You might be right with the pessimistic view - I might be right with a bit more optimistic view
It'd have to be checked out a bit more in the fine print of Spreadshirt (or similar alternatives.)

February 8th, 2018, 8:55 pm #7

We DID have coffee cups. For the big 2010 run, I bought two cases of coffee cups, that we'd had done with a simple B&W design that was kind of a stylized Doc-face I thought was kinda cool.

Even though we had a couple hundred orders during that run, I think less than a dozen of them actually sold. Might have been half that.

I had 'em in the store for years afterward, and never sold a one. I gave half a dozen away locally, and that was it.

The remaining inventory I sent back down to my old Print Guy as he was supposed to add them to whatever scheme he was supposed to be cooking up for another big run this past Christmas season. Which of course didn't happen and is just one more small thing I got screwed out of.

Now, as for places like Spreadshirt, Cafepress and the like, as noted, shops like that trade on convenience more than profit margin. They're handy for what they do, and are perfect for very short run one-offs for a gift, a party, a retirement, that sort of thing, but as noted, they take a hefty bite of the total. That means you either mark it way up and make it expensive for the buyer, or mark it down and accept a few crumbs as profit.

There is the trade-off of not having to handle shipping or inventory and all that, but
on the other hand, there's making the customer go to an entirely separate store to make a second sale.

I could fairly easily have a run of proper cups made myself, just like we did back in '10, and could both offer them at a fair price to you and still make a couple bucks each off of them, but with the disinterest shown in '10, it hasn't been a big priority.

We WERE supposed to have more Howie's beer glasses for this run- supposedly Print Guy had several cases made up, since those were very popular back in '10, but of course when he decided to screw me over- again- that whole program fell by the wayside.

I'm hoping to revive those myself here in the not too distant future, we'll have to see.

And finally, as for T-shirts themselves, long-time Guilders will recall we used to do "preorder" runs of T-shirts on a fairly regular basis, which I had printed locally by a guy who gave me a decent price.

We tried switching to a bulk order by an outside vendor for the 2010 run, but Print Guy had convinced me to go with "more generic" designs that weren't as popular, and to this day, I still have ten boxes of them out in the shop. Had 'em in the store for years, sold maybe three or four.

However, two or three years ago, I did a quick "GoFundMe" here on the Guild and used the proceeds to buy a bunch of T-shirt equipment I'd found locally. I have a four-color press and a single-color station, a crate of inks, squeegees, and other materials, a boxful of brand new screens, and so on.

And I've been trying like heck to squeeze the time in to put that together, and relaunch some of the old, popular designs, plus two or three new ones I've come up with over the years.

Like the books, I'd have the capacity to do them in-house, I'd save a bit over the old costs, and could keep them in stock, I just haven't had the time. (Technically I didn't have the time for this book thing either, but I was seriously pissed off and on a mission. )

What I might do is bring back the "preorder" arrangement, and just set up the machines to do limited runs- the equipment takes up a lot of room when it's set up, and I simply don't have that room right now. If I could set it up temporarily, do however many shirts were ordered, and then put it away 'til next time, that'd be a lot more doable.

I am keeping all of this stuff in mind, it just always comes down to available time and funds- and room.

Doc.

February 9th, 2018, 10:08 pm #8

doc, do you have a picture of those shirts you have sitting around? maybe we could help take a few off your hands
2003 BIOHAZARD ELECTRO COCKER

February 11th, 2018, 6:28 pm #9

We DID have coffee cups. For the big 2010 run, I bought two cases of coffee cups, that we'd had done with a simple B&W design that was kind of a stylized Doc-face I thought was kinda cool.

Even though we had a couple hundred orders during that run, I think less than a dozen of them actually sold. Might have been half that.

I had 'em in the store for years afterward, and never sold a one. I gave half a dozen away locally, and that was it.

The remaining inventory I sent back down to my old Print Guy as he was supposed to add them to whatever scheme he was supposed to be cooking up for another big run this past Christmas season. Which of course didn't happen and is just one more small thing I got screwed out of.

Now, as for places like Spreadshirt, Cafepress and the like, as noted, shops like that trade on convenience more than profit margin. They're handy for what they do, and are perfect for very short run one-offs for a gift, a party, a retirement, that sort of thing, but as noted, they take a hefty bite of the total. That means you either mark it way up and make it expensive for the buyer, or mark it down and accept a few crumbs as profit.

There is the trade-off of not having to handle shipping or inventory and all that, but
on the other hand, there's making the customer go to an entirely separate store to make a second sale.

I could fairly easily have a run of proper cups made myself, just like we did back in '10, and could both offer them at a fair price to you and still make a couple bucks each off of them, but with the disinterest shown in '10, it hasn't been a big priority.

We WERE supposed to have more Howie's beer glasses for this run- supposedly Print Guy had several cases made up, since those were very popular back in '10, but of course when he decided to screw me over- again- that whole program fell by the wayside.

I'm hoping to revive those myself here in the not too distant future, we'll have to see.

And finally, as for T-shirts themselves, long-time Guilders will recall we used to do "preorder" runs of T-shirts on a fairly regular basis, which I had printed locally by a guy who gave me a decent price.

We tried switching to a bulk order by an outside vendor for the 2010 run, but Print Guy had convinced me to go with "more generic" designs that weren't as popular, and to this day, I still have ten boxes of them out in the shop. Had 'em in the store for years, sold maybe three or four.

However, two or three years ago, I did a quick "GoFundMe" here on the Guild and used the proceeds to buy a bunch of T-shirt equipment I'd found locally. I have a four-color press and a single-color station, a crate of inks, squeegees, and other materials, a boxful of brand new screens, and so on.

And I've been trying like heck to squeeze the time in to put that together, and relaunch some of the old, popular designs, plus two or three new ones I've come up with over the years.

Like the books, I'd have the capacity to do them in-house, I'd save a bit over the old costs, and could keep them in stock, I just haven't had the time. (Technically I didn't have the time for this book thing either, but I was seriously pissed off and on a mission. )

What I might do is bring back the "preorder" arrangement, and just set up the machines to do limited runs- the equipment takes up a lot of room when it's set up, and I simply don't have that room right now. If I could set it up temporarily, do however many shirts were ordered, and then put it away 'til next time, that'd be a lot more doable.

I am keeping all of this stuff in mind, it just always comes down to available time and funds- and room.

Doc.
Is Elon shipping gigafactory kits yet?