February 27th, 2018, 4:00 am #11

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1546/ ... 1517305194

Well, certain switches at least.

Though I can just imagine the 'fun' you could have with a dash covered with switches labeled like these:

https://otrattw.net/Contura-X-Novelty-Laser-Etch/
Please don't ever change.

February 27th, 2018, 3:16 pm #12

Looks a bit too much like the datacenter EPO switch when I worked for Systematics/Alltel. (eek! years ago)

I worked the Sunday system IPL shift so I had Monday & Tue off.

One fine Monday the halon guy was in servicing the system & tells the day operator "if the horns go off, just press the halon abort button".

Horns went off & Alex goes to the back of the room and found two switches...

Later that week, the one DASD rack (dumb and slow disk) decided to lodge a protest about the mistreatment & we had a head crash.
... is when the company you are working for has multiple data centers, and they are all set up ever so slightly different, and the 'door open' buttons at one site are identical to the 'emergency door release' buttons at another site. Still, the site security staff needed the un-announced exercise...

Thankfully, the EPO buttons were all the same.

February 27th, 2018, 7:09 pm #13

Looks a bit too much like the datacenter EPO switch when I worked for Systematics/Alltel. (eek! years ago)

I worked the Sunday system IPL shift so I had Monday & Tue off.

One fine Monday the halon guy was in servicing the system & tells the day operator "if the horns go off, just press the halon abort button".

Horns went off & Alex goes to the back of the room and found two switches...

Later that week, the one DASD rack (dumb and slow disk) decided to lodge a protest about the mistreatment & we had a head crash.
There was only one button next to each door, and it was clearly marked as the Halon abort. So when the alarm went off, one of the operators did as instructed and leaned on the button.

That was the day we discovered that the contractor who built the datacenter never bothered to wire up the abort buttons....

March 8th, 2018, 7:51 am #14

There are companies that will put any caption you want on a Real Switch with the contacts form you need, and they aren't all that much more than the raw switch. And they also had plain pilot lights the same way if you needed a indicator for your "Overdrive Lockout" or "Nitrous Activated".  Unless they don't already have the wording you want, and that's another $20 or $25 Setup Charge. 

K-Four Industries did it ages ago but were real expensive, Carlingswitch formed a division that did it direct in-house.  Haven't looked lately...

For someone who has "Emergency Start" that ties the main and deep-cycle batteries together... - but I got the military red flip toggle cover, and had that engraved.   

I was going to go nuts with Light Bar and radio gear switches, but thought better of it. Sometimes you don't want them to know what it really does...

March 8th, 2018, 8:03 am #15

I remember a news article just a few years ago, where some technicians were about to demo a... I think it was an early self-driving car. Very much a prototype, a regular car with the additional hardware bolted hither and yon.

They had a minor celebrity lady at the demo, to make it a proper news event, I guess she was going to be the passenger while a tech sat with her and the pair let the car drive around a course.

Well, right in the middle of the dash was a yellow junction box with a big red mushroom-head emergency-stop button like you'd see on any typical piece of automated equipment. As the techs were setting up the test, they were explaining all iof this to both the celebrity and of course all the cameras and reporters.

They pointed out that if there were any problems, either of the passengers could slap that E-stop button to bring the car to a halt.

Apparently the lady went "you mean like this?" and pushed the button.

And, apparently, it wasn't a software "uh oh, we have a problem, I'd better stop safely" type of emergency stop. It was a  "kill the computers, burn the code books, eject the warp core and detonate the scuttling charges" type of E-stop.

As I recall the test could no longer be done- the computers were dead, the software corrupted, peripherals wouldn't reinitialize, anything that needed to be calibrated no longer was, and so on. It wasn't just an "emergency stop", it was a "kill this car deader than a doorknob" button. :)

Doc.

March 8th, 2018, 3:04 pm #16

Never push the RED button! ⚠

March 8th, 2018, 9:15 pm #17

Unless it's an Easy button.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody

March 8th, 2018, 9:37 pm #18

I think it was on Hackaday that had an article about a guy that put an "Easy" button on the wall of his cubicle. When you pressed it, a hidden confetti cannon (or maybe it was glitter) blasted the presser with a load.

The guy who set it up would then supposedly say something like "Wow, they were right. It IS easy to prank and idiot." 😁

Doc.

March 10th, 2018, 4:31 am #19

I did these for JCR Offroad right before SEMA, and since I still had the jigs, did a setup for Maxbilt with custom printing as well.  New forum doent seem to like pictures, but the "Braaaaap" switch is for a nitros shot into the custom 64mm tb on the supercharged 4.0 in their McLaren orange Comanche. 

More switched I did (along with all the accent trim panels) here: 
__
Designer / maker of Jeep gauges and assorted automotive bits and baubles.
TeamADW.com

March 10th, 2018, 4:34 am #20

Oh sweet! I can put FB post links straight and and they parse!

__
Designer / maker of Jeep gauges and assorted automotive bits and baubles.
TeamADW.com