Crappy starts to a day...

August 12th, 2018, 3:32 pm #1

Got woken at 0020 by my car being stolen :(

August 12th, 2018, 4:29 pm #2

well that sucks... Anything important missing? Like "harder to replace then a car" important?

August 12th, 2018, 8:54 pm #3

Lost my tool case, network tester, drill, drill bits, but mostly was 160 miles from home with ~£5,000 of equipment, 3 folders of accounts, and my suitcase, with no way to get home.

Had to spend £500 on new tools to be shipped, £100+ to get home, I still now have to drive back to get the rest of my stuff, and I've lost a car I've only had for a couple of months and only put 10,000 miles on. :(

August 12th, 2018, 10:33 pm #4

Damn that sucks! What are the chances of getting it (and hopefully some/most of the contents) back?

August 12th, 2018, 11:58 pm #5

What kind of car and how the heck did they manage to get it started without the keys?

Unless it was dragged off?   That's becoming more popular around here thanks to the large number of trucks in the area.    Simply pull up, throw a chain on the target car,  drag it out with the truck and then load it on a trailer.  

Six reports since this time last year.    All high-value cars pulled from driveways around the "nice" part of the city. 
It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.

August 13th, 2018, 6:32 am #6

Lord [Redacted] wrote:
August 12th, 2018, 11:58 pm
What kind of car and how the heck did they manage to get it started without the keys?

Unless it was dragged off?   That's becoming more popular around here thanks to the large number of trucks in the area.    Simply pull up, throw a chain on the target car,  drag it out with the truck and then load it on a trailer.  

Six reports since this time last year.    All high-value cars pulled from driveways around the "nice" part of the city. 
Ford Mondeo - they smashed the driver's side window, and and far as we can tell, removed the lower cover under the steering column, connected something in which bypassed the immobiliser and they could just press the start button and drive it off, I lead it leaving the carpark so fast the tyres were screaming. :(

We know most of this as 2 days before they tried it on 2 other fords in the carpark, and were disturbed.

When they took mine, they had another go at one of the other 2.

<25 seconds in total to bypass all the internal systems and start the engine.

August 13th, 2018, 7:48 am #7

Yeah, they hook a computer to the OBD II port, disable the security system and start the engine.   
This has been going on for a few years already, but mostly targetting the BMW and Audi crowd, I think.  And up until recently the insurance companies have refused to believe that it could be done without the key, and that it's 'impossible' to make a copy of the electronic part of it.   
(Making it as compact as the parts in the key is difficult, but who needs to do that? As long as it fits in a bag, together with their other tools, it doesn't matter)   

I think you can find complete hijacking kits on the dark web.   

I'm kind of happy that I have a cheap, old car without all the fancy new 'security'...  

August 13th, 2018, 9:57 am #8

ChloeRed wrote:Had to spend £500 on new tools to be shipped, £100+ to get home, I still now have to drive back to get the rest of my stuff, and I've lost a car I've only had for a couple of months and only put 10,000 miles on. :(
-Sorry to hear that. Any chance your insurance will cover it?

Doc.

August 13th, 2018, 10:06 am #9

Snowtroll wrote: I'm kind of happy that I have a cheap, old car without all the fancy new 'security'... 
-That's kind of like my Cutlass. It looks cool, and runs pretty well, but before I put the rear axle in it, there was basically nothing valuable about the car. 😁

Really. My car had no desirable options. No ram-air hood, the engine is an ex-smog land-barge small-block, it had the weakest rear axle GM made that year, a Turbo 350 transmission (which being a non-overdrive 3-speed auto that's common as gravel, is worth about a Coke and a small fries) a standard non-tilt steering column, a nonfunctional AM-only radio, bench seats, the basic gauge package which is mostly idiot lights, and was originally a 2-barrel commuter car.

One fender has a massive rust hole, one door has a badly-patched rust hole covered in Bondo, the trunk lid is full of unrepairable rust holes, both rear quarters and one front fender are badly wavy and full of more bondo, and the trunk floor has more holes than a colander made of swiss cheese.

Anyone that might have wanted to steal it for parts likely would have brought it back the following night. There's basically nothing on it a collector would want. 😁

And of course, everything else I have is so obscure that I'd have a hard time giving them away, let alone worrying about somebody coming to take them.

One of the benefits of being chronically broke and unable to afford the cool and fancy stuff. 😋

Doc.

August 13th, 2018, 10:47 am #10

DocsMachine wrote:
-Sorry to hear that. Any chance your insurance will cover it?

Doc.
I'll get the value of the car minus my excess, so hopefully I'll have ~£4,000 coming in towards a new car. Tools/etc are business expenses so isn't really an issue.

Bigger problem is how to replace the car - the only car that meets my needs (mondeo sized hatchback diesel) is.. a mondeo.

Volvo only make saloons and estates in that size, Mazda 6 - nothing on the market of the age I want (my other car is a mazda 6 estate, but it's a 2011, a hatch I want 2013-2015).
Etc, etc...

So tomorrow the mazda's off in for a new headunit, and I've been in to the company I use for that, and they'll be fitting a tracker system at the same time.

Been looking at a mondeo this morning - 2015, Mk5 (eww, electric brake...), but it's the only non-keyless model I have found atm.
All the Mk4's for sale that I've seen that are the equiv of my old one are keyless and that seems the be the issue.
As far as we can tell, the attack is: they break in (drivers side window), and pull the cover off the lower steering column area, and connect on a unit.
Best guess as to the next part: it spams the CANbus with authorisations so the ECU thinks the key is in the car, they press the start button, and drive the car off. Forget "gone in 60 seconds", we're talking 25 seconds or less for this.

If I go for that, first job will be she'll be off in for a tracker to be fitted at the same time.

Note: the cars that area being taken aren't really worth much - it's just it looks like they found a way to take them en-mass.
Mine was taken from a private carpark, a ford CMax they attacked on Thursday was attempted again on the Sunday morning.

Looks like they just roll up in a car, people pile out, and they take every ford in the place in one go. This is a carpark with audis, BMWs, etc, all around of the same age (so at least 2x the value), but it's the ford they go for.