September 1st, 2018, 8:54 pm #111

csadn wrote:This is the part you're getting screwed on. I know the insurance ["the white man's burden" :) ] people have their accounts to balance, but that sounds like a 'jack.

As to which way to go: 4,000 is less than 7,000 -- "*DUH*". :)

(Maybe we can get Edd China to do the repairs.... :) )
Part of the issue is the recovery company:
They were asked to recover the car on the 13th, which they did.
The police released it on the 16th.
I rang on the 17th, their head office sent an email to the depot when I couldn't get though for half a day.
I rang again on the 20th, and past it to my insurance company to ring.
On the 21st they (recovery company) wrote a letter to me saying they had the car.
On the 22nd they (recovery company) rang me in response to the email of the 17th, I pushed them to the insurance company, car was arranged to be collected.
On the 23rd, the car was picked up by the insurance company, and the recovery company _posted the letter_ of the 21st.
24th the car and letter both arrive in my home town.

Yes, this doesn't really make sense.

But it's that recovery and storage for 10 days is the big cost - that's not the insurance, that's the issue that it took 6 days just to get the recovery company to answer the phone.
The 160mile return is probably only £600-800.

The issue on the amount however, is the simple one of you may think £4000 is lower then £7000, but it might turn into a case of more, as I don't know the state of the engine/tyres/anything else yet. I have to wait for the engineer's visit for that. :(
Mean while I've had to deal with the 6 flashing her DPF at me, which thankfully is just it's way of saying I've hit 13,000 miles with no service, which isn't an issue as the engine was serviced when it was fitted 5,000 miles ago - the fun of a reconditioned engine is the service record in the ECU goes out of sync with the servicing. But I need to find out/get a result before I run out of miles and she needs her next service.

Edd has cost me a lot of money over the years, by providing answers to issues. My focus was a good one. I didn't know about end float till the Saab turbo wheeler dealers.
And although it's a petrol, the symptoms were the same as my Lynx tdi. So that was £600 in a reconditioned low pressure turbo... Made her feel 140,000 miles younger though!

Chloe

Chloe

September 2nd, 2018, 11:44 am #112

ChloeRed wrote:UK traffic light cycle is:
Red -> Red+Amber -> Green -> Amber -> Red.

The red+amber is there to tell you to prepare to go, start engine if you have stopped it, etc.
I once read an official article (not sure if it was from the UK government, or the US Embassy in the UK) telling Americans how to drive in Britain. The traffic light pattern was mentioned in it, along with the official meaning of red+amber. However, the subsequent sentence noted that "in practice, you will find that traffic starts moving as soon as the amber light comes on".
I know I do 
Pete

September 6th, 2018, 11:38 am #113

Well, some good news at last.
At the repair centre with the engineer at the moment - first time I've had my hands on the car.
Opened the boot... all my tools are there, so they are now in the back of my Mazda and coming home.
The bad news.. the car looks repairable from the outside.

I looked underneath, and there's a half metre dent in the floorpan behind the driver's seat, so they are putting her on a ramp to inspect. But that'll move her from "repair" to "write off" :(

Paws crossed...

September 6th, 2018, 12:02 pm #114

Found a second dent matching the first on the passengerside. Repair costs £4,400+recovery. I've written her off :(

September 6th, 2018, 1:50 pm #115

My sympathy for your loss.

September 6th, 2018, 3:15 pm #116

ChloeRed wrote:
csadn wrote:This is the part you're getting screwed on. I know the insurance ["the white man's burden" :) ] people have their accounts to balance, but that sounds like a 'jack.

As to which way to go: 4,000 is less than 7,000 -- "*DUH*". :)

(Maybe we can get Edd China to do the repairs.... :) )
Part of the issue is the recovery company:
They were asked to recover the car on the 13th, which they did.
The police released it on the 16th.
I rang on the 17th, their head office sent an email to the depot when I couldn't get though for half a day.
I rang again on the 20th, and past it to my insurance company to ring.
On the 21st they (recovery company) wrote a letter to me saying they had the car.
On the 22nd they (recovery company) rang me in response to the email of the 17th, I pushed them to the insurance company, car was arranged to be collected.
On the 23rd, the car was picked up by the insurance company, and the recovery company _posted the letter_ of the 21st.
24th the car and letter both arrive in my home town.

Yes, this doesn't really make sense.

But it's that recovery and storage for 10 days is the big cost - that's not the insurance, that's the issue that it took 6 days just to get the recovery company to answer the phone.
The 160mile return is probably only £600-800.

[snip]

Chloe
Does that sound like a business model?

Do not answer the phone or act all officious and busy, drag something out for several days and collect storage for each day

That sounds like a business model to me.

Sounds like something you may wish to refer to your MP for passing a statute, once they have been contacted (message left, from a solicitor's office, or such) the rent ENDS and now it's on the cuff for them for each additional day they hold things up.  That'll motivate the bastids.

September 6th, 2018, 3:38 pm #117

PoisonOakMagnet wrote:Does that sound like a business model?

Do not answer the phone or act all officious and busy, drag something out for several days and collect storage for each day
I think it'll already be looked into - remember the head office couldn't get them to talk to them either.

Chloe

September 6th, 2018, 5:39 pm #118

Yayy for the tools!

Not so much for the dents in the floorpans. If the dents are bad enough to require fixing, it's quite probable that the car is no longer straight.

September 6th, 2018, 6:08 pm #119

Snowtroll wrote: Yayy for the tools!

Not so much for the dents in the floorpans. If the dents are bad enough to require fixing, it's quite probable that the car is no longer straight.
She looks straight, but it's more the though of "if she's been hit hard enough to do this, what is the suspension/mounts like, how about..." and the list will just go on and on with potential issues that will come to light if we try to fix her.
You can see they aren't exactly simple - esp as I checked the odo - since being stolen she has covered 3 miles in total.
She's not a heavy car (compared to the Mk4, the MK4FL is about 1700kg, down from 2190...) but she must have hit something with a hell of a force to make these. No idea what she actually hit as there's only damage on each side - there's no actual damage to the exhaust in the middle!
IMG_20180906_124227.jpg Passenger side
IMG_20180906_124143.jpg Driver's side.

September 6th, 2018, 6:16 pm #120

"No idea what she actually hit as there's only damage on each side - there's no actual damage to the exhaust in the middle!"

guessing speed humps - at speed.
the exhaust went though the gap in the middle...
Explosion - from the Latin, 'oh my god, my eyebrows'