September 1st, 2018, 8:28 am #101

Heathen. No wonder it's so easy to steal your cars.😋

September 1st, 2018, 8:35 am #102

I don't like the things that come with automatics.. Like the higher running/servicing costs etc. (the auto version of the mondeo not only suffers a 7-10% knock on the efficiency, but it's an emissions tax band higher)

September 1st, 2018, 8:56 am #103

And I've been told that a few modern small cars have a pressed-and-glued-together automatic transmission unit, which cannot be repaired or even disassembled beyond popping the oil pan. If it breaks, no spares are available. Insure it to the hilt, park it in a bad part of town and hope for the worst - or best, depending on how you view it.
Breakfast.com halted. Cereal port not ready.

September 1st, 2018, 6:16 pm #104

Yeah, in the USA the stick-shift car is an endangered species because of all the emissions rules.  But they're a Really Good anti-Carjacking defense - most chuckleheads can't drive 'em.  

Dad had to Special Order his Stick Toyota Dolphin motorhomes, once they put the automatic in the 1-ton chassis they couldn't give a stick unit away.   Even after explaining how you could have a fully self contained coach that got 25+ MPG and 35+ with a light right foot.  Just don't run the generator a lot or the gasoline use throws off the mileage figures.  And yes, the last few with 5-speeds (one with the 22REC and one V-6) could pull 5th gear on level ground just fine, but it would bog on the first hill. V-6 got a bit further before the downshift. 

September 1st, 2018, 6:50 pm #105

BruceBergman wrote: Yeah, in the USA the stick-shift car is an endangered species because of all the emissions rules. 
Because of the engines here, that always makes me laugh.

The easiest way to increase your emissions on a car in the UK is to order the auto version. It's always got a higher carbon output/lower mpg.
And if you had the mondeo's stop-start auto, I bet you'd be throwing bricks at it and disabling it with in a month as it drives most people up the wall with the lag when driving off...
(the manual version turns off the engine when you take it out of gear and pull the handbrake.. it restarts when you press the clutch, so it's ready when it's in gear. The auto version just waits when you're stopped, and after a certain time, it stops the engine. When you take your foot off the brake and press the accelerator, it then starts the engine and moves off, so there's between .5 and 1 second from pressing pedal to the car moving...)

Chloe

September 1st, 2018, 7:24 pm #106

The lag in restart you could get used to - all you have to do is watch the pattern.

When the other side gets their Yellow Light you put the clutch in, and by the time you get the Green and look both ways to make sure the other people actually stopped for the Red...  The engine is going.  

But is that a standard Bendix & Ring Gear starter, or the new style direct drive "Motor the Generator" style like a Hybrid?  Standard ones tend to wear out every so often and suddenly fail (!!)  And some car makers do really stupid things like Toyota burying the starter motor in the Vee between the cylinder banks, where it takes hours of digging to change it...

September 1st, 2018, 7:40 pm #107

BruceBergman wrote: The lag in restart you could get used to - all you have to do is watch the pattern.

When the other side gets their Yellow Light you put the clutch in, and by the time you get the Green and look both ways to make sure the other people actually stopped for the Red...  The engine is going.  
No, you seem to have missed this bit..
With the manual stop-start, pressing the clutch to put it into gear starts the engine, when you press the accelerator, the car moves off as it's now running.
With the automatic gearbox, the engine doesn't start till you take your foot off the brake and press the accelerator. There's no way to "watch the traffic" and start the engine with out pressing the throttle.

September 1st, 2018, 7:48 pm #108

BruceBergman wrote: But is that a standard Bendix & Ring Gear starter, or the new style direct drive "Motor the Generator" style like a Hybrid?  Standard ones tend to wear out every so often and suddenly fail (!!)  And some car makers do really stupid things like Toyota burying the starter motor in the Vee between the cylinder banks, where it takes hours of digging to change it...
The former, it's not a multi-shaft CVT like a hybrid uses.
The mondeo likes to throw it's duel mass flywheels out at around 140,000 anyway, and when you change it, it's best to change the starter at the same time - as they tend to be filled with the remains of the flywheel, if you don't change it while you are in there, well, you'll be changing it soon enough!.

Putting things in the V isn't an issue here, if you're buying a car in the UK with a V engine, you're probably importing it, or buying a sports car anyway. All the toyotas for sale her are I4's. The Mondeo used to have an I5 option, but the last mondeo that could have the V6 option, as an example, was discontinued when the mk3 was phased out in 2007. The Mk4 never had a non I layout engine, and the Mk5 (ford fusion) has only I4's as well (a lot of them: 1.0/1.5/2.0 petrol, and the 1.5/2.0/2.0/2.0 diesels. And that's not a typo, there's 3 variants of the 2.0 diesel)

September 1st, 2018, 8:24 pm #109

ChloeRed wrote:
No, you seem to have missed this bit..
With the manual stop-start, pressing the clutch to put it into gear starts the engine, when you press the accelerator, the car moves off as it's now running.
With the automatic gearbox, the engine doesn't start till you take your foot off the brake and press the accelerator. There's no way to "watch the traffic" and start the engine with out pressing the throttle.
Oh yes, and I forgot, don't need to look for a pattern, the traffic lights will tell you.
UK traffic light cycle is:
Red -> Red+Amber -> Green -> Amber -> Red.

The red+amber is there to tell you to prepare to go, start engine if you have stopped it, etc.

Chloe

September 1st, 2018, 8:26 pm #110

ChloeRed wrote: The quote for repairs is £2000 + VAT, the recovery/storage/shipping is £2400. [emphasis added -- CF] The value of the car is £5400, and I have a £400 excess. So the question is going to be, if they use the non-VAT prices, will they pay £4000 on a £5400 car to repair her, or will they pay out £5000 to me, and £2000 to recovery/etc companies) and write it off.
This is the part you're getting screwed on. I know the insurance ["the white man's burden" :) ] people have their accounts to balance, but that sounds like a 'jack.

As to which way to go: 4,000 is less than 7,000 -- "*DUH*". :)

(Maybe we can get Edd China to do the repairs.... :) )
CF

"The right tool for the right job." [Anon.]
"Any tool can be the Right Tool." [Red Green]