Computer controlled desktop cutter?

Computer controlled desktop cutter?

Renegade_Azzy
Renegade_Azzy

April 2nd, 2012, 7:49 pm #1

Im looking for something reliable that I could use to cut out designs from thin plastic and laminated stock. Ive seen some options, but have not talked to anyone that has hand on experience.

Im looking in the less expensive range too.. the one that looked perfect for my uses was in the $1000 range...

What I wouldnt do for a laser cutter or engraver at the moment.

smorizio
smorizio

April 2nd, 2012, 8:09 pm #2

have you check ebay and local creglist for those items for sale.

Renegade_Azzy
Renegade_Azzy

April 3rd, 2012, 12:08 pm #3

1, dont know what to look for, and 2, dont know what to search. Craigslist gets you a bunch of crafting tools, and ebay gets a lot of overpriced Chinese junk.

Foxfire5
Foxfire5

April 3rd, 2012, 3:32 pm #4

Im looking for something reliable that I could use to cut out designs from thin plastic and laminated stock. Ive seen some options, but have not talked to anyone that has hand on experience.

Im looking in the less expensive range too.. the one that looked perfect for my uses was in the $1000 range...

What I wouldnt do for a laser cutter or engraver at the moment.
I have a film cutting machine and own a vinyl cutting business.

I also have friends with a laser engraving business.

Drop me an email with your requirements and maybe I can help point you in the right direction.

The chinese machines are ok for some applications, repeatability and precision are not one of them though.

Renegade_Azzy
Renegade_Azzy

April 4th, 2012, 8:06 pm #5

Well, and old, old Gerber machine that manual control. But it isnt up to something like I am doing. I'm looking for something that can cut a multi-layered laminated cardboard type piece, and make small holes in specific places.

Foxfire5
Foxfire5

April 5th, 2012, 12:27 pm #6

It could be done on pretty much any of the professional quality cutters. Most of them will handle materials up to 30mil (0.03"). Graphtec and Roland are two machines that could do it (I have a Graphtec). Either way you'll need a machine that uses servos instead of stepper motors to handle the thickness. They make a heavy duty thick material blade for exactly this application. Thicker than 30mil and you'd need to look into the Roland GX Pro (~$3500) or go the laser cutting route.

If you want to go the laser route check out these guys: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Weapon-Ic ... 9763791841