Car stereo question...

September 24th, 2017, 11:22 pm #1

Anybody know if an aftermarket Pioneer car stereo, one of the ones with a folding/retracting LCD screen, that has an MP3/aux input, will also be able to read a CD burned with MP3 files?

In other words, instead of leaving an expensive iPod, phone or other MP3 player in there, just burn a CD (or even DVD- I think this thing can play DVDs too...) full of MP3s and play that? (Yes, we know it won't have the capacity of a proper player, and no, the deck doesn't have a card slot, USB port, or likely any real internal memory.)

And if it can, what format should we burn the disc as? I presume as an audio disc (if my burner software even has that option...) but would it work as a simple data disc?

Doc.

September 25th, 2017, 1:09 am #2

Most of the ones I've seen say MP3 somewhere on the faceplate... chances are that if it's DVD read capable it's able to read burned MP3's on a CD.

A quick google of the model number, again on the faceplate, should bring all that info up if you're unsure.

I think - it's been a bit since I made one - that a data disc should work.

So all in all I'm not much help.

September 25th, 2017, 2:06 am #3

Anybody know if an aftermarket Pioneer car stereo, one of the ones with a folding/retracting LCD screen, that has an MP3/aux input, will also be able to read a CD burned with MP3 files?

In other words, instead of leaving an expensive iPod, phone or other MP3 player in there, just burn a CD (or even DVD- I think this thing can play DVDs too...) full of MP3s and play that? (Yes, we know it won't have the capacity of a proper player, and no, the deck doesn't have a card slot, USB port, or likely any real internal memory.)

And if it can, what format should we burn the disc as? I presume as an audio disc (if my burner software even has that option...) but would it work as a simple data disc?

Doc.
Typically, most players will require reading the MP3s as a burned track. I'm sure there are some that will read a data disc full of MP3s but that's by no means universal.

I don't think I've ever seen a player that would correctly read a burned disc full of files (as opposed to burning them as audio tracks). Not saying they don't exist but I wouldn't count on it, particularly if it's an older unit.

September 25th, 2017, 6:31 am #4

Doc.
I had a Pioneer unit over a decade ago now that could play files off of data media and the current unit in my 2012 Golf can do the same.

Only way to be sure is either to search the net forever or to burn a couple of files onto a disk and try. The only caveat is to make sure the disk is burned in a single session mode and finalized, they don't like multi-session disks at all. I used Nero BurningROM instead of the built-in CD/DVD mode that Windows has as it gave me the choice.

Nero will also allow you to create a proper audio CD from MP3 tracks by choosing the audio template when you create one and adding MP3s. Note that the disk will hold only 80 minutes of audio instead of the many hours that you get from a data disk.

September 25th, 2017, 9:26 am #5

Doc.
The odds are good.

Some things to watch for :-

As someone else said, it is very important to remember to "finalise" the disc, don't leave it open.

Watch for folders - some older MP3 players don't like too many folders (I had one in a Toyota that would only play stuff in the first 5 folders)

Watch out for a maximum number of files in a folder (including the root of the disc) - one player I had many years ago wouldn't play anything after the 128th file...

If your CD burner software is not working for you (or too complicated) - if you go over to www.ninite.com, you can get CDBurnerXP - very simple, straightforward and free! (and it works on Windows 10, despite the name)

Cheers,

Greebo

September 25th, 2017, 11:33 am #6

Doc.
Pioneer usually have pretty good info and manuals available online.

If the specifications lists MP3 or other as 'compressed audio files on CD' it means it can actually play straight .MP3 files on a Data CD.

Not that I've ever actually tried that...

September 25th, 2017, 12:33 pm #7

Doc.
did not know this existed

http://www.manualsonline.com/

quite a few listed for the pioneer systems

http://caraudio.manualsonline.com/search.html?q=pioneer

not all of the manuals i looked in listed the formats supported but MP3 is pretty universal.

I just did a quick bit of back of a fag packet maths and was thinking that a good quality MP3 of a sub 5 minute song is about 5 MB and a DVD is about 4.7GB that would suggest just south of a million tracks :O .... not a bad solution.

September 25th, 2017, 12:43 pm #8

Doc.
Almost all the avic series read MP3 off CD/DVDs.

I just got a car with the non-flip version of the 2010 model (avic-f920bt), and not only will it read cd/DVD/usb sticks, it also turns out you can coax it into loading the 2017 software, bringing it right upto date!

September 25th, 2017, 12:52 pm #9

did not know this existed

http://www.manualsonline.com/

quite a few listed for the pioneer systems

http://caraudio.manualsonline.com/search.html?q=pioneer

not all of the manuals i looked in listed the formats supported but MP3 is pretty universal.

I just did a quick bit of back of a fag packet maths and was thinking that a good quality MP3 of a sub 5 minute song is about 5 MB and a DVD is about 4.7GB that would suggest just south of a million tracks :O .... not a bad solution.

on your match. 1GB is roughly 1000MB (yeah I know about the 1024 bit alright), so you're only looking at 1000 tracks. Still not bad. I don't think there's a thousand good rock/pop songs around anyway.

September 25th, 2017, 3:33 pm #10

Most of the ones I've seen say MP3 somewhere on the faceplate... chances are that if it's DVD read capable it's able to read burned MP3's on a CD.

A quick google of the model number, again on the faceplate, should bring all that info up if you're unsure.

I think - it's been a bit since I made one - that a data disc should work.

So all in all I'm not much help.
If it's capable of reading and decoding mp3 files, it should be able to read a data track on a CD. worst case, try it with the volume turned all the way down so if it does think that the data track is audio and tries to 'play' it, you won't blow out speakers/eardrums/etc.