September 3rd, 2018, 9:51 pm #21

I raise The Tale Of The Grumman Albatross VTOL:

Back during the Great South-East-Asian Unpleasantness, a Grumman HU-16 "Albatross" flying boat made an emergency landing on a lake well inside "Indian Country". Rather than allow Uncle Ho's Minions to have their wicked way with the waterfowl, a group of pilots and related flight crew (including the teller of the tale) decided to rescue the benighted bird.

Problem: The lake was not *quite* long enough for the 'tross to achieve liftoff, and still clear the large foliage inconveniently placed 'round the rim.

"Nae problem', sayeth one of the pilots. "We'll bring some RATO tubes with us." That among their number there was not a technician versed in the proper usage of said units was not commented upon at the time.

Our Heroes load themselves into a helicopter, along with their Takeoff Expeditors, and motor out to the lake where besat the bird. They figure out *where* to mount the rockets; but when someone asks "how many are needed to get it to flight speed", no one knew. So, naturally, the team went with the first principle of war: "You are not paid to bring back ammunition" -- or RATO packs, apparently.

With every pack mounted, and the team onboard, they taxied to one end of the lake, firewalled the throttles, and at about halfway lit the fireworks.

*ALL* the fireworks.

*AT* *ONCE*.

I should not have to mention at this point that the Grumman HU-16 has a great many virtues which made it quite effective at its designated role as a SAR unit; saliently *NOT* included among said virtues is "vertical takeoff capability".

Regardless of this unfortunate reality, the Albatross promptly traveled 1,500 feet Due Up, before the boosters cut out. Our Crew, once having changed undergarments, then pootled home.

'pon arrival at base, they were met by the Head Of All Things Involving Repair And Replacement. Said fellow looked at the plane, then shouted to the pilot whilst aiming a finger at the RATO pods, "How many of those did you use?"

Said the pilot, "All of them."

Without a moment's pause, the Repair God replied, "Take 'er to the Boneyard."

"Twould seem that using enough RATO pods to get a HU-16 to Go Vertical has a deleterious effect on the Usable Lifespan of the wing spars....
CF

"The right tool for the right job." [Anon.]
"Any tool can be the Right Tool." [Red Green]

September 4th, 2018, 2:32 pm #22

What wing spars?  

The Herc may use up to 8 RATO cans when taking off with a full load, but that's a big, heavy and very solid plane, built to take it.
The albatross is a relatively small plane, and frankly, 2 RATO cans would have been more than enough.
(The only reason to use two is to balance it as I doubt there's many centerline positions you can mount a single can on that plane)

September 5th, 2018, 4:44 am #23

(O).(O)  ok, that beats the (in)famous JATO car legend hands down.

September 10th, 2018, 9:06 pm #24

September 10th, 2018, 9:27 pm #25

Great situation. A pity that the chicken behind the camera almost ruined the shot by filming in portrait mode.

September 10th, 2018, 11:10 pm #26

I was at Speed Week back in August.  We had three cars that exceeded 450 mph.  That's wheel driven, on the ground, at more than 58% the speed of sound.  

September 11th, 2018, 8:16 pm #27

Oh.. umm.. maybe we shouldn't have done that..

September 11th, 2018, 9:14 pm #28

tcurt wrote: Oh.. umm.. maybe we shouldn't have done that..

And then, some three decades later, they tried it again with a cargo ship....

"God damn it, Ca-- I mean, Oregon."
CF

"The right tool for the right job." [Anon.]
"Any tool can be the Right Tool." [Red Green]

September 11th, 2018, 9:22 pm #29

To quote Someone Famous....

"Do you think you used enough Dynamite there?"
Breakfast.com halted. Cereal port not ready.

September 11th, 2018, 10:29 pm #30

Makes me wish my cousin hadn't been there when her husband asked me, "So, you want to try driving the boat?". Small hydro, nothing massive, but whatever racing class it was in at the time (80 - 82-ish) ran 302 Chevy motors & magnetos. I was maybe 18 & 180 lbs at the time, 20-ish lbs lighter than their current driver. She had a slight meltdown & so I never got to a bit faster than's practical on water.