Buying a marker 'cause it's blue?

Buying a marker 'cause it's blue?

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

September 25th, 2011, 8:20 am #1

Friday's comic is more true that you know- or, indeed, some would like to let on.

Hell, I'm guilty myself- one of the first guns I ever bought new was a Brass Eagle Ninja Nightmare.

Now, here's a question/scenario for you:

You're working in a pro shop, behind the counter. Pretty well stocked, everything from cheap blowbacks to the latest Dye NTs. Multiple copies of each offering a small selection of colors for any particular marker choice.

A girl like Pirta walks in. She's played once or twice, always borrowed equipment, wants to buy a marker of her own. (Skip the accessories for the moment.) Price is no real object, she says she thinks she has enough to get a "good" marker, wants something 'tournament quality'.

But that's pretty much it. She has no idea what a "spooler" is, doesn't care about having ten different ramping modes, doesn't even know what a "chop" is let alone what an "eye" does.

What would you sell her and why?

Doc.

CameraGuy
CameraGuy

September 25th, 2011, 10:58 am #2

Because I'm still living in the '90s but ULE bodies come in pretty colours. Plus she can walk out with a colour matched warp feed and hopper and have a system that is fairly compact and reliable as well as pretty. My warp feed confused other players 10 years ago and I can't imagine they are any more common now. Of course finding a stocking AGD dealer would be a problem, I'm not sure that there was one in Canada during the 2000-2003 period when I was playing actively.

sniper1rfa
sniper1rfa

September 25th, 2011, 11:55 am #3

Friday's comic is more true that you know- or, indeed, some would like to let on.

Hell, I'm guilty myself- one of the first guns I ever bought new was a Brass Eagle Ninja Nightmare.

You're working in a pro shop, behind the counter. Pretty well stocked, everything from cheap blowbacks to the latest Dye NTs. Multiple copies of each offering a small selection of colors for any particular marker choice.

A girl like Pirta walks in. She's played once or twice, always borrowed equipment, wants to buy a marker of her own. (Skip the accessories for the moment.) Price is no real object, she says she thinks she has enough to get a "good" marker, wants something 'tournament quality'.

But that's pretty much it. She has no idea what a "spooler" is, doesn't care about having ten different ramping modes, doesn't even know what a "chop" is let alone what an "eye" does.

Doc.
They're all so damn good now it doesn't really make much difference.

sniper1rfa
sniper1rfa

September 25th, 2011, 11:56 am #4

not some sear-tripper or whatever.

Nate
Nate

September 25th, 2011, 12:26 pm #5

Doc.
...because it's freakin bulletproof, in my experience. I bought one used, and shot it for a week before cleaning it. When I did, I was appalled. And impressed. Any gun that can run that well with that much crud inside forever has my loyalty.

It makes me curious about their other products, like the Drone. Might be a good, more simple gun. Not sure.

Jeb Hoge
Jeb Hoge

September 25th, 2011, 3:30 pm #6

Doc.
Tippmann. I'd start with a basic X7 Phenom, see if she'd rather have on-gun air or remote, and then if she's going remote, figure out which stock fits her best and equip the gun to be comfortable to operate. The Phenom already has a paddle-fed hopper, multi-mode firing with a big fat selector switch, and it's going to be sturdy and (presumably) easy to service.

sniper1rfa
sniper1rfa

September 25th, 2011, 5:04 pm #7

which relies on a proprietary feed system and which appears to made up of seventeen thousand parts over something like an invert mini, which uses any hopper ever made, has about 7 components, and weighs a quarter pound?

The tippmann thing used to make sense, back when a 'cocker was a high end gun. Your average high end electro is now so simple and so ridiculously rugged and reliable that it's nonsense.

I realized long ago that the most important thing a paintball gun can do is have a ball come out the barrel every damn time you pull the trigger. A good electro with eyes will do that. Nothing else even comes close.

Kolea
Kolea

September 25th, 2011, 6:45 pm #8

Doc.
Does she want an electro or mech? (and as another aside, how mechanically inclined is she?)

If she doesn't even know enough to know how to pull a grip panel off to change a battery, then she's going to have to get a mech. Which substantially cuts down the number of markers to choose from.

And since she doesn't care about ramping and modes, then theres another strike against electros.

And since there are a number of good mechanical anti-chop systems now that don't rely on electro-eyes, then there's really no reason to steer her towards an electro to start out with.

So I would say a ULE Mag, with a Level 10 and possibly a ULT inside, and a color matched barrel, ULE body, rail, and X-valve (y'know, so its pretty.)
It will be:
-really light (so it won't be an issue for a chick to lug around)
-reliable
-low on number of main parts
-reasonably easy to clean (just wash it off with water)
-reasonably easy to take care of (just put some oil in it every time you air it up (although I'll have to sell her the right kind of oil, don't want her using WD-40 or something))
-lots of upgrade options if she doesn't like something about it (which is a continual revenue stream for me and the shop).

Oh wait, the pro shop I'm at doesn't carry Mags anymore because they're so rare or whatever?

Then something else non-electro that looks cool thats light that will take zero maintenance- a Tippmann X7 comes to mind.

But then again, I'm not up on what the latest awesome mechs are- this is me working with knowledge of products that are available from several years ago. But I'd still stick with a ULE Mag to start with.

sniper1rfa
sniper1rfa

September 25th, 2011, 6:52 pm #9

>>>So I would say a ULE Mag, with a Level 10 and possibly a ULT inside, and a color matched barrel, ULE body, rail, and X-valve (y'know, so its pretty.)

And then when all the little fiddly o-ring carriers and shims and stuff come out of adjustment she'll be up the proverbial creek because nobody knows how to fix them or where to buy parts now that AGD is a shell of a company.

If the prospective user can't change a battery then he or she certainly won't be able to fix a leaking level 10.

Nobody
Nobody

September 25th, 2011, 8:46 pm #10

Doc.
regardless of whatever you offer her, the question of feel is most important. she could have long arms, or short ones, or she wants the lightest and smallest setup, or she could want the prettiest gun, regardless of what it is. there is no one gun, one setup one anything that is the best. how many years has this question been brandy'd about? if its a Cyborg RX, Droid, Geo, Ego, Victory, Marw whatever. you can put the best of whatever in her hands, but if she is uncomfortable with it, it doesn't mean squat.

sorry, i don't follow "The Whiteboard" anymore. i have my reasons, but one is the fanboy, or the total devotion to it, as the end all. so its nothing against you or your writting/drawing, its more of the sycophants that i don't care for. so if this is something of the plotline, as you are looking for something specific for the story, then i'm not the one to look at.