Boy, do I screw *that* up...

October 26th, 2017, 9:40 am #1

Thought I'd be clever and surreptitiously add the robots to the cast page, which I did...

Except it seems I used the wrong version of the previous cast page, and when I saved it, naturally overwrote some of the later changes, and when uploaded, of course overwrote the only other copy.

Not a huge issue, lost some of the details I'd added like some of the "special ability" notes and 'favorite phrases'. Kind of a pisser, but no biggie.

Well, I noticed I still had a tab open that had the original still up- so I saved the entire page. Except that when I tried to fiddle with it in my (admittedly old) HTML editor, it said it couldn't be modified. So I opened it in Notepad, copied the primary text out, and repasted it into the old, recently-modified file.

Nope. The page got "saved" as a unique document- all the links to pictures and whatnot only work with the folder of pictures generated when the page was saved.

So I need to take the freshly-modified file, and manually make the changes for whatever got lost.

Again, not a biggie, but annoying as hell.

I'll fix it all shortly. Right now, I'm goin' to bed.

Doc.

October 26th, 2017, 9:44 am #2

No text. I'm done. See you in the morning.

Doc.

October 26th, 2017, 9:54 am #3

October 26th, 2017, 1:04 pm #4

Thought I'd be clever and surreptitiously add the robots to the cast page, which I did...

Except it seems I used the wrong version of the previous cast page, and when I saved it, naturally overwrote some of the later changes, and when uploaded, of course overwrote the only other copy.

Not a huge issue, lost some of the details I'd added like some of the "special ability" notes and 'favorite phrases'. Kind of a pisser, but no biggie.

Well, I noticed I still had a tab open that had the original still up- so I saved the entire page. Except that when I tried to fiddle with it in my (admittedly old) HTML editor, it said it couldn't be modified. So I opened it in Notepad, copied the primary text out, and repasted it into the old, recently-modified file.

Nope. The page got "saved" as a unique document- all the links to pictures and whatnot only work with the folder of pictures generated when the page was saved.

So I need to take the freshly-modified file, and manually make the changes for whatever got lost.

Again, not a biggie, but annoying as hell.

I'll fix it all shortly. Right now, I'm goin' to bed.

Doc.
<span class="link">https://web.archive.org/web/20170427152420http://www.the-whiteboard.com/cast/</span>

This might help you get some of the text back the page looks like it was last crawled back in April of this year.

Stempunkhawk

October 26th, 2017, 1:21 pm #5

He's in Alaska. There are times when it's still yesterday for him.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody

October 27th, 2017, 2:14 am #6

It is morning when I think it is, the rest of the world is wrong.

October 27th, 2017, 4:40 am #7

NT

Doc.

October 27th, 2017, 6:32 am #8

Your editing ability does give you an edge in this.But only if I choose to believe you exist and are not part of some CIA drug induced hallucination!

October 27th, 2017, 5:04 pm #9

October 27th, 2017, 5:23 pm #10

NT

Doc.
Ha! Do you know where that quote came from?
Love thou the rose, yet leave it on its stem. -- Edward Bulwer-Lytton