August 3rd, 2018, 4:20 pm #21

timberwolfz28 wrote: yeah I don't think there's off-camera CAD work going on.  It just struck a chord (being a design engineer myself) how they had a perfect flat pattern for a pretty fancy piece.
Keep in mind that there was a time when *all* sheet metal design was done strictly on paper.  Once you've done enough of that kind of design, it starts to get easy.  You can draw a flat pattern directly, without the need to fold it up first.

August 3rd, 2018, 4:37 pm #22

DannyBeans wrote:I'm betting their release rate will increase now that they've gone fulltime with Bad Obsession.
-Wait, what? I haven't been following any of the background stuff. Are they really doing the car/videos full time?

Doc.

August 3rd, 2018, 5:24 pm #23

DocsMachine wrote: -Wait, what? I haven't been following any of the background stuff. Are they really doing the car/videos full time?

Doc.
My impression from what they said (and somebody please correct me if I'm wrong) is that Bad Obsession Motorsport itself was a side gig that they're now able to do fulltime.  From their Patreon post:  ". . . your continuing support has allowed us to both go full time at BOM headquarters and we're cracking on with the work as fast as we can now. "
"Vox populi, vox humbug!"
- William Tecumseh Sherman

August 3rd, 2018, 5:40 pm #24

DannyBeans wrote:
DocsMachine wrote: -Wait, what? I haven't been following any of the background stuff. Are they really doing the car/videos full time?

Doc.
My impression from what they said (and somebody please correct me if I'm wrong) is that Bad Obsession Motorsport itself was a side gig that they're now able to do fulltime.  From their Patreon post:  ". . . your continuing support has allowed us to both go full time at BOM headquarters and we're cracking on with the work as fast as we can now. "
Nice! I may have to add them to my patreon list so I can see some updates like that.
right now, Doc and Red Beard are monopolizing my Patron funding

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

August 3rd, 2018, 5:43 pm #25

Huh. I seem to recall that the one time I looked at their forum, one Q&A bit suggested that Rich lived something like 100 miles away.

That's a significant commute for a "YouTube Celebrity" day job. 😁

Doc.

August 3rd, 2018, 9:10 pm #26

DocsMachine wrote: Huh. I seem to recall that the one time I looked at their forum, one Q&A bit suggested that Rich lived something like 100 miles away.

That's a significant commute for a "YouTube Celebrity" day job. 😁

Doc.
Probably a train vs car trip.

August 3rd, 2018, 10:00 pm #27

Hadn't thought of that, they're pretty good with the train thing over there.

TW: Two things, since I'm in kind of a hurry at the moment: One, who's Red Beard, and two, did you ever send me the drawing for that drill press thingie? (It's entirely possible you did, and I missed, skipped, ignored or just plain forgot about it. 😁 )

I'd love to see the guys put out videos faster, which of course means the car will get done faster. The project has already taken what, four years? (I still get a giggle from that first episode when Rich says this is going to be the car's home for "however many months". 😆 )

(Which I of course shouldn't really make fun of, considering a couple of my current "summer projects" are things I started back in 2008 or 2010. 😋 )

Doc.

August 4th, 2018, 3:28 am #28

1 Red Beard is a guy building small engine stuff.  go karts, mini bikes, etc.  Red Beard's Garage (on youtube). I build a lot of small engine stuff too.  He's got ome good info on modifying harbor freight engines, etc.
2 yep... sent you the print a while back.  Just figured you'd ignored it :D

August 4th, 2018, 8:32 am #29

If I did, I didn't mean to. 😁 Lemme check my inboxes and see if I can dig something up.

On the Binky thing, on another board a guy said he realized he'd started pronouncing it "Sel-EE-kuh" instead of the American "SELL-ick-uh".

I responded by pointing out that it took me three episodes before I realized that there was no such vehicle as an "MG Zedar". 😁

(It's an MG ZR, apparently a pretty popular small car. They just pronounce it as "Zed-Arr", whereas here in the US we'd say "Zee-Arr". 😋 I thought they were referring to a car with a typical oddball European name, like "Zedar". 😁 )

Doc.

August 4th, 2018, 9:03 am #30

DocsMachine wrote: (It's an MG ZR, apparently a pretty popular small car. They just pronounce it as "Zed-Arr", whereas here in the US we'd say "Zee-Arr". 😋 I thought they were referring to a car with a typical oddball European name, like "Zedar". 😁 )
Popular, yes.. mostly due to the discounts on it that made it a very attractive option for a car at the time.
They did a line like that, where they took a normal Rover model, released it with some tweeks, and gave it an MG badge and name.

So there's a ZR, ZS, and ZT, all of which I think would sound pretty weird in an American pronunciation.

(The MG ZR was based on the Rover 25, the MG ZS was the Rover 45, the MG ZT was the Rover 75.)