August 2nd, 2018, 1:08 pm #11

Pete wrote:Same reason I made a cutlery rack for the galley drawer of my boat before finishing the fuel system?  Sometimes you just feel like doing the thing in front of you, regardless of the strictly logical priority order.
Plus the order you do things in may be logical (to you) but not to the 3rd party?
I'm guessing the wiper system was sorted so a) it's done and they don't have to work around where it maybe later, b) it's easier to work there before the rest of the engine is in place, getting in the way, plus 3) I'm guessing a lot of the engine and electrics work is going to need to be worked out together, so get as much of the ends in place so you only have to do the electrics once?

August 2nd, 2018, 1:09 pm #12

This is the first episode where I had to raise an eyebrow on their "cardboard aided design"

That piece they built for the wiper mount... they way it was filmed, the drew flat pattern first, then cut and folded it.  And in the end it looked like an origami dragon breathing fire. 

I'm a little curious how much cutting and folding they did before they got to a workable design, and THEN traced it into a new flat pattern.  Alternatively... (and how I would have - and have many times - done it) did they draw it in an as yet unseen actual CAD software, flatten the part and then print a pattern to trace?  Would make them look like a genius on camera.

August 2nd, 2018, 1:19 pm #13

timberwolfz28 wrote:did they draw it in an as yet unseen actual CAD software, flatten the part and then print a pattern to trace?
I could be wrong, but Nik doesn't strike me as a CAD kind of guy. Richard possibly slightly more so, but Nik's clearly the driving force on the restoration itself.

I do all of my boat templating with cardboard, or occasionally clay for parts that will be made in curved fibreglass.

Pete

August 2nd, 2018, 1:23 pm #14

I can't figure out why he doesn't want an elephant's scrotum. It would make buying pants much harder but still.....

August 2nd, 2018, 5:39 pm #15

Pete wrote:Same reason I made a cutlery rack for the galley drawer of my boat before finishing the fuel system?  Sometimes you just feel like doing the thing in front of you, regardless of the strictly logical priority order.
-Entirely true. For example, the wheel arches technically could have come much later in the build, like after the car's running, while they're in the "chasing bugs" stage.
But yeah, I think that main reason is that they needed to jam the wiper motor into the engine bay, and it was probably more limited in where, exactly, it could go than, say, the turbocharger or the charge cooler (whose positions can be adjusted somewhat by altering or fabricating the respective plumbing/piping.)
And, running the electrics, at least  as far as the engine, near as I can tell basically finishes off the car from the firewall back. All that'd be left to do is the paint, glass and interior.
Doc.

August 2nd, 2018, 5:56 pm #16

timberwolfz28 wrote:I'm a little curious how much cutting and folding they did before they got to a workable design, and THEN traced it into a new flat pattern.  Alternatively... (and how I would have - and have many times - done it) did they draw it in an as yet unseen actual CAD software, flatten the part and then print a pattern to trace?  Would make them look like a genius on camera.
-I very much doubt they're "secretly CAD-ing" anything.

Something like that looks complex, but is actually quite easy- they just didn't show us all the steps.

It's essentially the same thing I would have done- take a single piece, cut a rough size, make a couple of fold, offer it up (as they say 😁 )to the firewall and check for spacing and contour. Trim as necessary. Something doesn't fit quite right? Trim again and tape new paper to it.

Take that rough one, lay out a fresh one on new cardboard (technically card stock) taking more care to make lines straight and in hole locations. Cut that one out, fold, tape, try it out. Trim or tape pieces on to adjust.

Once you're happy with it, cut the tape at the folds, lay out, trace onto the flat steel, measure and mark the hole locations, cut out. Duplicate the folds in the brake, weld, etc.

That particular piece looked a little more complex than most, as they added... I guess you'd call it "more artistic lightness". 😆 Most of these parts got "lightening holes", but this one, likely due to the fact it'll be a visible and somewhat prominent piece in the engine bay, they made the holes more contoured.

Doc.

August 2nd, 2018, 8:27 pm #17

May also see them the videos a little quicker.. "your continuing support has allowed us to both go full time at BOM headquarters and we're cracking on with the work as fast as we can now."

August 2nd, 2018, 8:42 pm #18

yeah I don't think there's off-camera CAD work going on.  It just struck a chord (being a design engineer myself) how they had a perfect flat pattern for a pretty fancy piece.

August 2nd, 2018, 11:06 pm #19

timberwolfz28 wrote: yeah I don't think there's off-camera CAD work going on.  It just struck a chord (being a design engineer myself) how they had a perfect flat pattern for a pretty fancy piece.
I'm also a design engineer, with an emphasis on software design. When I report my progress to my project manager I almost never report the "trial and error" phase of my assignments. Just the results.
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

August 3rd, 2018, 1:45 pm #20

DocsMachine wrote: Now, I think we asked this last time, but what else needs to be done?

Wiring, obviously, which also presumes the headlights and taillights, plus sorting out the gauges and dash controls. The interior in general (padding, sound-deadening, carpet, upholstery, etc.) but I suspect that'll come near the end, after the thing's been painted and close to final assembly. Turbo and intake plumbing, that one power steering line needs to be properly fabricated as well as some proper wheels, there's still some underhood sheetmetal that will need to be worked on (like the heater intake ducting, which I suspect will eventually get routed around towards the front)...

So. First test drive by, say... episode 25? (Which will probably be roughly  mid-2020? 😁 )

Doc.
Accessories.  With its power trunk lock, motorized hood, automatic wipers, and working air conditioner, it already has more features than anything I've ever owned, so it seems reasonable that that trend will continue.  So what else can they cram in?  Stereo, obviously - maybe even a whole entertainment center.  GPS, seat warmers, electric kettle, bit that goes "parp," machine that goes "bing" . . . .

I'm betting their release rate will increase now that they've gone fulltime with Bad Obsession. 
"Vox populi, vox humbug!"
- William Tecumseh Sherman