Big Thank You to Doc and Andrew

December 6th, 2017, 3:31 pm #1

Well, about a year and a half ago I posted on here about a monster Doc created.

Namely my friend and colleague, whom I introduced to The Whiteboard.... he was so swept away by it, he decided he couldn't stop before he opened a rec field.

Needless to say he had to drag me into it too, although I haven't played in at least 15 years.

I'm happy to say, we just closed up for the winter after a pretty successful six months of mayhem. Seems like we got ourselves a business on the side that mercilessly takes away the last crumbs of our free time. :D :D :D

I would like to thank you guys for the inspiration, the knowledge and help we found here and on the FB page of Point Blank Paintball Field, where Andrew helped us a LOT (and let me pester him with messages). :D
JozsefC

December 6th, 2017, 7:48 pm #2

I think I've found a memory about that thread, and that the most common reply was something along the line of "Don't do it!". Obviously you did it anyway and from your post I get the idea that you had some good times...

Congratulations for making it through the first season! Let's hope you have many successful seasons to look forward to and that you keep having fun doing it.

So, what did you end up with in the way of equipment, and what would you change if you had the chance to do it again, starting from scratch with the same resources but knowing what you now know?

December 6th, 2017, 11:39 pm #3

LOL "Don't do it" was the thing I kept telling my friend too, but then I couldn't let him jump in the river without someone to keep him company. :P

We didn't have an overabundance of money to invest, so we kept it basic and durable.
Tippmann Cronus rentals runnin on CO2, VForce Sentry masks, military pants and jackets (we provide clothing).
Got a few Motorola radios for reffing and general comms around the field.

Friend was financing it mostly, I brought in some "acquaintanceship capital" (called in some old favors with some people), made a very sweet deal on the field rental.
We are renting part of a defunct agricultural compound including office, club room and a large building (about 70 yard long, 20 yard wide industrial grade stable we cleaned out) where we have our first field, including a 5 yard outer perimeter around the building totaling at approx. 16000 sq.feet. We get the place including office and club room in exchange for maintenance, mowing, etc. Water and electric included, basically no-cost.

Started out pretty good, a couple of other colleagues helped out with reffing every so often, we have our very own version of Jinx (tho he is 17, but we do owe him a lot of paint) :D

We closed up last weekend for the winter, but first we wanted to see with our own eyes how badly CO2 performs below freezing temperatures. It was bad. Scattershot doesn't aptly describe it. :D Not to mention it felt like being shot with rocks.
JozsefC

December 7th, 2017, 2:40 pm #4

Well, about a year and a half ago I posted on here about a monster Doc created.

Namely my friend and colleague, whom I introduced to The Whiteboard.... he was so swept away by it, he decided he couldn't stop before he opened a rec field.

Needless to say he had to drag me into it too, although I haven't played in at least 15 years.

I'm happy to say, we just closed up for the winter after a pretty successful six months of mayhem. Seems like we got ourselves a business on the side that mercilessly takes away the last crumbs of our free time. :D :D :D

I would like to thank you guys for the inspiration, the knowledge and help we found here and on the FB page of Point Blank Paintball Field, where Andrew helped us a LOT (and let me pester him with messages). :D
Sounds like you have a killer setup going. Keep up the good work. But if you have fun everyone who comes out will pick up will on it and have fun too.. I think every small field 10-/20 people a day. Ends up turning the regulars into helpers for free/discounted paint and field fees🤪.one thing we found useful is for younger parties we turn the velocity down to about 240-250. Doesn’t hurt near as much, but we only do that for private game settings. One of the most important things you can do though is train your older/experienced players into teaching and helping the newbs that show up. If you can maintain that type of atmosphere over a tourney one, you’ll get groups coming back every year. Also if you get to where you can afford it HPA is much more stable and cheaper big pic, but even a simple air system like we run is Expensive. (10kish)

PS nothing wrong with a tournament setting, it’s just not as nice to new players.

PPS we don’t use traditional paintball insurance as it was way overpriced. We went to a broker and are insured for 5 mill and can be mobile. Covers our entire operation and property for 1800 a year.

December 7th, 2017, 4:16 pm #5

Thank you, Andrew.

We mostly plan to keep it rec play, we are trying to keep it as friendly as possible. We had groups of kids also, they had the time of their life. You told me earlier that it's a good idea to turn the velocity down for the youngins, I heeded that advice and did so.
We got a portable chrony so we can closely monitor the markers if needed (a German Virtue Clock II).
Best turnout was about 40-50 people a day and we didn't get into serious advertising yet.
We live in the NW corner of Hungary, where we have a tri-border area, we aim to do get people from Austria and Slovakia too, so hopefully we will be booked full next year.

HPA would be nice, but at the moment it is out of the question, maybe in a year or two once we got the investment back and start turning a profit.

Property damage (unless intentional of course) is covered by the owner's insurance, so we only have to worry about injury related stuff, but we have a blanket sports group-insurance for that.

Once more, thank you very much for your patience and feedback.
JozsefC

December 10th, 2017, 11:55 pm #6

LOL "Don't do it" was the thing I kept telling my friend too, but then I couldn't let him jump in the river without someone to keep him company. :P

We didn't have an overabundance of money to invest, so we kept it basic and durable.
Tippmann Cronus rentals runnin on CO2, VForce Sentry masks, military pants and jackets (we provide clothing).
Got a few Motorola radios for reffing and general comms around the field.

Friend was financing it mostly, I brought in some "acquaintanceship capital" (called in some old favors with some people), made a very sweet deal on the field rental.
We are renting part of a defunct agricultural compound including office, club room and a large building (about 70 yard long, 20 yard wide industrial grade stable we cleaned out) where we have our first field, including a 5 yard outer perimeter around the building totaling at approx. 16000 sq.feet. We get the place including office and club room in exchange for maintenance, mowing, etc. Water and electric included, basically no-cost.

Started out pretty good, a couple of other colleagues helped out with reffing every so often, we have our very own version of Jinx (tho he is 17, but we do owe him a lot of paint) :D

We closed up last weekend for the winter, but first we wanted to see with our own eyes how badly CO2 performs below freezing temperatures. It was bad. Scattershot doesn't aptly describe it. :D Not to mention it felt like being shot with rocks.
Yea, not much to do about CO2 when it's sub freezing. I have a syphon making sure my bushmaster run liquid, and it kind of works a little better, but it's not really a good idea. And now I've dated myself... Back when I got my gear auto loaders were few and far between. The state of the art was the .68 automag, which I still think was a very nice design, or the autococker. The typical rental back then was a Tipman 68, no surprise there as it was/is apparently indestructible.