Best way to edit PDF files?

Best way to edit PDF files?

Deus Machina
Deus Machina

July 19th, 2012, 4:57 pm #1

Been playing D&D on Sundays, and our group uses the official Charact Creator program. Pretty good once you're used to it, but it still has a few bugs. Namely deciding it wants to stick one weapon with me instead of another, and not adding bonuses I get from feats to my skills.

Printing them out and then writing on them was fine, but when the sheet changes every level, it gets tiring after third session.

So I've been printing to Foxit PDF Printer, then editing with Foxit PDF Editor... which doesn't seem to save the edits to a point I can actually print them, most of the time.

So, is there a good way to convert to .jpg or something, or just a better editor that doesn't make me run through two screens to edit, then pick and choose whether it stays that way?

FireFrenzy
FireFrenzy

July 19th, 2012, 5:26 pm #2

But then i mainly play oWoD these days (although we're going to play shadowrun after this campaign i think *squeels like a little girl who loves cyberpun*)

But cant you just type it up by hand or is your DM that much of a dick about the whole thing? (Mine's awesome for story purposes but doesn't have the firmest grasp of the rules -by which i mean next to no grasp- yet oddly enough he improvises some of the most balanced encounters i have ever seen...)

Deus Machina
Deus Machina

July 19th, 2012, 5:48 pm #3

but the Character Creator ones are a lot more convenient, overall. They do all the math for you, the skill/spell/exploit sheet has a 'roll and add this number' at the top, then breaks it down at the bottom, and the sheet has a quick stat and mod section at the top...

I did think that it was a lot more convenient because I didn't need to update everything every level and change, but I do keep notes to that effect now anyway.

Really, it's not the character sheet that is a huge problem, it's the skills page that I need to do the editing on, mostly.

Robert L Martin
Robert L Martin

July 19th, 2012, 5:52 pm #4

both of them will import the take a doc sanitize it and wrap it up kind of PDF and then you can go at it as needed.

i kindof forgot that Foxit had a PDF printer thing

smorizio
smorizio

July 20th, 2012, 1:54 pm #5

Been playing D&D on Sundays, and our group uses the official Charact Creator program. Pretty good once you're used to it, but it still has a few bugs. Namely deciding it wants to stick one weapon with me instead of another, and not adding bonuses I get from feats to my skills.

Printing them out and then writing on them was fine, but when the sheet changes every level, it gets tiring after third session.

So I've been printing to Foxit PDF Printer, then editing with Foxit PDF Editor... which doesn't seem to save the edits to a point I can actually print them, most of the time.

So, is there a good way to convert to .jpg or something, or just a better editor that doesn't make me run through two screens to edit, then pick and choose whether it stays that way?
convert the pdf to a word doc. then you can edit the work doc all day long in a word processor.

Salda007
Salda007

July 20th, 2012, 2:15 pm #6

GIMP or Photoshop will both open PDF pages as image files. It'd be something of a kludge for your purpose, but it'll work.

Andrick
Andrick

July 20th, 2012, 4:11 pm #7

Then you go to tools and select the Text Touch-up tool to change the text as you see fit. But if you have the free Reader program then you need another program or do the other workarounds of exporting the information into picture or text files. Alternatively, you could look around for other programs that handle character creation that does everything you need it to do.

smorizio
smorizio

July 20th, 2012, 4:43 pm #8

http://www.pdfescape.com/