Behind the Scenes 8-31-12

Behind the Scenes 8-31-12

McClaw
McClaw

August 31st, 2012, 1:56 pm #1

So that's what Sandy's been doing all that time on her PC...

Pirta -- snerk -- Give that girl a cold drink!
(I did a little research, and hair supposedly has an R-value of 3.88 per inch when used as insulation. That would require Pirta to have about 8.25" of fur.)

Nothing about how long it took for Kasi to finish the thing.

eight tail fox
eight tail fox

August 31st, 2012, 2:36 pm #2

hair and fur are different things. snow leopard fur if i remember right is something like two layers of fur. inner and outer thats is designed to trap a insulating layer of air. so the fluff is thinner.

Robert L Martin
Robert L Martin

August 31st, 2012, 3:17 pm #3

(I did a little research, and hair supposedly has an R-value of 3.88 per inch when used as insulation. That would require Pirta to have about 8.25" of fur.)

i could see a kitteh her size eating over a couple days a young Water Buffalo and or a Chocolate/Candy Water Buffalo

Ketira
Ketira

August 31st, 2012, 5:27 pm #4

...Kasi's parents killing one and giving it to her to "practice" on. (Remember what she said when she got the pigtails? "I take my pouncing very seriously.")

That's why she probably said "what?" when that pop-up showed near her.

Rocket T. Coyote
Rocket T. Coyote

August 31st, 2012, 5:51 pm #5

i could see a kitteh her size eating over a couple days a young Water Buffalo and or a Chocolate/Candy Water Buffalo
A big cookie in the shape of a water buffalo most likely.

Robin Bobcat
Robin Bobcat

August 31st, 2012, 6:34 pm #6

Oh.. oh dear.. my sides.. hee hee..

tkzv
tkzv

August 31st, 2012, 6:38 pm #7

The first table I found says it's 10 inches of fiberglass or rock wool:http://www.allwallsystem.com/design/RValueTable.html Or over 5 inches of polyurethane foam or Thinsulate.

Wait, does this value apply to Pirta's fur, or to whole Pirta?

Brandon_ha
Brandon_ha

August 31st, 2012, 7:50 pm #8

New / Tent!

Bruce
Bruce

August 31st, 2012, 8:34 pm #9

Are we talking thermal insulation effectiveness or resistance to vertical compression to see if Pirta is a suitable surface for a road in California?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-value_%28soils%29

McClaw
McClaw

August 31st, 2012, 11:17 pm #10

hair and fur are different things. snow leopard fur if i remember right is something like two layers of fur. inner and outer thats is designed to trap a insulating layer of air. so the fluff is thinner.
The hair in question is also being used as packed-in insulation not basic body covering. I'd assume it was packed to produce maximum insulating effect, so it's unlikely body hair/fur would be able to exceed that.

I'd love to find some information on the R-factor of different furs, though.