Aw crap, not again, DC!

8:49 PM - Jul 26, 2018 #1

Okay, as some of you may have guessed, I'm a bit of a comic enthusiast. These days that tends to lean more toward webcomics, but as a kid I was a heavy collector of newsstand comics, and I'm still a big fan of the modern superhero movies.

Well, that is, Marvel superhero movies. Because DC keeps proving, time and again, that they have no freaking idea how to make a good movie, or properly utilize their IP.

And, it seems, they've done it again.

For those that don't want to click on the link, the next DC movie is SHAZAM, which is more or less DC's lesser-known Superman, possessing almost all the same powers, except for flight and heat vision and whatnot.

And if the trailer is even the least bit accurate, apparently it was written, produced and directed by the same creative teams that brought us such cinematic masterpieces as Tommy Boy, Don't Mess with the Zohan, and Bio Dome.

Really?!? Taking one of DC's few remaining decent, marketable characters and making a freaking Adam Sandleresque farce out of it?!? Way to go, DC. Just when we thought you've reached the bottom of the barrel, you pull out a fresh shovel and start to dig even harder.

First and foremost: The trailer focuses mainly on Shazam and a kid I'm assuming is Freddie Freeman going around discovering how to use the latter's powers. Except that the name "SHAZAM" refers to the gods that bestow their respective powers on him, and the S stands for Solomon, for wisdom and intelligence. The whole premise of the character, originally, was that through that wisdom he automatically knew what his powers were and how they worked.

AND, that same wisdom lets Captain... er, Shazam think and act like an adult, not a 14-year-old twerp like he's shown in the trailer.

I was already getting leery about the trailer about the time Batson joked about the wizard's name, was pretty disappointed by the time it came around to the "how do I even pee in this thing?" line, and by the "you're welcome for not being robbed!" line I was well into disgusted.

Unless there is a serious last-minute rewrite-and-reshoot to the movie, or it turns out the trailer was incredibly, deliberately misleading, DC's looking at another megabudget Green Lantern superflop.

Could somebody go and slap some sense into those guys? Please?

Doc.

11:27 PM - Jul 26, 2018 #2

the big issue with dc is they lost most of there input to these movies. if you read about the jla movie it was to be a two part movie and the studio due to cost cut about 1/2 film out. as with shazam it would have been better if the first one started with black adam and the wizzard and not the villein they went with.

12:26 AM - Jul 27, 2018 #3

Little kid in a man's body is how they've been handling the character in most of their media, lately. Which is a shame, because I loved the Captain Marvel that gave the league a lecture on maturity, in Justice League Unlimited.

8:57 AM - Jul 27, 2018 #4

Greyryder wrote:Little kid in a man's body is how they've been handling the character in most of their media, lately. Which is a shame, because I loved the Captain Marvel that gave the league a lecture on maturity, in Justice League Unlimited.
-I can't say I've seen any media with the character, apart from an literally antique compilation book I picked up last spring, that had a late-forties Captain Marvel serial in it.

But even if the recent comic-book version WAS treated as a 14-year-old kid in a man's body, that's an amazingly stupid way to treat a wanna-be-blockbuster movie. Especially with DC's track record on movies.

I'm a big comic fan, and after that trailer, I had zero interest in seeing the movie.

Doc.

11:13 AM - Jul 27, 2018 #5

5:42 PM - Jul 27, 2018 #6

I think I've figured out DC's strategy for the movies.
Step 1.  Find out what the fans want with this character.
Step 2.  Prepare a script that goes in the exact opposite direction for that character.
Step 3.  Edit the script further so that it actually punishes fans for wanting what they wanted.
Step 4.  Watch the movie tank.
Step 5.  Blame the fans.

Seriously.  They asked people about Superman. The fans all talked fondly about the original movie with Chris Reeve.  Then Zach Snyder was let loose.  He was ANGRY WITH THE FANS for wanting that.  He was planning on a movie with no costume, no flying, and no saying "Superman" until the final scenes.  In short, he wanted to make a movie without Superman, then stick him in at the end.   How well did he know the character?  When someone mentioned Kal-El in script discussions, he had to ask who they kept talking about.  (When Chris Columbus got the green light for the first Harry Potter movie, he immediately began cramming and reading the books.  The Iron Man crew were all fans- except Gwyneth and she immediately borrowed a stack of IM comics.) 

In any smart team, knowing what the customer wants is a good thing. Then you know what will make you money.  Movies is a service industry. If you don't give the customer what they want, someone else will- right Marvel?

Shazam!  was a great chance to finally give the fans a BRIGHT, CHEERY movie like they missed with Superman and the JLA.  This proves they haven't learned.  "The lessons repeat until they are learned."

6:07 PM - Jul 27, 2018 #7

My only hope is that all the cheese comes EARLY, in a 'learning' period, and the movie improves as it goes on.  But yeah, right now... looks cringeworthy, and it's definitely the "kid in a man's body"
-- Wow! Look, a Signature box!

6:26 PM - Jul 27, 2018 #8

Batman can be grimdark all he wants, it's what the character is.  The DC universe runs from Batman on the fairly gritty and dark side, through Wonder Woman and Supes being noble and occasionally stern (although with many flashes of humor; Robin/Nightwing is the DC version of Spidey for snark), then you get the ones who let their funny bones take over sometimes, like Plastic Man and Flash.  The current run of movies is tilted way too heavily towards the bleak-bleak-bleak.  Wonder Woman was the only one where this treatment made sense; it mainly took place in WWI (Steve Trevor trying to talk her out of crossing No Man's Land made me think of Eowyn's retort to the Ringwraith:  "No man can kill me!"  "But I am a woman!") and it still managed to have humorous moments.  It was also one of the better regarded DC movies.

The movies are based on comic books; when will the writers, producers, and directors get this clue?

8:40 PM - Jul 27, 2018 #9

CCKinnison wrote:My only hope is that all the cheese comes EARLY, in a 'learning' period, and the movie improves as it goes on.
-See, that's my hope too, and I suspect we're right. But even if that IS the case, that's still a freaking terrible trailer. It'd be like if the only parts the trailer for The Matrix showed was Neo getting chewed out by his boss, Neo talking with the White Rabbit guys at the door, and Neo sitting in the car saying "I used to eat there".

I can see two reasons for this: One, they haven't yet finished post-production on enough of the likely-CGI-intensive end battle scenes to produce a full trailer (note that there's actually very little by way of special effects scenes in the trailer) or two, they don't want to give away major plot points, and it's tough to keep that hidden with the shots they have.

I'm an optimist, I still hold a glimmer of hope, but I hate those Pauly Shore, Adam Sandler and Chris Farley type movies, and this trailer reeks of those.

Doc.

9:06 PM - Jul 27, 2018 #10

Doesn't matter -- in about five years, The Mouse will own DC as well, and then watch what happens....

(_Wonder Woman_ -- bad enough SMS _Schwaben_ was a pre-Dreadnough battleship, not a light cruiser; "Um, guys -- yes, Fokker Eindeckers were in use in the Ottoman Empire; but do I *REALLY* have to explain to you brainless cretins why they would *NOT* BE USING *MALTESE CROSSES* IN A MAJORITY-MUSLIM NATION!?")
CF

"The right tool for the right job." [Anon.]
"Any tool can be the Right Tool." [Red Green]