August 1st, 2018, 4:38 am #31

Mark Hamill has outdone himself -- his voice work as the Joker is the gold standard (and it's so useful in so many other spots!)
Agreed that B:TAS is a pretty high bar.

August 1st, 2018, 1:29 pm #32

kiawe wrote: Mark Hamill has outdone himself -- his voice work as the Joker is the gold standard (and it's so useful in so many other spots!)
Agreed that B:TAS is a pretty high bar.
I saw a video clip of Mark speaking at a con, comparing his version of the Joker to the one played by Heath Ledger. He insisted he wasn't going to ever try to mimic Ledger's version, but the crowd kept begging him to "say it!" so he eventually gave in and said "why so serious?" in the animated Joker's voice. It was downright spooky.
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

August 10th, 2018, 4:07 am #33

I just noticed, so if anyone cares, I'm going to comment.  

It's about the history of "Shazam!"   Superman came out and sold well, as did Batman and others.  Many companies followed suit with their own characters.   ("The Green Hornet works? Introducing the Blue Beetle!")    Fawcett came out with Captain Marvel.  He became more successful than Superman because Fawcett played to their fanbase.  Superman was an adult reporter. Captain Marvel was a young boy.  Which story does a young boy want to read? Correct!)   When DC found out CM was outselling Superman, they buried Fawcett in frivolous nuisance suits to bankrupt them.   Fawcett went under.   Then the copyright on the name "Captain Marvel" lapsed.  (Marvel Comics found out, and rushed out "Captain Marvel",   the story of the Kree Captain Mar-vell, so they had a captain with their comics company name.)  Then DC bought the rights to some of Fawcett's stuff. 

The original character of Billy Batson, Captain Marvel is now public domain.  Virtually all his print stuff is not, and DC owns it.  They started printing his comic, but were unable to print "Captain Marvel" comics since Marvel owned that copyright.  So, the character could still be CALLED that but the comic could not.  So, they named the comic "with a magic word....SHAZAM!"    That, of course, was also the name of the old wizard who gave Billy and the others their powers as well as the magic word.   They came out with titles like "the Power of Shazam!"  and so on. 

People keep getting them confused, so it's no shock if DC renames Billy Batson or Freddy Freeman as the superhero "Shazam."  (Freddy, formerly  CM Jr, completed "the Trials of Shazam" to become "Shazam.")

So, the old TV or movies of him are called "Captain Marvel", and the later stuff (70s onward)  are called "Shazam."

August 11th, 2018, 11:05 pm #34

I did mention the lawsuits on page three of this thread. 

Anyway, judging by the trailer, this movie is going to have a sense of fun. Fawcett's character was always kind of goofy, which is why his nickname was the Big Red Cheese. One of his arch-enemies was a hyper-intelligent, talking WORM (who wore glasses). He spent an entire story battling with, and almost losing to, a garden gnome. (<-- You read that right. Garden. Gnome.)

So, while Billy and his alter ego were all sorts of good things (honest, loyal, honorable, ethical, moral, sincere and a host of other virtues), he was never really good at being "dignified."
Love thou the rose, yet leave it on its stem. -- Edward Bulwer-Lytton

August 12th, 2018, 5:02 am #35

Jelsemium wrote: One of his arch-enemies was a hyper-intelligent, talking WORM (who wore glasses). 
TELL ME is name was Jim. /rimshot 

August 12th, 2018, 2:24 pm #36

One thing about John Carter... 
The story was even produced as a cartoon way back in the stone age (the 19030s... and from 1977 to 1977 by Marvel)

Not that the story worked. There's so many holes in the plot that it reminds me of Finland(land of 1000 lakes)

Ant man may be funny, but they're messing with physics in really unfunny ways.

Black Panther?
Lots of pretentious pricks, really.

Also, never ever mention 'The Prequels' because they contain two things anathema to a good story; Jar-Jar Binks, and Midichlorians.
The first was included because someone thought they needed a 'comic relief', and the second was the answer no one wanted to a question no one asked.

If I want to see a PROPER superhero movie, I put on Mystery Men...
I mean, with hearoes like The Shoveler(swings the shovel better than anyone), the Blue Rajah(speaks with a British accents and throws forks...) and the Bowler(has the skull of her father encased in a transparent bowling ball) fighting bad guys like Casanova Frankenstein...  
They have a 'slightly unhinged' scientist building weapons for them, there's a doomsday machine... and there's Disco!
What else do you need?

August 12th, 2018, 5:11 pm #37

How could you not mention "The Spleen"?

August 12th, 2018, 5:44 pm #38

Because I was eating (a very late) breakfast when I posted that...

August 12th, 2018, 6:02 pm #39

Black Panther had some major issues with me... The whole "Noble african" stereotype being laid on so thickly it could be used as a foundation for wakanda city was not even the weirdest thing to me...

I had more issues with the oddball nature of wakanda, "Highrise towercity which means building up is cheaper then building outwards" but then no pavced roads if the crowd scenes are to be believed... And how at the end of the movie people we're so nobly grinding up grain themselves for some kind of baking project (everyone needs a hobby i get it) but how the hell is that cost effective? How do you get a standard of living that is as high as you claim it is when the shown percentage of the population doing "hobby shit" has little to no net productivity in those hours they spend on stuff like that?

And then ofcourse the whole "ha stark's tech is hilariously primitive and backwards" remarks that do not mesh at all with the whole "invasion of wakanda" in Inifiti war, If their tech is so crude compared to your spears-with-shitty-gun-built-in how come your army (all 100ish dudes who showed up) has a lower body count then one strafing run by Rhodes? 

Fun movie and i hope this isnt perceived as "ZOMFG T3H RAXIZT" but it did have some issues...

August 12th, 2018, 6:17 pm #40

Since i cant edit previous post