Art...off topic...

Art...off topic...

Daniel Meyer
Daniel Meyer

October 9th, 2011, 4:14 pm #1

One of the pieces we have at our shop right now...

Over 6 feet tall and carved from a single piece of cypress.

I think I'm enjoying this new venture...

(more pics)

CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer

Fubarius
Fubarius

October 9th, 2011, 6:05 pm #2

Either way it's great.

And I have to ask (though I most likely can't afford it, but if I don't ask it will regret it for years), how much for the Dragon and how much to ship it to Wisconsin?

Daniel Meyer
Daniel Meyer

October 9th, 2011, 6:26 pm #3

He hand carves everything...

They are actually quite reasonable...the Dragon is $1500. I'm working on getting better pics on the site...(never enough time in the day)...

I can check on shipping if you'd like...it can be done...of course...a road trip from Wisconsin to Northeast Texas can be fun too! (I'll buy ya lunch at the Italian place). Crating would probably run under $100...

Shoot me an email if you want more details (so I'm not selling on Docs forum)

daniel.meyer@lifeisaroad.com

CUAgain!

Z50
Z50

October 9th, 2011, 10:30 pm #4

Either way it's great.

And I have to ask (though I most likely can't afford it, but if I don't ask it will regret it for years), how much for the Dragon and how much to ship it to Wisconsin?

What is done to keep the wood from cracking? is it kiln dried or is cracking part of the process and generally accepted? I haven't seen anyone successfully dry a log large enough to make something like this without it cracking.

That is some very nice carving.

Daniel Meyer
Daniel Meyer

October 10th, 2011, 1:47 am #5

The Dragon is cool...one of my favorite pieces.

Cracking seems to be part of the process and he incorporates it into the carving. I'm not entirely sure how he handles it all. He's been carving on stuff like this for 30 years so I guess he's figured out how to deal with it.

I know he had the piece of wood (a GIANT cypress stump) that the big eagle was carved out of in his shop for a couple years before he did anything with it.

-dm

IDN
IDN

October 10th, 2011, 2:01 am #6

One of the pieces we have at our shop right now...

Over 6 feet tall and carved from a single piece of cypress.

I think I'm enjoying this new venture...

(more pics)

CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
you know it!

Bruce Bergman
Bruce Bergman

October 10th, 2011, 6:47 am #7

The Dragon is cool...one of my favorite pieces.

Cracking seems to be part of the process and he incorporates it into the carving. I'm not entirely sure how he handles it all. He's been carving on stuff like this for 30 years so I guess he's figured out how to deal with it.

I know he had the piece of wood (a GIANT cypress stump) that the big eagle was carved out of in his shop for a couple years before he did anything with it.

-dm
Time is the only solution - it has to season and dry out to below 1% moisture and stabilize before you do the final carving, or it'll crack all to heck.

You can kiln dry it for the finish, but it takes a few years of natural drying first.

BTW Daniel, I see you went with a drop-ceiling instead of trying for a more period Tin or Restored Plaster. Oh, well.

Daniel Meyer
Daniel Meyer

October 10th, 2011, 1:47 pm #8

The drop ceiling existed...put in sometime in the late 70's or so...I know the light fixtures are at least 25 years old...we just haven't taken it out yet. It is absolutely going.

Problem is, there's another drop ceiling about 10" above that one...put in sometime in the 1950's I guess...NOT wire and panels...it's 2x6's suspended by 1x4's that were nailed hanging from the main beams above. Then "stripped" or "lathed" with 1x6's and then covered with that 50's soft fiber tile squares (not asbestos thankfully). A MAJOR deal/structure to remove.

The (actual) ceilings are 16'...we'll be going back to that, but the remodel in the 1950's they just bashed holes in the tin ceiling to nail on the 1x4's so we will need a complete recover...and there's little matter of meeting a fire code if I do a remodel, so basically, it had to wait. All about the money.

Basically I have to cover 2500 square feet of ceiling when I pull the remuddle stuff out...there's probably not a 100 square feet of the old tin that is salvagable, though I have high hopes I can salvage the tin "crown" molding around the perimeter.

Even the cheap fake plastic "tin" is over $3/sq foot...real tin can exceed $10/sq foot, and the cost of the tin would (literally) exceed the cost of the building and STILL does nothing for fire separation from the 1st floor.

What we may do is a "coffered" ceiling, using fire rated "wonderboard" as the main covering and the same cut/boxed for the "trim"...something like this:

Still period...just usually used in fancier buildings/busineess...banks and such...or we could blame it on a 1900's remodel (building was built in 1860-ish). Some of the other buildings in the area had this type of ceiling. I think I can do this for about $3000 in material AND it's a legitimate fire break.

Our plan is to run the store as art/antiques etc to cover expenses for now and maybe put a few bucks in the coffers for the remodel, as well as simply to have a "not vacant" building on the square...

We need a couple years to reach the point where we can equip the coffee house/etc...so we'll spend the time in between to then gather all the stuff, then shut down for a month and reopen with the new ceilings AND coffee AND ice cream AND new restrooms downstairs etc.

Yah...big plans. Gotta start with small steps.

CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer