Anyone interested in the FIRST through-breech-eye paintball gun?

Anyone interested in the FIRST through-breech-eye paintball gun?

Curt
Curt

July 17th, 2012, 6:26 pm #1

Not "one of the first" or "a design like the first", the actual very first gun to ever have a practical break-beam eye. I would say an Eye of any kind, but the fact is Sandridge had a functional version (reflective) around the same time. It was slow, clunky and fragile, but it worked.

The LED one was fast, small, effective, and tuned with beam-values that I spent weeks working out through trial/error that I still see copied on designs today. Never made a big deal of it.

I'm talking about the Angel LED I modded in... ~1999 or so right after I created the Gabriel so Angel users could "keep up with the Jones'" or in this case the All Americans.

The marker has some minor wear and tear and a few extra (cosmetic) holes in it from test-bed type stuff, but is fully functional. I don't have any pics of it handy but I'll take some if there is any interest.

It has a plug Doc installed in the first location (center of breech, turned out bottom was better, which is not as obvious as you think it might be*) and a custom drop-forward with hardline that he added. Along with custom internal milling he did to route the wires.

I ran across it in a box the other day and thought, as much as it means to me, I bet it would mean more to a real collector. I'll provide what documentation I can as evidence, and I'm pretty sure anyone from the time (Have Blue, Simon, Doc, etc) will vouch for the authenticity, but of course I can't speak for them.

Anyways I would be willing to entertain any serious offers for it. This is not a motivated sale so please, serious offers only:

curt ~at northarc. com

-Curt

*Originally I thought the mechanical lag from the beam break to the solenoid actuation could be absorbed by placing the sensor up higher. In practice I could never make it work that way and bottom-of-breech worked better. I always thought having a pair of sensors would be optimal but never tried it.

Nobody
Nobody

July 19th, 2012, 12:52 am #2

granted, there is no view counters, but nice to see you still alive Curt. i wish i could make a serious offer, but i can't.

Poe
Poe

July 19th, 2012, 2:40 am #3

Not "one of the first" or "a design like the first", the actual very first gun to ever have a practical break-beam eye. I would say an Eye of any kind, but the fact is Sandridge had a functional version (reflective) around the same time. It was slow, clunky and fragile, but it worked.

The LED one was fast, small, effective, and tuned with beam-values that I spent weeks working out through trial/error that I still see copied on designs today. Never made a big deal of it.

I'm talking about the Angel LED I modded in... ~1999 or so right after I created the Gabriel so Angel users could "keep up with the Jones'" or in this case the All Americans.

The marker has some minor wear and tear and a few extra (cosmetic) holes in it from test-bed type stuff, but is fully functional. I don't have any pics of it handy but I'll take some if there is any interest.

It has a plug Doc installed in the first location (center of breech, turned out bottom was better, which is not as obvious as you think it might be*) and a custom drop-forward with hardline that he added. Along with custom internal milling he did to route the wires.

I ran across it in a box the other day and thought, as much as it means to me, I bet it would mean more to a real collector. I'll provide what documentation I can as evidence, and I'm pretty sure anyone from the time (Have Blue, Simon, Doc, etc) will vouch for the authenticity, but of course I can't speak for them.

Anyways I would be willing to entertain any serious offers for it. This is not a motivated sale so please, serious offers only:

curt ~at northarc. com

-Curt

*Originally I thought the mechanical lag from the beam break to the solenoid actuation could be absorbed by placing the sensor up higher. In practice I could never make it work that way and bottom-of-breech worked better. I always thought having a pair of sensors would be optimal but never tried it.
Don't want to be a negative Nancy, but I modded my Spyder compact in 96 to be electric and within a year had eyes in the breech.

I actually got the idea from another guy who did the same thing about six months earlier. We both still have our guns and could gather at least a dozen who will vouch for us.... for what it's worth.

*The four eye system is a bunch of BS. I got the same results with my Ego by just positioning the eyes at the top of the breech, just above the ball. The logic is slightly more complex, but it works better than the 4C system.

Nobody
Nobody

July 19th, 2012, 3:49 pm #4

not to defend Curt, but were is your documentation? hell a documented picture from 97 would go a long way, even a pic from a game you used it at. in the world where pictures and words comprise the proof, saying so does nothing. hell, even explaining how you did it would go a long way.

Curt
Curt

July 19th, 2012, 9:08 pm #5

I have never claimed to have invented the idea of a breech sensor, I do claim to have created the first marketable/practical design for one, as evidenced by the fact that it is still being used today on an industrial scale with little modification to the original method and idea.

This Angel is the gun that design was developed on and for, and is the precursor to all modern through-breech designs and reflective ones to the extent that using a micro-controller allows cycling at high speed without a second bolt-sensor.

-Curt