Anyone help me set a bunch of rivet nuts?

May 13th, 2018, 7:12 am #1

So Im 3 for 3 in finding undersized tools this week. I have a new product coming out that uses an M8 stainless rivet nut. The stainless part seems to be the issue. Most of the guns I find are for M6/M8, and anything I find rated for M12 aluminum or cold steel nuts is also rated M8 stainless. 

Im trying to keep from buying a 1K rivet nut gun (since my credit card is SCREAMING right now) but do need something that wont kill my already nerve and RSI damaged hands. when the next run comes in, I'll have about 300 of them to set in short order.  

Been told Rivet King is the big d*** in town, but also ranging from 700 to 1300. 
__
Designer / maker of Jeep gauges and assorted automotive bits and baubles.
TeamADW.com

May 13th, 2018, 8:26 am #2

Wait, $1K-plus? I'm assuming you're looking for a big pneumatic or even electric powered gun, then?

You might drop down to a lever-style setter: McMaster-Carr has three styles of levers, ranging from $160 to $500. A quick look on eBay under "metric riven nut setter" brings up everything from cheap import $60 lever style setters, to $340 pneumatic guns.

Yeah, a manual lever still requires handwork, but a pair of nice long handles and being able to use both arms (rather than squeezing one hand) should reduce repetitive-stress and fatigue.

Doc.

May 13th, 2018, 9:34 pm #3

The McMaster Carr
92388A120
type lever style (or similar) worked just fine for stainless rivet nuts for me some years ago on a solar roof project. The long handles helped a lot. MANY nuts being installed in fiberglass support profiles for the solar array.
AD ASTRA, AUT VIAM INVENIUM AUT FACIUM

May 14th, 2018, 5:05 am #4

You would think this is easy. My arms and hands dont work too great (too many years working in bad desk conditions) so I would rather a gun type, especially if these take off to where I am doing batches of 500 or more. I bent a set of lever style ones, stretched the holes (they were 14") in the arms where they connected. Seems that M8 and up stainless requires a whole new level of force to set. 

And yes, stainless is key here. Im making a product, made in the US, that competes  against a huge and cheap quality (Rough Country, for those interested) manufacturer who provides bargain basement quality at standard retail prices. So stainless is here for rust prevention. 

Ive broken a drill adapter tool that should be able to handle them, and a lever style. The company that makes the adapter type suggested a pneumatic gun that had no hope of pulling.. even with 2400lbs of force at the mandrel, it only slightly bulged these things. 

Ive ordered a 17" lever type to get by with for the first production run... might mount it in a vice and get an air ram to actuate. Cheaper than 3 or 4 visits to the therapist ;)
__
TeamADW.com

May 14th, 2018, 5:07 am #5

Here are the prototypes... these use the much smaller version of the rivet nuts:

__
TeamADW.com

May 14th, 2018, 5:16 am #6

So far these have petered out on me:
Drill adapter - https://amzn.to/2IeqLj5
Pneumatic piston - https://amzn.to/2IgTIqM
Lever type - https://amzn.to/2jS60LA
__
TeamADW.com

May 15th, 2018, 3:51 pm #7

We use a ton of rivnuts. Let me find out what tool we use.

May 15th, 2018, 4:35 pm #8

I just got word back from our supplier. The only tool they recommend for this size stainless is the rivet kin RK-50sp

Its a monster... and its $1400

:0

Guessing Im going to hand set these until the kits take off. Maybe I should just hire an intern... lol
__
TeamADW.com

May 15th, 2018, 5:17 pm #9

The real guns are the best way to set those of course.  But in a pinch, I've used a hydraulic press, and it did a reasonable job.  I don't remember the details any more, but I recall setting up a fixture to hold everything in place so I could just work the press, and not have to hold anything.

Also, your idea of hiring an intern is a good one.  If that's the only thing you need them to do, set up batches so someone could come in, knock them out for an hour, and then leave.  You may be able to find a kid on the local high school football team that would be happy to make $20 on the side.

May 15th, 2018, 6:22 pm #10

Renegade_Azzy wrote: Guessing Im going to hand set these until the kits take off. Maybe I should just hire an intern... lol
That's what I was going to suggest. If the issue is one of physical strength, muscle is cheap as long as you don't need brains to go with it.
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!