Anyone have a benchtop CNC?

Anyone have a benchtop CNC?

Timberwolf
Timberwolf

July 26th, 2012, 8:14 pm #1

Looking for someone with a small CNC that likes to tinker. I'd like a mold pattern made. Easy to carve material would be fine... a tight grain wood or even a block of bondo would be fine.

I can draw up what I need in 3D and send whatever file format you need, but I have no way to make tool paths, so that'd be up to you

Drop me a line here or email if you think you can do what I need. It's for a hot rod project, and I thought I'd try my hand at casting something small

Shargo
Shargo

July 26th, 2012, 8:23 pm #2

Got one but it's at least a month, two more likely, until it's up and running

Btw, where are you located?

Timberwolf
Timberwolf

July 26th, 2012, 8:25 pm #3

NT

MephitMark
MephitMark

July 26th, 2012, 8:27 pm #4

Looking for someone with a small CNC that likes to tinker. I'd like a mold pattern made. Easy to carve material would be fine... a tight grain wood or even a block of bondo would be fine.

I can draw up what I need in 3D and send whatever file format you need, but I have no way to make tool paths, so that'd be up to you

Drop me a line here or email if you think you can do what I need. It's for a hot rod project, and I thought I'd try my hand at casting something small
What is the approximate size (height, length & width) of the desired object?

And what will be the final molded material?

Timberwolf
Timberwolf

July 26th, 2012, 8:31 pm #5

Roughly the size of a Morgan Dollar but thicker. To oversimplify, it's essentially a convex non-monetary based medallion. And I'll likely pour it in brass or bronze (since I have an abundance of it in the garage still)

MephitMark
MephitMark

July 26th, 2012, 9:17 pm #6

Sounds like you need a model of the finished object, sized up for setting in a sand mold. Or a mold for the final object, made of steel to withstand the temps. of molten brasses.

Which means a wood based mold is out. The mold would bust into flames before the metal cools and sets up.

And I don't know of any polymer that would also withstand those temperatures either.

You know anything about sand casting by chance?

Timberwolf
Timberwolf

July 26th, 2012, 11:23 pm #7

I was actually thinking of trying my hand at sand casting. When I said machining the mold, what I should have clarified is I was looking to get the positive made that I can use to make the actual sand form.

MephitMark
MephitMark

July 27th, 2012, 12:47 am #8

The positive pattern will have to be sized up so when the metal cools it will shrink to the size you want it to be.

Unfortunately I don't know off hand what that will be for brass.

isuckatmoney
isuckatmoney

July 27th, 2012, 6:18 am #9

Got one but it's at least a month, two more likely, until it's up and running

Btw, where are you located?
I have a bench top CNC mill but its kind of in pieces and has been like that for almost 3 years. I need a good cylindrical square and about 2 weeks without the kids around to put it back together. . .

Pyfe
Pyfe

July 27th, 2012, 9:11 pm #10

The positive pattern will have to be sized up so when the metal cools it will shrink to the size you want it to be.

Unfortunately I don't know off hand what that will be for brass.
After you have a mold, pour out a few wax patterns, then encase them in plaster, heat them up to remove the wax, then pour your medium. The wax objects will let you hand touch them up before encasing them, and you should have no problems making multiple. (look up lost wax casting for a better description)