Any X-Ray techs here?

Any X-Ray techs here?

Thru-Hiker
Thru-Hiker

August 20th, 2012, 1:56 pm #1

Or more to the point, any CT tech's here? Have a question about the duration of the IV contrast used during a CT, and how long it stays in your system, not specifically in your veins, more like in your arm if the IV blows as they're administering it and now you can't even move your arm.

Email por favor?

Pump Scout
Pump Scout

August 20th, 2012, 2:17 pm #2

I work in Civil Air Patrol with a long-time imaging tech. I'll ask her tonight.

Ben

Renegade_Azzy
Renegade_Azzy

August 20th, 2012, 2:19 pm #3

Or more to the point, any CT tech's here? Have a question about the duration of the IV contrast used during a CT, and how long it stays in your system, not specifically in your veins, more like in your arm if the IV blows as they're administering it and now you can't even move your arm.

Email por favor?
An online forum isnt the place for medical advice. Seek out a real doctor!

PyroFiend
PyroFiend

August 20th, 2012, 4:07 pm #4

Email por favor?
email me, I can answer some questions.

Bruce Bergman
Bruce Bergman

August 20th, 2012, 4:12 pm #5

An online forum isnt the place for medical advice. Seek out a real doctor!
It doesn't sound all that life-threatening, or I'm sure he would get to a Doctor.

And if he's looking to see how long it takes a radiopaque contrast solution to clear from the body, first it might help to know exactly what it is they used. Then you can look up the details for that compound on the Web, and you might even find a study that looked for this exact problem, and what the results were...

I've had them blow out the backside of a vein doing blood donation, and that's painful enough. I'll betcha it feels Real Good (NOT!) with a foreign compound going intra-muscular by accident.

Only IANAD input I have is, you'll probably have a hell of a bruise for a while, and those contrast solutions are designed to dissipate and get purged naturally. Might take a while to dissipate totally though, since there isn't the mass bloodflow through the intra-muscular areas. It has to find it's way out to a nearby capillary a few molecules at a time...

Thru-Hiker
Thru-Hiker

August 21st, 2012, 11:48 pm #7

Email por favor?
Yeah, I know this isn't the best place for life and death medical advice. All I was looking for was off-hand experience. When I asked the ER how long the stuff would stay in my wrist, all they would give me is a range from hours to days. I was looking for something more specific, not to hold anyone liable, just so I knew what to expect.

Seems pretty clear now, swelling's down, should be good to go.

Appreciate the info...