Any Arduino guys here? Could use a hand

Any Arduino guys here? Could use a hand

April 14th, 2017, 4:41 pm #1

Looking to make a couple new products, and honestly trying to learn two different programming languages at once is a BAD idea, so could use some help with some simple arduino code if somebody has the time. (already struggling to learn WinCUPL for programming SPLD's and CPLD's). Just looking to start with the first design and go from there. Not a huge budget but willing to pay for the work, and would rather give it to somebody here on the guild than some random freelancer from who knows where.

First one is a very simple concept, I want to read an 8x8 switch matrix (with diodes), and display the results on an I2C OLED screen.
A selector switch/button to pick between a couple different potential matrix layouts, and that's about it.
Mainly it's to test out switches on a pinball playfield.

Later on I may want to expand it quite a lot, and add game specific display output, but for now I just need something that displays the basic "Row X, Column X" and which of 4/5 system generations it's attached to.

-Hans

April 15th, 2017, 10:38 am #2

Computer scientist here. The Arduino people didn't expect to be able to force another crappy vendor-specific language down the throats of customers (like lots of other companies did).

So, programming is 99% standard C/C++... you may even have classes and inheritance (if you want to). The most obvious difference to C/C++ is that there's no main() function as entry point to your program, but setup(), which is called after power-on reset, and loop(), which... right, you've guessed it, is called until you shut off the power.

Have a quick look at the tutorials -

https://www.arduino.cc/en/tutorial/switch
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/TFT

I guess in this case it's easier to do it yourself than to communicate your ideas to another person

April 15th, 2017, 3:05 pm #3

Looking to make a couple new products, and honestly trying to learn two different programming languages at once is a BAD idea, so could use some help with some simple arduino code if somebody has the time. (already struggling to learn WinCUPL for programming SPLD's and CPLD's). Just looking to start with the first design and go from there. Not a huge budget but willing to pay for the work, and would rather give it to somebody here on the guild than some random freelancer from who knows where.

First one is a very simple concept, I want to read an 8x8 switch matrix (with diodes), and display the results on an I2C OLED screen.
A selector switch/button to pick between a couple different potential matrix layouts, and that's about it.
Mainly it's to test out switches on a pinball playfield.

Later on I may want to expand it quite a lot, and add game specific display output, but for now I just need something that displays the basic "Row X, Column X" and which of 4/5 system generations it's attached to.

-Hans

there are a bunch of examples rolled into the arduino IDE that are generally well commented and simple to follow.

Two things though: learn to use non-blocking timers, and remember to debounce your switches!

April 15th, 2017, 6:31 pm #4

Computer scientist here. The Arduino people didn't expect to be able to force another crappy vendor-specific language down the throats of customers (like lots of other companies did).

So, programming is 99% standard C/C++... you may even have classes and inheritance (if you want to). The most obvious difference to C/C++ is that there's no main() function as entry point to your program, but setup(), which is called after power-on reset, and loop(), which... right, you've guessed it, is called until you shut off the power.

Have a quick look at the tutorials -

https://www.arduino.cc/en/tutorial/switch
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/TFT

I guess in this case it's easier to do it yourself than to communicate your ideas to another person
When I was programming the Arduinos for school, setup() is used to define the pin ports and the general (not function specific) variables used in the code.

The loop() section is actually optional. If you want some code to execute just once, leave it outside of loop(). You can also just use standard C++ loops like for() and while() to set up a forever-repeating code.