Another weird object to identify

Another weird object to identify

October 7th, 2017, 12:05 am #1

Since I did so well the last time I posted a weird object too identify, I thought I'd try another one.

When I found this a couple of years ago, I assumed it was a tooth in an ore crusher or boring machine. Now I don't think so. I saw another one just like it, and it was nowhere near any sort of mine, road, or for that matter any other man-made object. I'm now thinking it is related to the WWII California desert training, if that's any sort of clue. The threaded stem is hollow, probably a pipe nipple. It seems heavy for its size. Is it a tank part? A bomb part? Any ideas what this is?

October 7th, 2017, 3:29 am #2

I can't tell what the grey bit at the end is. An indentation or a hole?

October 7th, 2017, 5:17 am #3

The end appears to be hollow, with a grey metallic "plug", (for lack of a better term) that is slightly indented. The "plug" appears to be aluminium, but could easily be some other material. the pipe nipple is strongly magnetic, but none of the rest of it is. The pipe nipple is also corroded, but neither the dark cone nor the light grey plug appear to have any corrosion.

October 7th, 2017, 6:33 am #4

I suspect it is part of a mortar shell, but I have no military experience so am not sure. I did see some images that sort of look like that shape.

At least now that I have issued an opinion somebody else will chime in to say I am wrong.

October 7th, 2017, 7:00 am #5

And I agree that it's most likely a mortar fuse. I couldn't find an exact match on-line, but it's clearly in the mortar fuse family. Goody. Now I should probably take better care of it.

Thanks.

October 7th, 2017, 7:13 am #6

It doesn't appear to be American, those all seem to be much larger and more complex.

However, there's a couple of old Soviet designs that bear a striking similarity. One example- second photo from the bottom, middle sample- "Russian 82mm HE". Second example- middle photo a bit more than halfway down. Five sizes of shell that all appear to share a similar style fuse.

Chances are you don't have to worry about it, it's almost certainly from an expended shell. Or possibly from a round that was fired but didn't detonate, and the thin sheetmetal shell eventually rusted away.

If the latter, there's a nonzero chance there's still some small amount of priming compound in there, but even if so, chances are it's seen so much weathering most of the chemical is gone.

Can you see into or through the pipe nipple?

Doc.

October 7th, 2017, 6:35 pm #7

While there is technically a hole through the pipe nipple, it's 1/8 NPT. (or similar), and corroded, so I can't see down into it.

The odds of it being anything other than US, WWII are practically zero. I don't think we would have been training in that area and time, with anything that wasn't domestically made.

I've sent an e-mail to an old friend of mine that's now retired from the army. He'll probably have contacts that can tell if it's save to disassemble.

October 8th, 2017, 4:53 am #8

Since I did so well the last time I posted a weird object too identify, I thought I'd try another one.

When I found this a couple of years ago, I assumed it was a tooth in an ore crusher or boring machine. Now I don't think so. I saw another one just like it, and it was nowhere near any sort of mine, road, or for that matter any other man-made object. I'm now thinking it is related to the WWII California desert training, if that's any sort of clue. The threaded stem is hollow, probably a pipe nipple. It seems heavy for its size. Is it a tank part? A bomb part? Any ideas what this is?
Looks more like a fuel gas part, just missing the nut. Try it against a propane tank outlet it would probably be close. An ordnance fuse would have wrench flats for installation, and I have never seen a two piece fuse body.

October 9th, 2017, 3:06 am #9

I know the part you're referring to, it's not that. I used to be a gas appliance engineer. For one thing the larger end is sealed. I agree with you though that it looks similar.

It's not visible in the photo, but there are two holes near the major diameter almost certainly for a pin spanner wrench to grip.

My army friend also immediately identified it as a mortar fuse, and I was careful not to tell him what I thought it was.

Now I'd like to figure out how to ensure it is inert so I can disassemble it.

October 9th, 2017, 3:57 am #10

It came off a mortar, which means the mortar blew up, which means the fuse has already done its work.

If you wanted to be 200% sure stick it in a fire for a half hour. That would cook off any primer.

The primer charge should be tiny. Not much more than a shotgun primer or at worst a 22 caliber blank.