And while we're at it...

And while we're at it...

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

January 28th, 2012, 12:51 pm #1

Does anyone know if anyone's collected a list of all the "paintball episodes" of TV shows and whatnot?

I know that years ago, a thread here in the Guild had something like that, but has anyone seen an updated or better yet searchable version out there? It was the kind of thing you'd see on some paintballers Geocities homepage and whatnot, but I think that sort of thing has fell by the wayside in this age of social media.

Of course, early episodes were cool- the sport was so new that mentions on TV were actually kind of exciting. Nowadays, it's so commonplace that hardly anyone even noticed the reference to a paintball gun, nine years ago, in Terminator 3.

So, since posting has been kind of slow the last few weeks, let's see what kind of list we can make. (Yeah, I'm on a kind of 'ancient history of paintball' kick. )

I know an old episode of "L.A. Law" had a paintball storyline (which would have been something like 1991.) And there was an MTV thing with... Pauly Shore, I think?

Then of course there's the "King of the Hill" paintball episode, the one Jackie Chan movie where he used a green Autococker to shoot a tracking bug onto a moving car, and I recall seeing an episode of some low-budget TV show, where some cadets for some kind of space marine program were doing CQB training with loaderless GZ-1000s. (Think Splatmaster knockoffs.)

In the movies, I seem to recall one Keanu Reeves sci-fi flick that used paintball guns as some kind of laser blasters (for some reason, I seem to think one was an early Autococker without a barrel- the ram and LPR and the funky hoses were the "barrels". )

Another one I've been wanting to rent again, was a terribly bad sci-fi monster flick with Rutger Hauer. I can't recall the name.... dammit, now I'm gonna have to IMDB it... Ah, Split Second. Anyway, as I recall, all the guns used in the movie were either total fake props, or paintball guns. Rutger's sidearm was a .50 cal 3357 revolver- yep, here's a pic.

Hard to tell in that photo, but was blatantly obvious in the film. I seem to recall one of the others was a VM-68... or maybe an old Jaguar. (One of the other IMDB photos shows Rutger holding a revolver, with a "Point Zero" sight from an old Brass Eagle Jaguar... maybe that's what I was thinking of...)

What'd be awesome is if we could put together a YouTube channel of clips and such...

Anyway, what else goes on the list?

Doc.

ollytheosteo
ollytheosteo

January 28th, 2012, 1:17 pm #2

Jackie Chan used a cocker in First Strike to shoot a tracker, Van Damme used paintball guns in the terrible Cyborg, and Firefly used a lot as bases for future weapons. There's also a LOT of films using masks and goggles to equip the black kevlar-clad disposable mooks that now seem to have replaced the orange boiler suit Bond henchmen. Oh and Split Second was ace. As I recall Might not watch it again though just in case it ain't.

Thru-Hiker
Thru-Hiker

January 28th, 2012, 1:38 pm #3

Does anyone know if anyone's collected a list of all the "paintball episodes" of TV shows and whatnot?

I know that years ago, a thread here in the Guild had something like that, but has anyone seen an updated or better yet searchable version out there? It was the kind of thing you'd see on some paintballers Geocities homepage and whatnot, but I think that sort of thing has fell by the wayside in this age of social media.

Of course, early episodes were cool- the sport was so new that mentions on TV were actually kind of exciting. Nowadays, it's so commonplace that hardly anyone even noticed the reference to a paintball gun, nine years ago, in Terminator 3.

So, since posting has been kind of slow the last few weeks, let's see what kind of list we can make. (Yeah, I'm on a kind of 'ancient history of paintball' kick. )

I know an old episode of "L.A. Law" had a paintball storyline (which would have been something like 1991.) And there was an MTV thing with... Pauly Shore, I think?

Then of course there's the "King of the Hill" paintball episode, the one Jackie Chan movie where he used a green Autococker to shoot a tracking bug onto a moving car, and I recall seeing an episode of some low-budget TV show, where some cadets for some kind of space marine program were doing CQB training with loaderless GZ-1000s. (Think Splatmaster knockoffs.)

In the movies, I seem to recall one Keanu Reeves sci-fi flick that used paintball guns as some kind of laser blasters (for some reason, I seem to think one was an early Autococker without a barrel- the ram and LPR and the funky hoses were the "barrels". )

Another one I've been wanting to rent again, was a terribly bad sci-fi monster flick with Rutger Hauer. I can't recall the name.... dammit, now I'm gonna have to IMDB it... Ah, Split Second. Anyway, as I recall, all the guns used in the movie were either total fake props, or paintball guns. Rutger's sidearm was a .50 cal 3357 revolver- yep, here's a pic.

Hard to tell in that photo, but was blatantly obvious in the film. I seem to recall one of the others was a VM-68... or maybe an old Jaguar. (One of the other IMDB photos shows Rutger holding a revolver, with a "Point Zero" sight from an old Brass Eagle Jaguar... maybe that's what I was thinking of...)

What'd be awesome is if we could put together a YouTube channel of clips and such...

Doc.
Cyborg with Jean Claude Van Damme had a SMG60 modded to shoot arrows.

Gotcha with Anthony Edwards played paintball on a college campus.

According to IMFDB a bunch of the guns in the movie Serenity were modded paintball guns.

There is a horror movie just released on DVD titled 'Paintball" that has people playing a game, but then hunted by some monster.

Cheesy 80's flick Band of the Hand had a guy using a 007 to help train some teenagers in the ways of combat.

Oh.. lots more, but my brain is not functioning now.

Vaemer-Riit: Sneaky Cheetah
Vaemer-Riit: Sneaky Cheetah

January 28th, 2012, 1:48 pm #4

Doc.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Primeval

Season 2 Episode 3 starts out on a paintball field, although the players can't seem to keep their masks on for more than 5 seconds at a time.

Madcat
Madcat

January 28th, 2012, 1:51 pm #5

Doc.
The NCIS episode "Red Cell" had students playing a paintball hunt/chase game on campus, they even matched mysterious bruises on a body to paintballs.

Nohbody
Nohbody

January 28th, 2012, 2:13 pm #6

Doc.
I don't know if you'd take it as a credible reference, but TV Tropes lists a bunch of movies, shows, and other stuff with PBing in it at one point or another.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... allEpisode

MarkT
MarkT

January 28th, 2012, 3:33 pm #7

Doc.
They were on youtube I think. People shooting up the college campus trying to win ... something, I forget what. Nobody wore a mask of course.

Pump Scout
Pump Scout

January 28th, 2012, 3:39 pm #8

Doc.
The Robin Williams comedian-runs-for-president movie "Man of the Year" has a scene where he hits a paintball field. Just saw that one the other day.

Ben

OXX
OXX

January 28th, 2012, 7:35 pm #9

Doc.
We just started watching The Big Bang Theory (thank you, syndication) and they routinely mention paintball, are seen coming or going from it, and in at least one episode I have seen are actually in the middle of a game. They have shown full masks in their comings an goings, but in the game they were inside a fort of sorts and took off their half masks to converse, with only some putting them back on before going back into battle.

OXX

smorizio
smorizio

January 28th, 2012, 8:27 pm #10

Doc.
if you watch the clip the end has one the spy getting shot in the you know where with a upsidow shocker and orange paint.