AMP Illusion: Rare collectible or just another pump?

AMP Illusion: Rare collectible or just another pump?

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

July 21st, 2012, 11:15 am #1

Depending on the weather there should be another game this weekend, but my schedule is jam-packed right now. I can probably spare an hour, maybe two, but I certainly won't be able to load down the truck with an army's worth of gear and make a full day of it.

So I was making plans to just take one gun- probably that same 'Cocker, though I have HPA this time- a couple bags of paint, and basically just enough for one guy for a couple of games. No tools (!) no extra tanks, no boxful of pods and spare barrels, no nothin'.

And that made me think that it's been far too long- like a decade- since I've hit the field with a pump. Last one I can recall was a one-on-one with stock-class Phantoms with a buddy of mine in the woods out back. Even that has to have been '04 or at the absolute most recent '05 (and, by the way, I lost every time. )

That's probably the last time my Phantom has seen air, too.

I used to be pretty decent with a pump, since, you know, that all we had back when I started playing... So I've never really been a "spray and pray" type- though I'll admit I got a little carried away a couple of times a few weeks ago with an eTek.

So I did a little quick inventory. I have lots of pumps, but did I have any ready to go? There's the Eclipse Sterling that I traded for back in '99 or so, and which I've never had on the field (that I can recall- my memory dims) and which probably hasn't even been aired up since '03 or so. Sweet gun, but I have just the one barrel for it, and it's something like .695" or so. (And local paint seems to be .683" or even smaller.)

There's the aforementioned Phantom, which is tuned and tweaked and ready to go, but I'm rusty enough with a good semiauto. A pump alone will be suicidal enough without dropping all the way down to a 12-gram VSC with a 12-round feed tube.

Looking around some more, I have at least three Piranhas- the old brass ones- and at least one PMI-2-DF, but none are assembled, and a couple are icky enough they'd at least need a quick pass with the hone.

I do have a new-in-the-box new style Trracer I've never used, but if I may be allowed a bit of primadonnism, it's too cheap-tactical-plastic for my tastes. It's an option, but it feels like an overgrown Splatmaster. I'm a machinist- give me aluminum and brass and stainless steel.

It does, however, remind me that I have a nice Bushmaster, with both leverchanger and backbottle valve bodies. It's disassembled at the moment for fitting some SC bodies, but it'd take a few minutes at best to toss it back together. Only problem there is, again, the three barrels I have for it are all original styles- meaning more huge .695+" bores.

Besides, I wanted to finish the "California air" stock setup first- I like a lower shoulder than a backbottle.

What else? An unassembled PGP- again, 12 grams and 10 round feed. My Sydarm? That'd be fun, but again, kinda suicidal. I could assemble a Sniper- I have buckets of 'Cocker parts- but after looking around, I can't find any of my pump bits. The only pumps I can find are unfinished, and I have no pump rods- and both lathes are occupied with paying jobs so I can't thread one up real quick. I also seem to have a shortage of back blocks. All I have left are weird ones or P-block-body ones...

I have my old King Cobra- my first marker- but the last time I gassed it up was better than 15 years ago, and I don't think I ever got it above about 240 fps. The stock barrel is also about .698", though I do have a .690" J&J brass around here somewhere. That was a "tight bore" at the time.

There's my monster P-68-DS (Doc Special) with is a P-68-SC converted to direct feed, given a shotgun barrel rib and nickeled by Palmers. There's another one that hasn't seen air yet this century, and I've never had it on the playing field. Last I recall it was ready to go, just needs air...

But, as I stretch out a simple question into a ten-page ramble that'd make Steven King go "Get to the point already!" I remembered I have a brand-new, never-even-been-aired-up AMP Illusion that P3 gave me years ago. It's perfect- basically a fancy Sniper, I can use a good 'Cocker barrel... should be ready to go.

But, AMP is dead and gone, like many other companies over the years. I'm not worried about breaking the gun, I doubt I'll put more than 100 rounds through it during the day. (And that's if we even play- it's raining steadily as we speak.)

But I figured I'd ask; Should I keep it pristine and new as an example of a quality marker, and therefore perhaps retain whatever resale value it might have now or in the future, or should I go ahead and play with it? Are the AMP markers still desirable? Do they hold their value?

Maybe I should just drag the Mega-Z out and call it good.

Doc.

Bruce Bergman
Bruce Bergman

July 21st, 2012, 4:24 pm #2

... Yanno, that guy with the 100-point Show Car that never drives it anywhere but Out of the garage and On the trailer, and Off the trailer onto the Car Show grounds right where it will sit. Lest it get scratched or nicked, or (heaven forbid!) rained on! Or actually roll up a few miles on the Odometer...

Even Dew is a non-starter for one car nut I know - So Cal. and he has a fully air-conditioned & heated garage for his baby.

That's not a Car, that's a Trophy. Trophies are worthless, you can't do anything practical with them, they only serve as a reminder of what once was.

Cars are meant to be driven, like at the Nethercutt Collection - EVERY SINGLE CAR AND TRUCK in the museum has current California registration and is maintained 100% Operable. Fill the fuel tank (Fire Codes + safety), put in the battery and Go. Before JB passed, he'd just Pick One to use for the weekend... And they maintain it the same way.

Some of them they drive to the parade, then drive the route and drive it home again. Oh, and they have the last operating GM EV-1 in private hands.

And I doubt there's much of a market for "Collector Markers"...

If you want to air up that "Mint in Box" marker and run a hundred rounds through it, I wouldn't be shocked. That's what it was made for - might need to order some 'enormous' paint to fit it though...

Just don't use it as a hammer, and clean it out good when you're done.

Snowtroll
Snowtroll

July 21st, 2012, 6:48 pm #3

I haven't fired a single paintball in my life(and probably never will), but don't you ever do anything to make people think that markers are 'collectibles' and should be kept 'new in box' or something.

Every time a company with a product decides that what they make can be considered 'collectible' they tend to spew out loads of different (useless)versions in the hope of cashing in on the collectors market.

Most Barbie dolls are sold to collectors(or so I've been told), the same with most 'action figures'.
Want Darth Vader pictures on your bog roll?
4 different versions of the same comic, with the only difference being the foil-embossed covers?
(Yeah, Marvel, I'm looking at you... )
A Hello Kitty vibrator?

There's 'limited editions' of cars, where the only difference between it and the standard versions is that they've added a 'custom' paintscheme...
On all 20.000 of them...

So, collect markers if you want, but make certain they're used, or is aways usable, even if all you do with it is to 'decorate' a rusty wreck in the back yard. And never EVER use wording like 'collector piece', 'museum grade' or 'new in box' about them.

Yeah, I'm a collector...
Of vintage computers.
(Lost count somewhere after 200. And I doubt a single one of them qualify as 'museum grade'. Most of hem had a productive 'life' before I got hold of them. Even the Atmark Pippin console which I bought as 'new in box' can no longer be called that. Oh, and the reports are correct, it sucked... )

Nighthawke
Nighthawke

July 21st, 2012, 7:59 pm #4

Depending on the weather there should be another game this weekend, but my schedule is jam-packed right now. I can probably spare an hour, maybe two, but I certainly won't be able to load down the truck with an army's worth of gear and make a full day of it.

So I was making plans to just take one gun- probably that same 'Cocker, though I have HPA this time- a couple bags of paint, and basically just enough for one guy for a couple of games. No tools (!) no extra tanks, no boxful of pods and spare barrels, no nothin'.

And that made me think that it's been far too long- like a decade- since I've hit the field with a pump. Last one I can recall was a one-on-one with stock-class Phantoms with a buddy of mine in the woods out back. Even that has to have been '04 or at the absolute most recent '05 (and, by the way, I lost every time. )

I used to be pretty decent with a pump, since, you know, that all we had back when I started playing... So I've never really been a "spray and pray" type- though I'll admit I got a little carried away a couple of times a few weeks ago with an eTek.

So I did a little quick inventory. I have lots of pumps, but did I have any ready to go? There's the Eclipse Sterling that I traded for back in '99 or so, and which I've never had on the field (that I can recall- my memory dims) and which probably hasn't even been aired up since '03 or so. Sweet gun, but I have just the one barrel for it, and it's something like .695" or so. (And local paint seems to be .683" or even smaller.)

There's the aforementioned Phantom, which is tuned and tweaked and ready to go, but I'm rusty enough with a good semiauto. A pump alone will be suicidal enough without dropping all the way down to a 12-gram VSC with a 12-round feed tube.

Looking around some more, I have at least three Piranhas- the old brass ones- and at least one PMI-2-DF, but none are assembled, and a couple are icky enough they'd at least need a quick pass with the hone.

I do have a new-in-the-box new style Trracer I've never used, but if I may be allowed a bit of primadonnism, it's too cheap-tactical-plastic for my tastes. It's an option, but it feels like an overgrown Splatmaster. I'm a machinist- give me aluminum and brass and stainless steel.

It does, however, remind me that I have a nice Bushmaster, with both leverchanger and backbottle valve bodies. It's disassembled at the moment for fitting some SC bodies, but it'd take a few minutes at best to toss it back together. Only problem there is, again, the three barrels I have for it are all original styles- meaning more huge .695+" bores.

Besides, I wanted to finish the "California air" stock setup first- I like a lower shoulder than a backbottle.

What else? An unassembled PGP- again, 12 grams and 10 round feed. My Sydarm? That'd be fun, but again, kinda suicidal. I could assemble a Sniper- I have buckets of 'Cocker parts- but after looking around, I can't find any of my pump bits. The only pumps I can find are unfinished, and I have no pump rods- and both lathes are occupied with paying jobs so I can't thread one up real quick. I also seem to have a shortage of back blocks. All I have left are weird ones or P-block-body ones...

I have my old King Cobra- my first marker- but the last time I gassed it up was better than 15 years ago, and I don't think I ever got it above about 240 fps. The stock barrel is also about .698", though I do have a .690" J&J brass around here somewhere. That was a "tight bore" at the time.

There's my monster P-68-DS (Doc Special) with is a P-68-SC converted to direct feed, given a shotgun barrel rib and nickeled by Palmers. There's another one that hasn't seen air yet this century, and I've never had it on the playing field. Last I recall it was ready to go, just needs air...

But, as I stretch out a simple question into a ten-page ramble that'd make Steven King go "Get to the point already!" I remembered I have a brand-new, never-even-been-aired-up AMP Illusion that P3 gave me years ago. It's perfect- basically a fancy Sniper, I can use a good 'Cocker barrel... should be ready to go.

But, AMP is dead and gone, like many other companies over the years. I'm not worried about breaking the gun, I doubt I'll put more than 100 rounds through it during the day. (And that's if we even play- it's raining steadily as we speak.)

But I figured I'd ask; Should I keep it pristine and new as an example of a quality marker, and therefore perhaps retain whatever resale value it might have now or in the future, or should I go ahead and play with it? Are the AMP markers still desirable? Do they hold their value?

Doc.
As Mr. Rick Harrison of Pawn Stars puts it, "Collectors look for normal wear and tear on an item. If it gets cleaned up, removing the tarnish, nicks and wear off it, the value plummets."

Good, solid advice.

So go shoot it and enjoy marking up some poor sap wielding a plastic Wal-Mart special with your rare bear.

Just don't get crazy to the point where you use it in an tourney, huh?

Hans
Hans

July 21st, 2012, 8:01 pm #5

Doc.
Great piece of hardware, after they put in the upgraded valve stem. I used to pair mine with one of those Zap vibrating hoppers, a no-rise angel feed neck on it, and one of those small nitro-duck 4500ci tanks on a small drop.

But I didn't like the later version pump handle with the tapered forend, I found it slipped too easy when wearing gloves, I liked the earlier blocky handle better.

-Hans

Renegade_Azzy
Renegade_Azzy

July 22nd, 2012, 2:59 am #6

Doc.
Nothing says cool like your own personal fog generator on a humid day.

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

July 22nd, 2012, 9:11 am #7

Turned out to rain most of the day. It came and went in the early afternoon, but it was still blah enough I doubt anyone showed up. (Though admittedly, back in the day we'd be out there in the rain, or the snow... )

Instead I focused on my shopwork and the other projects that were pressing on me. I did remember that I had two other Icons or Mega-Zs in a box somewhere that I've been meaning to slap back together, but I didn't have time to go look.

I did, however, come across the remnants of the original PyroCocker, and brought those down to tinker sometime.

Doc.

Silcas
Silcas

July 23rd, 2012, 9:17 pm #8

Doc.
Doc,
I'll be back down to play with you all again on the 18th of August (Assuming the every two week schedule continues). I'll bring both my Phantoms (Both are set up for constant air and 180 Round hoppers.) Be fun to play some 1 on 1 with them!

Silcas

Andrew
Andrew

July 24th, 2012, 9:20 pm #9

Turned out to rain most of the day. It came and went in the early afternoon, but it was still blah enough I doubt anyone showed up. (Though admittedly, back in the day we'd be out there in the rain, or the snow... )

Instead I focused on my shopwork and the other projects that were pressing on me. I did remember that I had two other Icons or Mega-Zs in a box somewhere that I've been meaning to slap back together, but I didn't have time to go look.

I did, however, come across the remnants of the original PyroCocker, and brought those down to tinker sometime.

Doc.
About 20 people showed up at the mid point, pretty good for first week of reds and raining. Shoulda come out, we did a lot of limited ammo type games, generally 20 rounds or less per game, a lot of fun, but the rain did slow down the time between games while people cleaned lenses ect. We'll be out there again on the 4rth rain or shine, alough that is also the black hawk down weekend......