Air Pressure Mapping Test Equipment

Air Pressure Mapping Test Equipment

March 25th, 2017, 3:06 am #1

Hey Guys,

I am trying to build or buy a cheap Air system monitoring under 150-300.00

Objective:
Test Air Pressure systems on a prototype paintball gun bolt and regulators. Mapping air pressure fluctuation. To fine to design and trouble shoot problems. Similar to how a car maf works.

Requirement:

* time monitoring
* pressure 0-250 Psi
* Mapping the data in mili-second
* ability to export to a computer

March 25th, 2017, 3:58 am #2

or use an arduino to log to an SD card, since they have an onboard ADC and stuff.

March 25th, 2017, 1:29 pm #3

off the shelf?
https://www.microdaq.com/supco-logit-pr ... logger.php

or kitbash your own
to do you own you will need a decent temp sensor, decent pressure sensor or 2, dac or microporocessor with dac built in, custom software, and an sd card.

March 25th, 2017, 7:24 pm #4

or use an arduino to log to an SD card, since they have an onboard ADC and stuff.
The resolution of the pressure sensor and the resolution of your ADC will affect how precise your measurements would be. The ADC on the Arduino is 10 bit (2^10=1024), and the voltage range of the pressure sensor will determine the "step size" of your pressure reading.

You will have to do a little math to determine if your ADC is too course for the sensor, or if you can live with the imprecision.

March 25th, 2017, 8:37 pm #5

Hey Guys,

Objective:
Test Air Pressure systems on a prototype paintball gun bolt and regulators. Mapping air pressure fluctuation. To fine to design and trouble shoot problems. Similar to how a car maf works.

Requirement:

* time monitoring
* pressure 0-250 Psi
I picked one of these up from a boot fair last year for a couple of quid and was going to have a play...

https://labjack.com/products/u3

It is a U3-HV (High Voltage)

No idea how old or if it is working, but the software / drivers still seem to be available direct from LabJack.

You'd be able to test it with just a pot (i.e. quite cheaply)

Farnell do a 5v / 300psi transducer that looks about right (check before you buy) for under £30 :-http://uk.farnell.com/honeywell/px3af1b ... dp/2532216

If you pick up the DAC you can have it for free (I'm near Birmingham) or we can discuss postage

Cheers,

Greebo

March 26th, 2017, 2:28 am #6

The resolution of the pressure sensor and the resolution of your ADC will affect how precise your measurements would be. The ADC on the Arduino is 10 bit (2^10=1024), and the voltage range of the pressure sensor will determine the "step size" of your pressure reading.

You will have to do a little math to determine if your ADC is too course for the sensor, or if you can live with the imprecision.
thanks for the input guys!!

March 27th, 2017, 5:00 pm #7

Hey Guys,

Objective:

Requirement:

* time monitoring
* pressure 0-250 Psi
Getting one for 150 might be difficult. I built one ontop of MCCDAQ close to this modelhttp://www.mccdaq.com/usb-data-acquisit ... eries.aspx. Then purchased around 5 pressure transducers from Ebay ranging from super high pressure 3K to 200psi. Then wrote some software to grab the data from the DAQ, write it to a database and then generate the graphs. I did a bunch of regulator testing back in the day. At one point I charted in 3 spots, Tank HP side, Tank LP side and Regulator LP side to see how it flows. If you have any questions feel free to drop me a mail at mattdurham@ppog.org