A very stupid angle grinder question...

9:20 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #1

I've picked up an angle grinder at the local big box store for some light metal cutting work (mainly reducing some bent metal poles to a size where I can put them in the trash/recycle bin), and I've purchased some appropriate metal cutting discs for that purpose. 

The documentation on the grinder and the cutting discs do not state if the metal ring on the disc should face the grinder?  Does it matter as long as it's mounted on the clamp nut and flange correctly? (i.e., am I overthinking this?) Thanks!

9:37 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #2

If the disc is indented then the up side goes towards the grinder so the nut can sit in the recess. Otherwise I don't think it matters.

10:07 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #3

I've seen zipcut wheels shipped without the metal center ring. I think its mainly to provide a thrust surface for the nut when you are tightening it.

11:20 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #4

Just as a rule of thumb- it's by no means a hard and fast rule- but just generally speaking, mount the wheel so that any writing/printing or labels face the body of the grinder. (Assuming the wheel can be mounted either way.)

Doc.

12:03 AM - Oct 11, 2018 #5

Cool. I'm going to be doing the work tomorrow, I'll let folks know if I set the house | yard | neighborhood | myself on fire. 😎

12:10 AM - Oct 11, 2018 #6

jecook wrote: ...I'll let folks know if I set the house | yard | neighborhood | myself on fire. 😎
You don't need to notify us. If you do it right, it'll be on the evening news.
A little knowledge is..... the default setting.

1:26 AM - Oct 11, 2018 #7

The blade shattering and shards flying into your skull are more of a concern than a fire. Use the guard and a face shield.

2:08 AM - Oct 11, 2018 #8

Mark-T wrote: The blade shattering and shards flying into your skull are more of a concern than a fire. Use the guard and a face shield.
Yep. I thought dremel wheels blowing up were pretty bad, but this is on a whole 'nother level. Yesterday I managed to get a bunch of road gunk all over me whilst mucking around with a starter motor on a car, and I went 'I'm getting too old for this crap' and bought a face shield this morning along with the tool.😁

3:05 AM - Oct 11, 2018 #9

When it comes to safety I'm reminded of something my uncle often says....

"There are Old Pilots, and there are Bold Pilots, but there are no Old Bold Pilots"

Glad to see you taking safety seriously (wear ear protection too! ear protection is too often overlooked until it is far too late)

5:15 AM - Oct 11, 2018 #10

Earplugs are a must with grinders. They are extremely loud. I've taken a liking to faceshield/earmuff/hardhat combos because the faceshield and earmuffs are on one self contained unit instead of fighting with multiple pieces of PPE.

A dust mask might be considered if you are working indoors as well. It will at least keep the black gunk out of your nose.