A bit or a reality check to a internet legend.

May 17th, 2018, 4:31 am #1

I would be very surprised if anyone here as NOT seen the picture titled Readneck mansion.

http://honestlywtf.com/wp-content/uploa ... railer.jpg

Well the truth is FAR simpler and ordinary then the fiction.  The 'mansion' is a cropped picture of a outdoor stage set for a play way back in 2005.  The website Hoax-Slayer has the whole story.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/redneck-mansion.shtml

May 17th, 2018, 6:56 am #2

So?  
The fact is that it's STILL what every trailer-dwelling redneck is dreaming about getting when they get rich... 

May 17th, 2018, 10:06 am #3

Not that I'm really complaining, but was there really a need to post about a debunked photo that's been circulating for something like 15 years, and which your own source debunked a decade ago? 😁

Interesting side note: That's one of many pictures over a years that I never saw UNTIL it was being "debunked". Somebody posted that to an old board I was on back in '05 or '06, with the legend "This Is Not Real!"

I looked at it and thought that sure looks real enough. If it's CGI, it's damned fine work.  "No, it's not a real redneck mansion!" Oh, was it supposed to be? "Yeah, that's what people have been calling it." Oh. Looks like part of a park setting to me...

Etc, etc. 😁

Doc.

May 17th, 2018, 10:10 am #4

Snowtroll wrote:The fact is that it's STILL what every trailer-dwelling redneck is dreaming about getting when they get rich...
-Reminds me of the old Steve Martin flick The Jerk. His adoptive family is shown early on in a ramshackle cabin. Later, after Navin gets rich, they use the money to build a bigger house- which looks exactly the same as the original cabin, just everything's larger. 😁

But, in reality, knowing a few people who have lived in trailer-houses over the years, I never met a single one that didn't want to move out and get a proper house as soon as they possibly could.

Doc.

May 17th, 2018, 3:37 pm #5

My mothers friend just moved out of a real house into a double wide.  

May 17th, 2018, 5:02 pm #6

I've been in a few double wides that were built as well as most modern stick-built houses. Properly anchored they're about as sturdy. But they tend to be priced about the same as a small house too. It's the cheap trailers like mine that give mobile homes a bad name.
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

May 17th, 2018, 7:30 pm #7

My bad,  I neglected to saw USED double wide.

May 17th, 2018, 7:30 pm #8

*say

May 18th, 2018, 3:38 pm #9

... this is weird; the podcast 99% Invisible did an [url=https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/immobile-homes/]episode this week[/url] on  'manufactured homes' (the preferred title for mobile homes that live in trailer parks and such) which is when this thread started.

May 18th, 2018, 4:05 pm #10

First I've seen of it.  I have seen people building houses out of shipping containers.  Depending upon your local building codes that seems like a pretty neat idea.