6-legged walking robot

6-legged walking robot

tkzv
tkzv

August 11th, 2012, 10:25 pm #1

Those people are gathering money to build a 6-legged walking machine able to carry 2 people:http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pro ... g-robot-0/

I've got a question to steel workers here. What is the cheapest method of cutting all those parts? Is it really waterjet as they say?

Le_KiD_Qc
Le_KiD_Qc

August 12th, 2012, 2:48 am #2

Normally, at the shop I work, we prefer to go with laser cutting because it's cheaper, but it as less capabilities than water-jet. Normally with laser, you can cut to 1" thick steel or 1/2" thick aluminium, but with water-jet you can cut almost any material to almost 4" thick depending on the machine you have. But this capabilities come with a higher cost.
And if you don't need a good quality cut and precision, you can go with "oxy-coupage" or torch cutting on a CNC table with a capacity to cut almost 4" thick steel plate or also plasma cutter who might be cheaper than laser, but higher than "oxy-coupage" and now, you can have a really nice cut and precision with a plasma cutter.

So, to list it from cheaper to higher, it will be from my experience:
-Oxy-coupage
-Plasma
-Laser
-Water-jet

Le_KiD_Qc
Sorry for the bad English, I'm a French guy!

tkzv
tkzv

August 12th, 2012, 10:47 am #3

Thanks for the explanation. But how much finishing work do those methods need? The choice of water-jet was explained by it being very precise and clean and not needing any finishing after the first cut. Thus making it cheapest. Is it so?

Le_KiD_Qc
Le_KiD_Qc

August 12th, 2012, 2:34 pm #4

It's all depends on the thickness you are cutting, the quality you are looking for and the type of paint you are going to put on the finish product. If you powder coat your product after, the thickness of powder coat will hide some of the imperfection that a paint that is a automotive quality won't hide.

Also, you will always have finishing work to do on your product. Normally you don't want a sharp corner on any piece of your product, so you will need to break the corner even if it's cut by water-jet. Also, if you are welding your product, you will also need to clean the weld, so giving a quick pass of buffer on the edge is not so long.

To finish, the precision of laser or water-jet don't give you the precision you need if you want to make a bearing fit or anything that you need more than 0.005" of precision, so if you need some precision at some place of your piece, you will need to put it on another machine to get this precision.

If you want to see the capacity of some type of cutting, you can go at this webpage:http://www.cbrlaser.com/capacite-des-machines.php

They give the thickness of the plate, the minimal hole you can have and the precision the machine can give. If you look carfully, you will see that the laser have a better precision than water-jet, but the quality of the cut is better for water-jet. You have less of a "wave" on the side of product, but it's there!

I don't know if it's of any help for you, but it's the reason we go with laser at the shop I work.

Le_KiD_Qc

Le_KiD_Qc
Le_KiD_Qc

August 12th, 2012, 5:48 pm #5

is that you can engrave with laser and not with water-jet. So if you have small hole that you want to drill, you can mark the position with a "X" engraved on the steel plate. The "X" will be precisely positioned versus the contour of the piece, so you don't have to trace yourself the hole and it's hard to trace at a precision of 0.005" like the machine can do.

Le_KiD_Qc

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

August 17th, 2012, 8:32 pm #6

Thanks for the explanation (n/t).