5/16/2018 TWB

3:40 PM - May 16, 2018 #1

I can't help but wonder what the part was. 🤔

7:34 AM - May 17, 2018 #2

Jeb_Hoge wrote: I can't help but wonder what the part was. 🤔
Anything from Brass Eagle is a safe bet. Past that all the systems and models have some defenders.

9:57 AM - May 17, 2018 #3

I deliberately made it obscure. 😁

This strip is an example of the difference between being able to fix something, and being able to afford to fix something.

Honestly, there's little on the average paintball gun that I couldn't fix, repair or even make from scratch, given a bit of time. But somebody isn't going to pay me $100 to hand-make a part for a marker, that could be bought for $20 as a replacement part.

I once had a customer ask me if I could sleeve (!) the bore of a Rock LP regulator, as it had some scratches and thus leaked. I said yes, but it's kind of fiddly and wouldn't be cheap. Is it a rare part or match-anodized to the gun? No, it was just an off-the-shelf Rock. I said hey, you're looking at $120 plus shipping to repair it. A new Rock is $60.

Doc.

9:33 PM - May 17, 2018 #4

In any restoration project, Ian Malcolm's Law applies.

"Question One: Can it be restored to like-new? Question Two: *SHOULD* it be restored to like-new?"
CF

"The right tool for the right job." [Anon.]
"Any tool can be the Right Tool." [Red Green]

3:48 PM - May 18, 2018 #5

Exactly. Geoffrey Crocker did a 10 part series where he restored (partly rebuilt, actually) an Elliott Progress 2G  drill press.  He did it partly because a brand new one with that feature set was outside his budget, and partly for the same reasons that Doc (and others here) rebuild Old Iron. (the series starts here:  in case y'all are interested.)

5:13 AM - May 21, 2018 #6

jecook wrote: Exactly. Geoffrey Crocker did a 10 part series where he restored (partly rebuilt, actually) an Elliott Progress 2G  drill press.  He did it partly because a brand new one with that feature set was outside his budget, and partly for the same reasons that Doc (and others here) rebuild Old Iron. (the series starts here:  in case y'all are interested.)
Aha, his has a smiley-face just like Doc's new project! (I like how he calls it a smiley-face of neglect, though I think it was likely intentional!)

8:14 AM - May 21, 2018 #7

Smiley face? What bit am I working on that has a "smiley face"? Do you mean the table damage of the Exacto mill? (Which is the same kind of idiot-operator damage, but certainly not arranged in a "smiley face."

Doc.

1:04 PM - May 21, 2018 #8

DocsMachine wrote: Smiley face? What bit am I working on that has a "smiley face"? Do you mean the table damage of the Exacto mill? (Which is the same kind of idiot-operator damage, but certainly not arranged in a "smiley face."

Doc.
Ah, I was remembering incorrectly, that was a different machine rebuild I'd recently seen somewhere else. Sorry for the confusion. Late night browsing/commenting/conflating. Now I'm trying to remember where I saw that... Drat my memory.