3D Printer experts...

3D Printer experts...

March 10th, 2018, 11:53 pm #1

Quick question: What's the current status on affordable, home-shop 3D scanners, in order to make a digital model of something?

I know I've asked this before, or at least it's been talked about before, but i'm wondering what the latest is.

Is there a good, sub-$1,000, or better yet, a sub-$500 scanner that could make a fairly high resolution model of an object? Is there one that could do a model within, say, a few thou accuracy?

I know that in almost all cases the model will have to be tweaked, I presume especially with the cheaper units, but if I could scan something and get a good 75% or more of the model done, and only needing moderate tweaking from there, that'd be a big help.

Doc.

March 11th, 2018, 1:48 am #2

Not a dew-can-in-Doc's-line-of-sight's chance in hell at the price range you can afford.

I've tested six models for my business all sub $5,000.  You have to spend hours getting the lighting and the position just right.   They will not scan shiny objects, certain colors and geometries are not picked up by the scan process,  the file requires massive tweaking and cleaning and the output is not very detailed.
It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.

March 11th, 2018, 2:44 am #3

I was afraid of that. Thanks for the info!

Doc.

March 11th, 2018, 4:20 am #4

The post above talked about optical scanners. Weren't there some physical scanners?

March 11th, 2018, 4:33 am #5

Well, in a way, yes. You can get a 3D 'taster', a small unit that goes in the spindle of your 3-axis mill, and use it, along with a special program, to digitize a surface.

The tip of the 'taster' is generally a small sphere if precisely known dimension, and the software will tell the axis to move over a bit, then down- as soon as the tip touches the part, a data point is recorded. It then lifts the tip, moves over a bit, and repeats, producing a second data point, and so on.

It can be very precise, but is limited to the surface it can 'taste'- that is, it can't do undercuts and things like that. But you can pre-set how many data points you want- one per inch, 500 per inch, etc.

I found out that the company that makes my CNC lathe controller, Centroid, makes a 'taster' and sells the software that plugs right in to their Acorn mill-control boards. It's supposed to be very good- Centroid is a well respected maker of professional, industrial-level software- but it's not cheap. Like between $4K and $8K for the probe and software.

Doc.

March 11th, 2018, 5:21 am #6

Makerbot had a really good optical scanner around 2012-2013 that gave good results but they dropped support for it real fast.   Not because it was trash,  but because there were too many objections over what corporations felt was an impending tidal-wave of copyright violation.    The pundets and google-experten all proclaimed that it would be possible to literally xerox physical objects at the flip of a switch.

Even the full-sized structured-light-and-ultra-sound super-detail body-scanners cannot do this,  nor will it be practical to do so within the next 10 years.    We simply do not have the hardware to scan "any given object" into a machine-manipulable format nor do we have three-d printers here or on the drawing board that can print "any given object."
It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.

March 11th, 2018, 6:10 am #7

This is an actual unretouched scan of my ugly mug.       Leave it to technology to make a bad thing worse.  :P  

Anyway,  this is the raw output.   I dwarf my 3D printer platform by several orders of magnitude.  I have another copy sitting on my other computer of my "head" towering over the Nebraska state capitol and blocking traffic a dozen blocks away.    That's an actual thing that happened then I started taking my anti-psychotics again.

MOVING ALONG,  you can see how much work it would take to produce usable copies of my head.    WHAT you would use them for I have no idea.     Knife holders?  Print them out of TPU and sell them as krushable-stress-balls?    Put a dingle-bell in it and give it to your cat?

We have a long way to go as you can see.

March 11th, 2018, 6:21 am #8

Here is a more refined version of the same file.    I forget what we were trying to do,  I seem to recall "bottle stoppers for novelty horror-themed beer."    Anyway.   You can see how much work it took to go from raw scan to "usable" file.

And this was a fairly sophisticated scanner too.

March 11th, 2018, 6:37 am #9

And here is the STL file should you desire to make a copy of my head for some reason.

Untold years from now archeologists from a new civilization will find them in the trash heaps and go "This.   This man was clearly a god.  Worshiped by many then discarded."   

Or more likely they'll go "...why the heck would they waste raw material on such frivolous crap?"

March 11th, 2018, 2:23 pm #10

Lord [Redacted] wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 6:37 am
Or more likely they'll go "...why the heck would they waste raw material on such frivolous crap?"
Or more likely still: "Another one? Didn't these people have anything better to do with their time?"

You know, using a bust (not necessarily yours - I can think of a few better candidates) as a knife block isn't a half bad idea. So I'm sure somebody's already thought of it.
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!