3D Printer experts...

March 11th, 2018, 5:33 pm #11

hinermad wrote: You know, using a bust (not necessarily yours - I can think of a few better candidates) as a knife block isn't a half bad idea. So I'm sure somebody's already thought of it.
Make it politically themed and you are ready to milk upcoming elections.

March 11th, 2018, 6:02 pm #12

Puffie40 wrote:Make it politically themed and you are ready to milk upcoming elections.
Not me! Pick the wrong candidate and you get a visit from the Secret Service. Several visits. Maybe some invitations to come visit them.

Some people have no sense of humor whatsoever, and many of them have badges.
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

March 11th, 2018, 8:14 pm #13

That's why I had to put a strict rule regarding guns, politics and religion in place.  I run a Facebook group for 3D printing and things got out of hand several times.   The simple act of printing a cross caused a huge flamewar.     Someone printed a Trump bobblehead and that resulted (no joke) in terrorist threats and someone got arrested IRL.     Guns... I worked in the firearms industry briefly I know what a quagmire the LEGAL side can be let alone the political/emotional side.

Despite stripping those things away we still function as a group,  there is plenty to discuss and debate and amazingly enough no one gets ass-chapped when those subjects are avoided! 
It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.

March 12th, 2018, 4:23 am #14

I'm kind of the opinion that the whole point of 3d printers, mini-mills, home shops, and et cetera, is that people can make anything they want.  If somebody wants to make a cross, fine.  Christians will like it.  If somebody else wants to make a pentacle, that's fine too.  Witches will like it.  If another person wants to 3-d print a little Buddha statue, that's great.  Buddhists will like it.  If a fourth person wants to carve a likeness of the face of the prophet Mohammed into a slab of marble, that's - well, okay, it's a little annoying because there's no point in doing it except that Muslims will hate it.  That's somebody deliberately trying to stir up trouble.  But even so I figure he's (or she's) got the right to do it, if it's done with tools and materials of his (or her) own.

I don't have a problem, in fact, until the moment any of them starts telling others what they *CAN'T* make.

March 12th, 2018, 4:31 am #15

Yeah, the legalities of manufacturing guns are a mess.  But that goes back to "you don't get to use anybody else's machinery to do something that could possibly get them into trouble."  If Joe manufactures a weapon in his own shop with his own tools, complying with the law or getting busted on it is his responsibility.  If he asks to use somebody else's materials, tools or machinery on something that could become the cause of legal trouble, or on anything they personally find upsetting or consider stupid, the expected answer is "No."

March 12th, 2018, 6:42 pm #16

Thinkertoys wrote: Yeah, the legalities of manufacturing guns are a mess.  But that goes back to "you don't get to use anybody else's machinery to do something that could possibly get them into trouble."  If Joe manufactures a weapon in his own shop with his own tools, complying with the law or getting busted on it is his responsibility.  If he asks to use somebody else's materials, tools or machinery on something that could become the cause of legal trouble, or on anything they personally find upsetting or consider stupid, the expected answer is "No."
A *giant* mess.
There was at least one machine shop that got busted by the BATFE for running events that let people come in and 'push the start button' to mill a finished lower receiver out of either an 80% finished blank or a complete blank.

Personally, I think some of the rules that have been cooked up by the feds are silly, but them's the rules we gots...

March 12th, 2018, 10:31 pm #17

The one that holds me back is the buddy of mine who got sued inside out over a flashlight mount.

Gun was owned by a legitimate "responsible" owner.   Gun was stolen in a break-in.   Gun was then used in a high-profile bloody-murder-type crime.    Up-and-coming "politically biased" prosecutor with an agenda went after every single component of the gun,  sued the maker of every little spring, screw, moving part, the metal suppliers,  plastic suppliers, the manufacturer, and all the accessory providers.

When the dust cleared my buddy was on the hook for a small plastic flashlight clip that he designed that "aided and facilitated the deaths of blah blah blah" and lost everything.

So until that horse[censored] stops I refuse to even provide decals or stickers off my cutter.
It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.