20180625 - dynamite

June 26th, 2018, 11:36 am #11

Isn't that Calvin?

Wonder if Hobbes is real in this universe?

June 26th, 2018, 5:03 pm #12

Hey_Allen wrote:
csadn wrote: "Yes, we have FOOF, but it's behind the counter -- *WAY* behind the counter...."
Ha!
Good reading over here:  http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/ar ... difluoride

I just wish that Derek Lowe was still publishing his "Things I won't work with" blog.
I just finished re-reading Ignition! by John Clark, Amazon has a new Kindle edition that is properly typeset and not the bad scanned version they had before. Laughed like hell at the experiments with mercaptans as fuels and ending up with a fuel whose stink could not only not be described in the English language, but drew flies, stank up the test stand for years and had to be disposed of by sinking the barrel into San Francisco bay at night.

June 26th, 2018, 7:45 pm #13

If I'm reading the product description correctly, the paperback version is also the fresh reissue as well. In either case, well worth it.

June 26th, 2018, 7:53 pm #14

BruceTheLoon wrote: I just finished re-reading Ignition! by John Clark, Amazon has a new Kindle edition that is properly typeset and not the bad scanned version they had before. Laughed like hell at the experiments with mercaptans as fuels and ending up with a fuel whose stink could not only not be described in the English language, but drew flies, stank up the test stand for years and had to be disposed of by sinking the barrel into San Francisco bay at night.
I was going through some of my father's old paperwork -- he is in fact a Rocket Engineer. (All those vertically-landing rockets you've seen? Yo.) One of them was a paper on making rocket fuel... from ClF3.

The fellow I was looking through it all with saw that, and looked at me; I said, "*NOW* you know where I get it from." >:)
CF

"The right tool for the right job." [Anon.]
"Any tool can be the Right Tool." [Red Green]

June 26th, 2018, 8:45 pm #15

jecook wrote: If I'm reading the product description correctly, the paperback version is also the fresh reissue as well. In either case, well worth it.
Looks like it is, the ISBN-13 number is sequentially after the ones listed for the hard cover and the various e-books on the Rutgers Press website even though it doesn't list a paperback edition there.

June 26th, 2018, 9:17 pm #16

sendaz wrote: Isn't that Calvin?

-I should have done something like have a framed photo of Hobbes- the "real", stuffed version- on the wall in the background. 😁

And yeah, I emulated the style on the "grown up Calvin" from some comics I saw a few years ago, that were superbly well done, emulating Watterson's style and showing a twentysomething Calvin and a grown up presumably-Suzie Derkins, who had grown up , gotten married, and had a little girl. The little girl was"the new Calvin" in the comics (about a half dozen strips.)

They were very well done- Suzie and Calvin were grown up, but still had a lot of the kid in them. Calvin declaring he was eating a "crushed bat" sandwich, etc. The little girl of course both having the imagination to bring Hobbes to life, but also being grounded enough she found her parents antics a little weird. 😁

Doc.

June 26th, 2018, 9:36 pm #17

Something tells me 'Calvin's' project is NOT your average Science Fair volcano....

A half-scale model of Krakatoa, maybe?
Breakfast.com halted. Cereal port not ready.

June 26th, 2018, 11:14 pm #18

DocsMachine wrote:

-I should have done something like have a framed photo of Hobbes- the "real", stuffed version- on the wall in the background. 😁

And yeah, I emulated the style on the "grown up Calvin" from some comics I saw a few years ago, that were superbly well done, emulating Watterson's style and showing a twentysomething Calvin and a grown up presumably-Suzie Derkins, who had grown up , gotten married, and had a little girl. The little girl was"the new Calvin" in the comics (about a half dozen strips.)

They were very well done- Suzie and Calvin were grown up, but still had a lot of the kid in them. Calvin declaring he was eating a "crushed bat" sandwich, etc. The little girl of course both having the imagination to bring Hobbes to life, but also being grounded enough she found her parents antics a little weird. 😁

Doc.
You probably mean 'Bacon and Hobbes';  The gent that does "Pants are overrated"  did a handful of them. they are interspersed into the normal comic on his site. (Start here: http://www.pantsareoverrated.com/archiv ... and-bacon/ )

June 27th, 2018, 12:15 am #19

"Legit college project". Which frat pissed him off?

June 27th, 2018, 12:16 am #20

If he is, he's slacking off on keeping his buddy unblown up.