September 4th, 2018, 7:54 pm #71

eddi wrote:
Jelsemium wrote: My father made a coffee table and specifically rounded off all the edges so we girls wouldn't get hurt on it. I whacked my head on it and needed stitches, anyway.
I managed to sneak out of my high chair and did a swan dive into the kitchen table. I only about two so I only know second hand. But I still have a vertical groove in my skull from it. And there was a visible scar until I was in my 30s when it faded.
I had a scar on my forehead that I can still feel, plus I wore glasses. I was teased about both while I was in school. I wish Harry Potter had been around back then.
Love thou the rose, yet leave it on its stem. -- Edward Bulwer-Lytton

September 4th, 2018, 8:47 pm #72

BMX bicycle.

Horse trails.

California Redwoods.

"Still payin' for *that* ride, thankyouverymuch."
CF

"The right tool for the right job." [Anon.]
"Any tool can be the Right Tool." [Red Green]

September 4th, 2018, 10:30 pm #73

Heck, I still have a gimpy left hand from a nasty bike accident clear back in the '90's.  The only reason I'm alive is because I became an early believer in helmets.

September 5th, 2018, 1:13 am #74

When I was four I stuck the detachable power cord from Mom's electric shaver into my mouth, which was full of water at the time. I remember picking up the cord and wondering what would happen (I knew even then that water conducted electricity), but I don't remember much after that. Mom said she heard a loud WHUMP in the bathroom and then me squalling at the top of my lungs. She found me sitting against the wall across from the sink, with the skin around my mouth bright red.
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

September 5th, 2018, 1:27 am #75

Damn, you're lucky to have survived that.  Childhood should be declared a combat zone, I believe.

September 5th, 2018, 1:59 am #76

hinermad wrote: When I was four I stuck the detachable power cord from Mom's electric shaver into my mouth, which was full of water at the time. I remember picking up the cord and wondering what would happen (I knew even then that water conducted electricity), but I don't remember much after that. Mom said she heard a loud WHUMP in the bathroom and then me squalling at the top of my lungs. She found me sitting against the wall across from the sink, with the skin around my mouth bright red.
And now you know why GFCI Outlets for outdoor outlets, in bathrooms, wet-bars and kitchens by the sink are flat out required, and you want to test that they work regularly.   3 MA trip level is low enough to catch most anything a kid could do trying to kill themselves. 

And for fountains with cheap-ass pumps that like to nuisance trip you can get "Equipment GFCI Breakers" with a 20 MA trip.  Have had to do that on a few commercial fountains. 

September 5th, 2018, 3:43 am #77

BruceBergman wrote:
hinermad wrote: When I was four I stuck the detachable power cord from Mom's electric shaver into my mouth, which was full of water at the time. I remember picking up the cord and wondering what would happen (I knew even then that water conducted electricity), but I don't remember much after that. Mom said she heard a loud WHUMP in the bathroom and then me squalling at the top of my lungs. She found me sitting against the wall across from the sink, with the skin around my mouth bright red.
And now you know why GFCI Outlets for outdoor outlets, in bathrooms, wet-bars and kitchens by the sink are flat out required, and you want to test that they work regularly.   3 MA trip level is low enough to catch most anything a kid could do trying to kill themselves. 

And for fountains with cheap-ass pumps that like to nuisance trip you can get "Equipment GFCI Breakers" with a 20 MA trip.  Have had to do that on a few commercial fountains. 
Would a GFCIhave worked?

The shaver cords from my youth were two conductor. With a mouth full of water the current path would have been hot to mouth water to neutral. No connection to ground to sense a current flow. 

September 5th, 2018, 4:12 am #78

Antknot wrote:
BruceBergman wrote:

Would a GFCIhave worked?

The shaver cords from my youth were two conductor. With a mouth full of water the current path would have been hot to mouth water to neutral. No connection to ground to sense a current flow. 
That's the whole idea - If it goes out on the Hot and doesn't come back on the Neutral, that must mean it's going to the Electrical ground OR the water pipe ground OR earth ground somehow - or a mix of all of the above.  The GFCI senses the Hot to Neutral imbalance and trips.  

September 5th, 2018, 4:13 am #79

My introduction to electricity was at age 4, from my father, who told me that electricity would bite me. I removed the bulb from my bedlight and put my finger (only one, thankfully) into the light socket to see how something without teeth could bite. Luckily, the bedlight wasn't earthed, and my bed was insulated from ground.
Breakfast.com halted. Cereal port not ready.

September 5th, 2018, 4:35 am #80

I remember one time when I was about six, I think. I was trying to unplug something. Being a dainty little thing with tiny, weak fingers, I didn't have enough strength to just pull the plug the regular way. I got it about halfway out and wrapped my hand around it to get a firm grip and make another tug. I touched some metal that was still in the wall plug. Yowtch! 

It took many years to break me of the subsequent habit of pulling plugs by holding the wire.
Love thou the rose, yet leave it on its stem. -- Edward Bulwer-Lytton