Timeless on NBC

ecgordon
ecgordon

October 3rd, 2016, 9:44 am #1

New show starting tonight at 10pm E/P on NBC. Timeless concerns a group of people recruited to hunt down a man (Goran Visnjic) who has used a time machine to journey to the past, the theory being that he will change history. I'm willing to bet it's the people searching for him that cause the most problems in the time stream. I won't be watching live, but will wait for critic and viewer review's before bothering with it on Hulu. I do like Abigail Spencer, but I'm concerned about how they will write a present-day black man into previous historical periods. Could be good, could be ridiculous. It has my vote for the show most likely to be the first cancellation this year.

tek ni
tek ni

October 4th, 2016, 12:16 am #2

Well, I enjoyed the pilot, and I think the mystery that's being set up has real promise, on a number of fronts. I certainly hope the show lasts long enough to fully establish the mythology and deliver some good answers to all the questions it set up.

venessarivelli
venessarivelli

October 28th, 2016, 3:18 am #3

When I read the first post about Goran being onboard with this project (here: http://www.cbr.com/nbcs-time-travel-pil ... n-visnjic/)... I thought to myself that this guy has a thing about Sci-Fi lately. First Extant, now this. I admire his courage

ecgordon
ecgordon

October 31st, 2016, 9:04 am #4

I remember when Extant started and people were talking about wanting to see it because of Goran, but I didn't know who he was, not ever watching ER. I only watched the first season of Extant, and right now I can't be sure I'll continue with Timeless. I did catch up this weekend. The underlying mystery of Flynn's agenda, along with the cypher that is Rittenhouse, are the only elements that might keep me watching. The week to week missions are not well written or acted IMO.

EDIT: I've been assuming that Rittenhouse is some sort of government think tank or covert espionage group, and what Flynn is trying to do is to keep that organization from ever being formed. Yet the means to his end are all over the map, both geographically and timewise. First, the Hindenberg, next Lincoln's assassination, then early 60s Las Vegas, but we now know that was to get a power source for his time machine. Why he wanted to kill Von Braun, or use him for his own purposes, we may never know. Now they're going to 1836 to the Battle of the Alamo. Is Davy Crockett a key to the puzzle? Next week's ep is titled "The Watergate Tape." Are they going to be tasked with protecting Rose Mary Woods? I'm not really sensing any coherent pattern here.
Last edited by ecgordon on October 31st, 2016, 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

ecgordon
ecgordon

November 7th, 2016, 7:19 pm #5

I'm a Texan, but I've always had ambivalent feelings about our revolution against Mexico, so people like Bowie and Crockett are not heroes to me, and I can't say Flynn wanting the revolt to fail would have been a completely bad thing. The only reason Americans came to Texas is because Mexico encouraged them with low land prices, mainly to populate the area for protection against the Comanche and other tribes. I won't say there weren't some questionable actions from Mexico, mainly high taxes, but last week's episode was correct that they had abolished slavery in the territory. Most of the Anglo settlers were from the Southern states, and that did not please them. It couldn't have been easy for Rufus to know he was helping maintain the history that brought slavery back to the state. The entire history of the US has been one of white privilege, manifest destiny, wresting control from whoever was in the way. Texas was no exception. I know most people would consider that opinion to be unpatriotic. Maybe so, but it's my honest opinion. The United States has done some great things, but the closet that holds all the skeletons is huge.

I'm still puzzled by Flynn's agenda, and the haphazard way he's going about the task. I know the show wouldn't last long if he went way back and made one significant change before they could figure out where he was and what he was up to. Instead we're going to get a long, confusing journey, probably without substantial answers all season.

ecgordon
ecgordon

May 11th, 2017, 5:24 pm #6

Eric Kripke is reportedly shopping the show around to other networks, now that NBC has cancelled it. It did get better as the season went on, with their historical research being very accurate. I would have continued to watch it if renewed, and will check it out if it ends up somewhere else.

EDIT: NBC has reconsidered their decision. There will be more Timeless, although details are sketchy at this point. The episode count will likely be reduced, and it might be held for Spring '18.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/timeles ... 202426038/

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... al-1003568
Last edited by ecgordon on May 13th, 2017, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ecgordon
ecgordon

March 10th, 2018, 3:22 pm #7

Rufus was successful in his mission to go back a few days to persuade NBC to rescind their cancellation order. Starting tomorrow night, Sunday March 11, we will find out if his efforts were worth it. 10PM EDT/9 Central. I'll probably wait for it on Hulu myself.

I'm surprised this will be on Sundays, I expected Friday at the worst, Monday as still likely, since that's where it was last year. Can't remember if it had The Voice as lead-in last year since I've never watched that, but this year the new show Good Girls gets that cushy spot.