The Expanse saved by Amazon

ecgordon
ecgordon

May 26th, 2018, 8:50 am #1

I realize I didn't post anything about the beginning of Season 3, but hardly anybody responds to these things any way. Almost immediately after the airing of the 6th episode this year, Syfy announced that they would not be renewing The Expanse past the end of this season. Fan activity has been incredible, including flying a #SaveTheExpanse banner around Amazon Studios offices in Santa Monica, and sending a model of the ship Rocinante to near space with a weather balloon. Lots on social media too of course, with cast member Cas Anvar being the unofficial lead cheerleader. Cas was also a panel member at this year's International Space Development Conference in Los Angeles, along with Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos. Last night Bezos announced that Amazon Studios would be producing more seasons of The Expanse as a Prime original program.

This was the ideal choice since Amazon already has the streaming rights to the previous two seasons, and would have likely added the third to their lineup later, even if this deal had not been made. I don't know if Amazon has a streaming program outside the US, and since Netflix International has The Expanse on their platform, that might be bad news for fans in other parts of the world. For me, who had been considering dropping Prime this year, it is now out of the question to do so.

Long live The Expanse!

ecgordon
ecgordon

July 2nd, 2018, 10:12 pm #2

Now that Amazon has come to the rescue, and the show is done on Syfy, I have a few, hopefully spoiler-free, comments about Season 3.

I made a few minor edits, mostly in the third paragraph, focusing primarily on Elizabeth Mitchell's character.