Story of SF on AMC

ecgordon
ecgordon

April 30th, 2018, 2:30 pm #1

According to IMDb the full title is AMC Visionaries: James Cameron's Story of Science Fiction. It premieres tonight at 10:05pm EDT immediately following The Terror. No word on number of episodes, but tonight's is subtitled "Aliens" and next week it will be "Space." Tomorrow I can check to see if there will be another on the 14th. There may be some discussion of books, but all of the people listed are from films: Cameron, Guillermo del Toro, George Lucas, Christopher Nolan, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Ridley Scott, Will Smith, Steven Spielberg, and Sigourney Weaver.

EDIT: I didn't watch last night, since Elementary was on at the same time. I'll check it out soon if it's On Demand. The third episode is "Monsters" on the 14th, but it won't start until 10:20 EDT due to an extra long The Terror ep. There will be discussions with various writers, since N. K. Jemisin tweeted that she participated, although I don't know if that's in the first one.

ecgordon
ecgordon

May 1st, 2018, 7:26 pm #2

Of course, it is a TV show, so the primary focus is on the visual medium. Several authors make comments, but the only one who actually says something about his story is Ted Chiang, but only in the context of how "Story of Your Life" was adapted into the movie Arrival. Other writers include David Gerrold (very brief comment in the first minute), Annalee Newitz, Nnedi Okorafor, Ken Liu, Nalo Hopinson, and N. K. Jemisin. I don't think I'll bother with next week. While the intention might be to appeal to mainstream audiences to convince them SF is a serious genre, it's mainly for film geeks already into it.